A picture paints a 1000 words

Definitely an attack by a large Rattus rubbericus norvegicus :thumby:

Brakes stuck on, heated up and then set gaiter on fire? DAMHIK?!

Yep.
IMG_0545 wee.jpg

But sadly only discovered today when I removed the wheel to take the final drive out to have some work done.
Bike has been in the shed since winter solstice when I last rode it for about 700kms.
I cannot recall any strange smell, bike feeling slow or rear brake not working that well.
Shows how alert I must have been.
But glad I found it now and not on a trip.
Ordered parts from Motorworks including a new disc as the oldun is bit overdone.
Gaiter, Ferodo Platinum pads, caliper overhaul kit, ss braided hose and Brembo disc.
I did a bit of research on this site regarding disc and pads and came up with those.
Odd that I can't buy rear master cylinder overhaul kit, only a complete cylinder. I shall keep an eye on that.
Front o/h are available though.
Roll on summer

Adrian

Did you order the rubber boots for the sliding pins on the calliper (and do they still slide okay?) BRA30312

Also check the paralever bearing condition they may have a tad or so of metal fillings in them

Mine was due to me falling off in a ford and bending the rear brake lever under the seam on the cat. I never noticed it, apart from thinking that there was something wrong with the acceleration just afterwards, thankfully one of the guys I was riding with noticed the flames and I was able to get off and put the fire out!

Did you order the rubber boots for the sliding pins on the calliper (and do they still slide okay?) BRA30312

Also check the paralever bearing condition they may have a tad or so of metal fillings in them

DrFarkhoff rubber boots are in fine condition as are the sliding pins, I removed and cleaned them. One of the joys of not salting the road I suppose.
Paralever bearings are also ok but I will give them a good wash.
The only damage I could see inside the shaft tube was surface rust on the u/j housing.
I have recently fitted the TT brake pedal enlarger as I got a bit fed up having to fish around to find the brake pedal with my size 13/14 but that hasnt done any thing to the lever.
Parts will be here next week so will report in then.

Adrian

Back
Top Bottom