VFR 750, R reg, High Miles?

steadysteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking at buying a vfr 750F ('R' reg) as a bit of a winter project, however it has 67k on it. Anybody know if these engines are good for that sort of mileage or is it too high to be worth bothering?
Bike has lots of history and appears to be looked after but not known to me otherwise so can't comment on how it has been used or abused.
Any info/ thoughts appreciated.Thanks.
Steve

They're a vastly over engineered motorcycle and the engines probably got 200k left in it yet, provided it's had regular oil/filter changes and valve checks:thumb2

As per above.....VFR 750 is a brilliant bike and that mileage is nothing if it has been looked after.

Collector boxes and down pipes can get in a mess but there is every chance that they have already been replaced with stainless or whatever.

Good bike....:thumb2

As per above.....VFR 750 is a brilliant bike and that mileage is nothing if it has been looked after.

Collector boxes and down pipes can get in a mess but there is every chance that they have already been replaced with stainless or whatever.

Good bike....:thumb2

Sven/Jonnie,
thanks for the replies. It has indeed had a new end can but the pipes look a bit ropey, with the brake unions and other fasteners nearly as rusty as them ones BMW use...
Lots of history but the paint is dark turquoise/blue green.:barf

Great bikes, I have one (in red) they are very well built mechanically (gear driven cams )

If the colour offends get it resprayed or wrapped?

Great bikes, I have one (in red) they are very well built mechanically (gear driven cams )

If the colour offends get it resprayed or wrapped?

Yep....wonderful bikes. I had a couple years ago and they just did everything....tour, scratch, commute.....
The 800 just never had the character of the 750 for some reason.

A couple of years ago a friend of mine who has a collection of bikes (including an RC30 and an RC45) offered me this R reg 750....only 12000 miles from when he bought it new. I put on the Staintune high level can and managed to get the (wider) early rear wheel for it. It's just for sunny days.....the first bike I have never taken out in the rain.

Attachments

• VFR 750-1.jpg
    VFR 750-1.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 710
  • VFR 750-2.jpg
    VFR 750-2.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 778
  • VFR 750-3.jpg
    VFR 750-3.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 766
The disaster that was the VF750 Ensured the VFR was ultra reliable and good for high 100k plus the only trouble with very reliable bikes is complacency and a lack of maintenance so normal rules of buying apply.

One of the best bikes I have ever owned. I just wish my auld wrists could hold up as I'd still have one today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 838
One of the best bikes I have ever owned. I just wish my auld wrists could hold up as I'd still have one today.

I'm nearly 64 and don't have any trouble with my wrists.....but knees get a bit sore after a tankful of petrol. But that's possibly a consequence of falling off too often :doh

Best looking VFR, not had the 750 , had 3 x 800fi's and now have my 1st vtec oh and a SP2 which is painful to ride but worth it

As said, they will do the miles - but then what reasonably modern bike won't?
Personally, I'd avoid a shabby high miler - vfr's are bargain money & there are lots of nice well cared for examples for sensible money, once you have ploughed a load of time and money into it a lower mileage bike will always be worth more & infinately more sellable than an equivalent higher mileage bike IMHO

Here's mine, now on 18.5k with lots of documented history & bought from this very site (crappy pic warning!)

uploadfromtaptalk1429088238088.jpg

Here's the painful one :green gri

Lovely bike if a crippling one.

A friends son had one exactly the same (complete with Akras) and a bunch of us were at Donington for the MotoGP a number of years ago staying at the Hilton in Leicester. Came out of the hotel on the Monday morning and some arsehole had stolen it....
It was fitted with an alarm and disc lock, chained to another bike and parked right outside reception.....fuck knows how they managed it. Poor guy was heartbroken.....

Got a VFR in red eventually, lovely little bike and so smooth after a boxer. Bit too small for me though- kept stubbing my toes every time I put my feet down..
Just couldn't get used to the riding position so I sold it on. Got an old GS from this ere forum and am more than happy with it to the point where I may consider selling my RT and GS to get one newer GS.

Newly fitted Metzeler Z8 on the front of the RT seems to have transformed the front end grip and makes it feel very planted.
After spending a bit on the GS (full service, TB overhaul, new screen, cosmetics etc etc) I just need to have a few more long rides before I make a decision. Seem to remember a few threads on here from guys who have swapped RT to GS , or the other way. A search of those threads might be in order to help the decision making, or confuse me even more ...

Got a VFR in red eventually, lovely little bike and so smooth after a boxer. Bit too small for me though- kept stubbing my toes every time I put my feet down..
Just couldn't get used to the riding position so I sold it on. Got an old GS from this ere forum and am more than happy with it to the point where I may consider selling my RT and GS to get one newer GS.

Newly fitted Metzeler Z8 on the front of the RT seems to have transformed the front end grip and makes it feel very planted.
After spending a bit on the GS (full service, TB overhaul, new screen, cosmetics etc etc) I just need to have a few more long rides before I make a decision. Seem to remember a few threads on here from guys who have swapped RT to GS , or the other way. A search of those threads might be in order to help the decision making, or confuse me even more ...

Steve
I had VFRs years ago and always found them so comfortable.....now every time I get on it I can't believe how high the pegs are!
I also have a GS and an RT.....the RT was a kind of an impulse buy....right price at the right time. The main reason was that my partner finds that she gets quite a lot of buffeting on the GS pillion.....says the RT is the most comfortable bike she has ever been on.
I love the GS.....I have fitted a 17" front wheel and it just handles so well. The RT, whilst a good handling bike, feels like a raft after the GS.

Attachments

• GS-1.jpg
    GS-1.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 232
  • RT-1.jpg
    RT-1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 231

Back
Top Bottom