X Challenge creaky shock

Toby

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My rear air shock on the X Challenge is moaning and creaking.

I am off to Morocco in 3 weeks, should I be worried?

My rear air shock on the X Challenge is moaning and creaking.

I am off to Morocco in 3 weeks, should I be worried?

Mine started sqeeking, which it did for months. It only stopped when it was changed or a hyperpro unit.

Are you riding to Morocco, or trailering the bike down?

I've got one that squeaks and creaks. Took me a while to confirm it was that, as I thought my subframe may have been loose, tank loose etc.

I replaced it with a wilbers 642 which is taking a little while to get right. Just done a 3 day trail ride camping trip, days 1 & 3 fully loaded, day 2 solo. You can't adjust the preload with the shock on the bike, so end having to adjust the high speed compression to compensate and to avoid bottoming out on heavy landings. On the airshock, you just adjust the pressure and off you go.

I have a spare (squeaky) airshock you can borrow as a backup for your trip if you can't get anything else. Would suggest you practise removing the lower shock bolt and grease it up in the comfort of your garage before you go though, as they can be tricky to get out.

Thanks for that we are vanning the bikes as we are at MotoPistons on the way down.

Mine started sqeeking, which it did for months. It only stopped when it was changed or a hyperpro unit.

Are you riding to Morocco, or trailering the bike down?

Thanks for the offer I will have a think.

Good advise about removing the bolt, is there a recommended method?

I've got one that squeaks and creaks. Took me a while to confirm it was that, as I thought my subframe may have been loose, tank loose etc.

I replaced it with a wilbers 642 which is taking a little while to get right. Just done a 3 day trail ride camping trip, days 1 & 3 fully loaded, day 2 solo. You can't adjust the preload with the shock on the bike, so end having to adjust the high speed compression to compensate and to avoid bottoming out on heavy landings. On the airshock, you just adjust the pressure and off you go.

I have a spare (squeaky) airshock you can borrow as a backup for your trip if you can't get anything else. Would suggest you practise removing the lower shock bolt and grease it up in the comfort of your garage before you go though, as they can be tricky to get out.

I need to get inside my shock and try and service/re oil/gas it. cant find any information on them. if I can sort it ill post on here. been debating buying a coil over,but then you have the problem of having to crank the spring up with luggage on board.

I think I may have sorted the problem with the noise from the back shocks, will let you know after ridding tomorrow. had mine apart and just re built it. back on the bike and no noise now when pushing up and down, will ride it off road for a while tomorrow. let you know tomorrow night.

How did you get on with the squeak?

I had a look at one of mine after you said you'd taken it apart. Did the top part unscrew from the main aluminium cylinder?

Back
Top Bottom