harley brakes

birdseye

Reaction score
Am having to seriously look at changing from my 1200GS to a cruiser - I wont go into the reasons here but its on backchat and bollocks if interested. Anyway I tried a fat boy today and it solved my major problem but gave me another. The brakes are unbelieveably bad after the GS requiring the grip of a gorilla rather than one finger. Problem is my right hand has arthritis as well as other issues so I ended up with real hand pain after just an hour.

What can be done to give a fatboy decent light brakes. The dealer seemed to think there was nothing that could be done because of the abs. Though how anyone could pull hard enough on the brakes to trigger the abs I do not know.

It's the single disc up front, just not good enough. Have a go on a 2014 Road King - that's got bloody good brakes. My 2011 RK brakes feel better than the ones on my Triumph Explorer as well.

If you are buying new, HD have just released 2015 model information with the Softail Range having a new braking system with 40% less leverage required..... As mentioned it’s the single disc..

Have a look at the Dyna Fat Bob, double discs there and when i test rode, seemed ok...

Find mine pretty good with a dab or right foot!

Harley Brakes

I've moved from a GS Adv to a HD Tourer this week. I've ridden it about 600 miles (in Wales mostly) and found their new linked brake system to be very good. I haven't felt they needed any more hand/foot pressure than the GSA.

Riders in Bristol offer HD rentals which might be worth thinking about if you want an extended trial on something.

I have several different bikes, all with different braking....I never give it a thought, I just ride each accordingly.

Just how fucking cool is that:cool::D

Nice one, spot on. :thumb2:clap

I'm guessing you are expecting the front brake to do all the work, like a normal bike? :blast

Harleys have much more of a rear weight bias and, due to the rake, don't dive much under braking. You'll find you can use a LOT more rear brake than on other bikes. In fact, unless it's wet or you have absolutely no feel, it's quite difficult to lock the back up at all :thumb2

Am having to seriously look at changing from my 1200GS to a cruiser - I wont go into the reasons here but its on backchat and bollocks if interested. Anyway I tried a fat boy today and it solved my major problem but gave me another. The brakes are unbelieveably bad after the GS requiring the grip of a gorilla rather than one finger. Problem is my right hand has arthritis as well as other issues so I ended up with real hand pain after just an hour.

What can be done to give a fatboy decent light brakes. The dealer seemed to think there was nothing that could be done because of the abs. Though how anyone could pull hard enough on the brakes to trigger the abs I do not know.

On a harley try using the rear brake.

We have a Fat Bob pre abs done the alps two up the twin fronts are fine
I tried a fat boy before I bought the Fat Bob loved the look hated the brakes and poor ground clearance , so my compromise was to buy the bob fit single 7" head light fat boy bars and plain leather rigid HD pannier bags.
The Bob is a lighter better handling far better stopping bike than the Fat Boy.
Get yourself a test ride you will probably be shocked at the difference.

Why does it have to be a Harley; there are plenty of other models out there and most will be better made than Harleys - Victory, the new Indians, the Jap cruisers, Moto Guzzi - it's only a problem if you are brand fixated and are looking to buy yourself a "lifestyle".

The lifestyle bit is the thing I most dislike about Harley. I wouldnt consider the jap alternatives simply because they are imitation harleys.The guzzi is on my list as are the Triumphs. Tried the diavel and didnt think much ofthatat all.

The lifestyle bit is the thing I most dislike about Harley. I wouldnt consider the jap alternatives simply because they are imitation harleys.The guzzi is on my list as are the Triumphs. Tried the diavel and didnt think much ofthatat all.

Because there's no 'lifestyle bit' with Guzzi & Triumph ;)

I have a Harley and don't like the HOG lifestyle that others get involved in, so i don't. I just treat it as another one of my bikes and forget about all the lifestyle bollocks, just ride and smile!

I have a Harley and don't like the HOG lifestyle that others get involved in, so i don't. I just treat it as another one of my bikes and forget about all the lifestyle bollocks, just ride and smile!

+1 on this :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom