repair tools (just in case of final drive failure)

Johnwhit

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
looking for a bit of help please. I have the r1150gs (2001)
I purchased the final drive bearing and seal a while ago and want to put together a 'kit' to be sent to me if I get stuck miles away from home.
I'm looking to ask for every tool that will be needed to replace the final drive bearing so I can put it in a box with the bearing and if needed will ask those at home to post over the box.
can someone 'in the know' put a list together of everything needed to replace the bearing out in the middle of nowhere so I can get the tools needed (just in case)

Also, I understand to replace the ignition pickups it is a simple job and with the part can be replaced with the BMW tools in the bike ?

most other things I should be fine on (just looking for a bit of backup should it be needed)

thanks in advance
John
:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2

30mm socket
12mm + 7mm allen key

2 wedges to get bearing started when removing and a couple of strong 10-12" tyre levers that wont bend

Means of heating the new bearing (important) although you could leave it on top of a cylinder with the engine running, camp stove someone's kitchen cooker etc etc

Hammer just in case it doesn't quite drop onto the spigot when hot!!! be careful

PTFE tape in case you feck the big O ring

I don't mean to sound unhelpful jon, if your worried that it's excessively worn why not replace it before your trip. Steptoe posted a good thread on how to check it for wear. Good luck with your trip

I don't mean to sound unhelpful jon, if your worried that it's excessively worn why not replace it before your trip. Steptoe posted a good thread on how to check it for wear. Good luck with your trip

Checking for wear or damage beforehand doesn't mean it won't fail quite suddenly .....of course it also doesn't mean it will:D:beerjug:

You Don't Remove

You don't need the 30mm socket or the 12mm allen key - 'cos you don't need OR want to remove the bevel box to change the bearing and seal.
so you only need the 7mm allen key plus the wedges or pry bars:thumb

cheers..................Grizzly:beerjug:

I would suggest undoing all the Allen bolts now to check they come undone, worst problem I had with mine was a couple of these were seized and were a real pain to get out in the garage; better to know now and replace if necessary.

You don't need the 30mm socket or the 12mm allen key - 'cos you don't need OR want to remove the bevel box to change the bearing and seal.
so you only need the 7mm allen key plus the wedges or pry bars:thumb

cheers..................Grizzly:beerjug:

Yes that's true but if you're carrying enough tools to change a wheel bearing in the middle of nowhere surely you'd also carry a little extra to get the final drive off or sort the paralever bearings if needed.
I have the 12mm allen and 30mm socket in my bikes tool kit:beerjug:

Really!

Yes that's true but if you're carrying enough tools to change a wheel bearing in the middle of nowhere surely you'd also carry a little extra to get the final drive off or sort the paralever bearings if needed.
I have the 12mm allen and 30mm socket in my bikes tool kit

Sorry, but I disagree. If the bearing and/or seal "go" on a trip you will have to fix it pronto - you can't move:eek:, but if the paralever bearings start to "creak" or you think they have a bit of play/movement you can still continue on your trip.
You can't carry tools AND spares for EVERY possible problem - just for the known 1150 gremlins which will stop you on the spot.
On that note I would also suggest to Johnwhit that he carry the bevel box bearing and seal stowed on the bike - there ain't much point breaking down in the middle of nowhere due to a bearing failure and having the tools to change it - but the new bearing is at home waiting to be posted to..........the middle of nowhere:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cheers....................Grizzly:beerjug:

Sorry, but I disagree. If the bearing and/or seal "go" on a trip you will have to fix it pronto - you can't move:eek:, but if the paralever bearings start to "creak" or you think they have a bit of play/movement you can still continue on your trip.
You can't carry tools AND spares for EVERY possible problem - just for the known 1150 gremlins which will stop you on the spot.
On that note I would also suggest to Johnwhit that he carry the bevel box bearing and seal stowed on the bike - there ain't much point breaking down in the middle of nowhere due to a bearing failure and having the tools to change it - but the new bearing is at home waiting to be posted to..........the middle of nowhere:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cheers....................Grizzly:beerjug:

Well I ain't gonna disagree with you again over one socket and an allen key:beerjug:

However ;) .... one of the reasons we're both laughing in Kazakhstan was because I didn't take your advise :p
IMG_1422-XL.jpg

Mmm

Well, that is a breakdown:eek: - your right, it's just as well you were carrying the socket and allen key - and also that spare swinging arm you'd been carrying around for years:rolleyes::thumb
Anyway to keep this sensible, I think our answers and comments would depend on what kind of trip(s) Johnwhit is planning? - Europe, RTW, solo or with pillion, in a group with several identical bikes, a lot of off-road - all these things make a difference to the sensible choice of tools and spares - and also the ability to use the tools and fit the spares as well.

Cheers..................Grizzly:beerjug:

Thanks for all the help guys. My planned trips will only be UK/IOM/Ireland for now just looking to get together a 'show stopper repair' box of a few tools and the bearing & seal to send out to me should I get stuck on a camp site or something, I don't plan to take the extra tools or bearing/seal with me on the bike. I will 'test' the Allen bolts to be sure they will undo (good idea on that one grim rider) It will be a solo loaded bike with a pillion I expect.
Last thing........advice on getting a bearing puller to take off the old bearing I can put in my box of tricks, a specific part number or exact puller to get will help ?
thanks again guys,

The solution to your prospective breakdown is obvious.

Just do as these people did!
Myke.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6I94n8C1-js" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2 wedges to get bearing started when removing and a couple of strong 10-12" tyre levers that wont bend

:agree

I did buy a small puller when I changed mine, but the end of the legs were to thick to get under the bearing. I ground them down to fit, but they just bent when pressure was applied.
Maybe someone knows of a reasonably priced one that they have used?

I got mine off easily by making a pair of wedges from 5mm mild steel which I tapped in to start lifting the bearing. The pair of tyre levers can then be used to lift it. I used a pair from poundland that worked just fine.

:agree

I did buy a small puller when I changed mine, but the end of the legs were to thick to get under the bearing. I ground them down to fit, but they just bent when pressure was applied.
Maybe someone knows of a reasonably priced one that they have used?

I got mine off easily by making a pair of wedges from 5mm mild steel which I tapped in to start lifting the bearing. The pair of tyre levers can then be used to lift it. I used a pair from poundland that worked just fine.
I found a couple of cold chisels worked perfectly,no need for tyre irons, the chisels double up for that job.

IMG_00000666_zps9271420d.jpg

As your trips are well within 'civilisation' (and hence garages / workshops / people who could help), at a minimum I'd just carry the big bearing and seal. Tools are tools - they are available anywhere but what will stop you is the availability of spares. As an 'upgrade' I'd take the 7mm Allen key so that if you really had to, you could pull the cover plate and take it somewhere warm and dry. The next upgrade would be the couple of small cold chisels so that in theory you could do a roadside replacement yourself but don't underestimate the scale of the task. Steptoe's pictures and how to make it look reasonably straightforward and for him or Tim (who have decades of experience taking bikes to bits) it probably wouldn't be a daunting task to do it at the roadside *if they had to*. But that should be your last resort - realistically in Europe, you are within easy reach of places and people who will make the job much easier as long as you have the spares to hand.

On big European trips, I just take the big bearing, seal and cover plate o-ring, my old (working), hall sensor plate (changed as a precaution at 15 years old) and a few extra tools - things like the 7mm allen key bit (not a usual size in allen key sets), a 16mm socket to get the crankshaft pulley off (again, not a standard size in socket sets). For big trips, I have a little 3/8 drive Teng socket set which these extra bits fit into along with the usual useful extras (a few nuts and bolts, PTFE tape, little pot of Heldite, epoxy putty etc). It all just sits in the bottom of a pannier, gaffer taped up in a heavy plastic bag in the hope that I'll never need it (I haven't so far :) ). There are other little bits and pieces permanently stashed on the bike in nooks and crannies (cable ties, crimp connectors, wire etc).

I have found that the best way to stop the bearing failing is to vacuum pack a bearing,seal and 7mm allen bit.(local butchers for the vacuum pack)
Put them under your tank strapped to the battery box.
This has worked perfectly for me for the last 150k. :D

As your trips are well within 'civilisation' (and hence garages / workshops / people who could help), at a minimum I'd just carry the big bearing and seal. Tools are tools - they are available anywhere but what will stop you is the availability of spares. As an 'upgrade' I'd take the 7mm Allen key so that if you really had to, you could pull the cover plate and take it somewhere warm and dry. The next upgrade would be the couple of small cold chisels so that in theory you could do a roadside replacement yourself but don't underestimate the scale of the task. Steptoe's pictures and how to make it look reasonably straightforward and for him or Tim (who have decades of experience taking bikes to bits) it probably wouldn't be a daunting task to do it at the roadside *if they had to*. But that should be your last resort - realistically in Europe, you are within easy reach of places and people who will make the job much easier as long as you have the spares to hand.

On big European trips, I just take the big bearing, seal and cover plate o-ring, my old (working), hall sensor plate (changed as a precaution at 15 years old) and a few extra tools - things like the 7mm allen key bit (not a usual size in allen key sets), a 16mm socket to get the crankshaft pulley off (again, not a standard size in socket sets). For big trips, I have a little 3/8 drive Teng socket set which these extra bits fit into along with the usual useful extras (a few nuts and bolts, PTFE tape, little pot of Heldite, epoxy putty etc). It all just sits in the bottom of a pannier, gaffer taped up in a heavy plastic bag in the hope that I'll never need it (I haven't so far :) ). There are other little bits and pieces permanently stashed on the bike in nooks and crannies (cable ties, crimp connectors, wire etc).
the supplied lug wrench will fit the crankshaft nut, 7mm allen wrenchs are easily bought off the 'bay , I also have my old HES under the tail light fairing, along with an old alternator belt, and some "noodles" for tyre repair. some repairs are sensible to prepare for, others are in the "if it happens, then thats what recovery is for " catagory ( and I am someone who hates relying on others,but sometimes you have to draw a line)

Back
Top Bottom