Footpeg lowering kit for 1150gsa, any recommendations?

mspenz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I need to reduce the bend on a dodgy knee a little bit for longer distance touring, firstly I'll have to get a looser fit trouser (too much pressure on kneecap) and probably a lowering kit as well.
The Touratech stuff is pretty expensive but Motorworks have some more realistically priced kit, anyone tried them?

Around about a 30mm drop would do the trick but would there be enough adjustment on the gear & brake levers.
I had thought about getting a higher seat upholstered for the GSA as I don't have any problems reaching the ground but that might affect handling a bit.
Any suggestions, helpful or otherwise :)

Mike.

Years ago I purchased and fitted a Wunderlich peg lowering kit for my R1150GS.

Asside from the two lowering adaptors.

The kit also included:-

a shorter rod for the brake lever (replacing the original piston rod) so that the brake lever can be rotated lower.

And

An short extension rod which screws to the existing to gear selector rod, to lengthen it so the gear lever sits lower.

The kit has been fitted since new and the ergonomics are brilliant.

BMW Rainbow stock wunderlich products.

Edit
The kit part number was 8160334. If you type the part no into google you will see the kit, there is even a PDF on installation.

I have heard people using Honda Pan European footrests, can be bought cheap on fleabay if you are lucky, hopefully someone who has done this mod may add comments.

I did have pan euro pegs on the 1150 but swapped them out for the ones I linked to as they are about 10mm lower still.

The pan euro pegs are now on my 650 :)

Years ago I purchased and fitted a Wunderlich peg lowering kit for my R1150GS.

Asside from the two lowering adaptors.

The kit also included:-

a shorter rod for the brake lever (replacing the original piston rod) so that the brake lever can be rotated lower.

And

An short extension rod which screws to the existing to gear selector rod, to lengthen it so the gear lever sits lower.

The kit has been fitted since new and the ergonomics are brilliant.

BMW Rainbow stock wunderlich products.

Edit
The kit part number was 8160334. If you type the part no into google you will see the kit, there is even a PDF on installation.

Thanks Ian, I'll have a look at this over the next few days, sounds good.

IanPorter & Grim Rider, thanks for that advice, did you have to alter the brake & gear rods for the Motech and Migsel pegs?

Motech pegs are no further forward than standard pegs so I've had no problem with brake or gears.

The pan euro pegs were a bit further forward but again no problem for me and that's with size 11 boots

IanPorter & Grim Rider, thanks for that advice, did you have to alter the brake & gear rods for the Motech and Migsel pegs?

I too have the Migsel pegs and all that was needed as far as the gear lever and rear brake were concerned was a few minutes spent adjusting both. It is quite simple but it may take a wee while to get them just exactly where is comfortable for you.

Excellent thanks, it's looking like Migsel!

Migsel are suggesting that the springs are changed as well, can the originals be altered to fit?

I didn't do anything with either brake or gear rods that I can remember but may have moved gearlever round a bit. I think I did fit Migsel's springs as well.

Migsel kit now ordered ;)

Migsel lower pegs now fitted and they give a more natural seating position but I will have to get an adjustable gear lever now as well. The brake lever position is actually better for leverage (servo linked brakes) but I have adjusted the gear lever out to it's maximum and I still need a little more drop...and distance away from the peg for my size 10s!
I can live with it meantime but will have to send £56 to Touratech in return for some meccano soon :rolleyes:

Migsel lower pegs now fitted and they give a more natural seating position but I will have to get an adjustable gear lever now as well. The brake lever position is actually better for leverage (servo linked brakes) but I have adjusted the gear lever out to it's maximum and I still need a little more drop...and distance away from the peg for my size 10s!
I can live with it meantime but will have to send £56 to Touratech in return for some meccano soon :rolleyes:

Remove the starter cover, remove gear linkage, undo the bolt that holds the gear link onto the spline on the gearbox, turn the lever one spline down and put it all back together, should do the trick.

Remove the starter cover, remove gear linkage, undo the bolt that holds the gear link onto the spline on the gearbox, turn the lever one spline down and put it all back together, should do the trick.
Thats what i did with my Miggies;all works a treat and no need to give TT your hard-earned.:thumb

Back
Top Bottom