Basecamp and OSM maps - struggling here

newboy

mechanical buffoon
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The Wirral - where the nice people live... Or Vanu
OK - I marked out and generated the OSM map - downloaded it and selected it..
All good so far - then created some sample (starter) points to create a quick route.
But it doesn't seem to be routing correctly - I get straight lines all bar one small area...

Example...
basecampissue1_zps4abd4995.jpg

You can see that around Salta and Tucuman - it is calcing OK - the rest of the trip not at all - no settings altered from normal and nothing selected in avoidances....

Any ideas? (Basecamp 4.4.2, Windows 8.1)

What's the detail like if you zoom in on the areas where you're getting straight lines? Plenty of side roads, villages and POI or only major towns and basic main roads?

I presume that you've tried the 'recalculate button at the bottom of the route detail dialogue?

Would it not be easier to create the route in Basecamp..?

I've had that phenomena in the past when using exactly the same start/finish point.
Have you tried having a "finish" position a couple of blocks away from the start of the route.
I seem to recall its something the routing algorithm can't cope with.

I've had that phenomena in the past when using exactly the same start/finish point.
Have you tried having a "finish" position a couple of blocks away from the start of the route.
I seem to recall its something the routing algorithm can't cope with.

Nope
Thanks but tried that and same result - same place calcs the rest doesn't :(
basecampissue2_zpsa5f80ca1.jpg

Have you thought about fitting knobbly tyres & following the GPS created route?

I know its not the answer you're looking for, but ditch OSM and start afresh with openmtbmaps ?
I think there's a small subscription fee, though...

I have had this problem with osm maps, always turned out that I had missed a tile along the route. Check that you do in fact have detailed maps for the entire route. It's very easy to miss one when you select your maps and not notice when you download them.

Incidentally on our recent Balkan jaunt we found the Garmin maps to be worse than useless in Bosnia. One vehicle ended up on a heavily potholed track with minefields each side. This was shown as the main road on the Garmin 2015 maps. In several towns the Garmin maps were pure fiction. The OSM ones were very much better although still not perfect.

John

Just use the garmin maps and all will be well !
People trying to find alternatives and failing

Edit

My remark isnt helpfull i know so .... Does the same happen if you use the City navigator NTU maps ?

what i fail to see is why OSM maps are needed as opposed to the Garmin maps that come with basecamp

I See Greybeards post about garmin maps being useless in Bosnia (paper maps are probably equaly as useless there) but i am just not getting what is so terrible with the maps that are supplied

This route is in Argentina...I don't have Garmin maps for that country as yet..Lots of people recommend OSM and I thought I would try them...

I have Europe and also US/Canada, but not S America Garmin

I will check my tiles :0 - thanks

This route is in Argentina...I don't have Garmin maps for that country as yet..Lots of people recommend OSM and I thought I would try them...

I have Europe and also US/Canada, but not S America Garmin

I will check my tiles :0 - thanks

Ah !
I couldnt work out where it was as using a small screen !

Do garmin do mapage for argentina ?

Good luck with it though as i have no answers for the issue with OSM

Just had a closer squint at your first image. Have you tried breaking the route into smaller chunks, the one you have is over 2500 miles and that's with most of it as straight lines. Try some of the sections that are 'straight-lining' as separate routes, each starting where the previous one ended.

Ideally you should be looking at a route per day rather than planing the whole trip as one route. A powerful PC might managed the whole route but put that onto your Garmin and it'll choke on it.

Tiles missing as John said above, I had one pin head sized tile missing on a spare 2610 and routing was odd.
Bumpkin could well be right too. Split routes to separate days. Have had many an issue when trying to make routes,usually ending with COMPUTER SAYS NO:D
Early Garmins hated routes that looped. Have since kept them apart. Good luck with your trip planning. Let us all know how it goes.:thumby:

Back
Top Bottom