throttle rest - anyone used one of these - any good?

I've had one for years and wouldn't be without it.

Yup, it's the black plastic curly thing which snaps over the throttle. I've used one on long trips and it's very good as you can just rest your palm on it and give your fingers a rest. I don't use it around town as it can get in the way of light throttle use. And, when you start off, it can get a bit confusing; I wondered why the bike was revving so much as I pulled into a petrol station :blast

Just back from 3.5k miles trip to Italy. Bought one of these on a whim before I left. Didn't use it on the first thousand miles then remembered I had it. I wouldn't be without it if I had to do even a few hundred miles. Great little device.

I wantquite surewhere tofit itat first. I suggest is fitted toward the outer half of the grip, but you'll quickly work out the best position.

I bought one years ago, and I'm afraid the best review I could give about it is 'it's OK'.

I've just tried to find it so I could send it to you actually, but it's buried :blast

For me it was a kind of 'nothing' experience......it doesn't work as a 'cruise control' device, it simply lets you loosen your grip on the bar so you can uncurl your fingers.......

Far FAR better IMO are these things:

$_57.JPG

Mine's not come off the bike since I got it, but when I'm tootling about town, it sits upright and out of the way.......on a longer trip though, you can one-finger it down into position and it acts as a friction cruise control perfectly......so you can uncurl your fingers or even remove your hand from the bar altogether (at which point the 'rest' version is useless) and give it a dangle by your side or a good flexing IYSWIM.

There's a guy who sells the throttle mate type things here, made by himself and with some tensioning tweaks developed because some of the uttter knobbers who ride 1200's couldn't exercise their stupid little brains enough to think about sliding a bloody rubber band on to the device to increase the grip :blast

So.....the rest thing, it's OK but limited....the grippy cruise control, superb and possible a FAR better option, giving you both the ability to rest your fingers on the grip but also proper hands-off cruise control function :) :thumb2

nice one thanks for the info - good to hear something from personal experience!

off to the alps for some off roading on the 1150 in a few weeks and these things are gonna save me some grief with my sick arm... :beerjug:

I've got one of the throttle rocker things (made by scottoiler) - great for long motorway stints. Wouldn't do a long trip without it.

I have used one for years too. I leave mine on permanently. The trick is to adjust the position just so; this took a little experimentation but once perfected the device does what it says on the tin.

I use a Scottoiler one on long trips but remove it for more spirited riding - Furka, Susten etc :)

I've the Scottoiler one for last number of years, find it great to be able to just rest top of palm on it and leave fingers loose. It's on the grip all the time, only thing I've found is when applying front brake that I don't give a few revs ;-)

There's a guy who sells the throttle mate type things here, made by himself and with some tensioning tweaks developed because some of the uttter knobbers who ride 1200's couldn't exercise their stupid little brains enough to think about sliding a bloody rubber band on to the device to increase the grip :blast

:D:D:D:blast

I bought one years ago, and I'm afraid the best review I could give about it is 'it's

Far FAR better IMO are these things:

$_57.JPG

There's a guy who sells the throttle mate type things here, made by himself and with some tensioning tweaks developed because some of the uttter knobbers who ride 1200's couldn't exercise their stupid little brains enough to think about sliding a bloody rubber band on to the device to increase the grip : :thumb2

:D :D :D :blast

Seems time like there's two completely different things being talked about here - one is a sort of cruise control and the other is something to alleviate the need to grip the throttle which allows the palm or 'heel' of the hand to operate throttle. Think the OP was asking about the latter?

I bought one the OP is refering too but unfortunately I do not ride on roads that are straight enough or lacking in other traffic to make the best use of it.

Adrian

Seems time like there's two completely different things being talked about here - one is a sort of cruise control and the other is something to alleviate the need to grip the throttle which allows the palm or 'heel' of the hand to operate throttle. Think the OP was asking about the latter?

I have tried both designs with the wish to be able to release my grip on the throttle, to alleviate discomfort. I rarely use the device as a cruise control device although it performs this function well if you are on a motorway.

In my view, the device I recommend will meet the OP's needs better than the palm rest type of device as you can completely release your grip, lift your hand off the bar and flex digits as required without the bike slowing down. With the palm rest type of device, you can stretch your fingers outwards but you can't lift your hand off the bar to flex your wrist as the throttle will close.

Anyway, the devices are inexpensive and the OP should try both to see which suits best.

Back
Top Bottom