Nav V paired with Nexus 5 only not showing names for incoming calls

jc_bromley

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi as above I have a Nav V with the latest firmware paired with a Google nexus 5 running Android 4.4.4. When I receive a call from someone in my addressbook the Nav V only displays the phone number.
Anybody seen this or have any ideas?

Thanks for reading,

John

Is it necessary to give the nav v permission to see your contacts on the phone (in the phone bluetooth settings)?

Finally got around to asking Garmin, apparently my Nexus 5 isn't compatible.....welcome to the 21st Century...Garmin once again produces a peice of shite!!

Thanks but I think I'd prefer it if Garmin stopped cutting corners and produced Bluetooth that complied with the standard. It isn't difficult. Fucking cheapskates!!!

Isn't the problem that there is no definative BT standard? In the same way that there is no definative Android OS, as all the handset manufacturers are allowed to modify the OS. Whereas Apple keeps control of both handset manufacture and the OS

There is a solution to this - or at least there is with an iPhone, which has the same problem.

You need to install the Garmin Smartlink app onto your phone. When you do that, it will ask permission to access your contacts. Say yes. When you are on the bike, make sure Smartlink is enabled and it will show the caller's name on the Nav5 when you receive a call.

The Smartlink also has some other useful features (traffic etc) that also display automatically on the Nav5.

It's one of the few upsides I've found so far about the Nav5 compared to my old Zumo 550.

There is a solution to this - or at least there is with an iPhone, which has the same problem.

You need to install the Garmin Smartlink app onto your phone. When you do that, it will ask permission to access your contacts. Say yes. When you are on the bike, make sure Smartlink is enabled and it will show the caller's name on the Nav5 when you receive a call.

The Smartlink also has some other useful features (traffic etc) that also display automatically on the Nav5.

It's one of the few upsides I've found so far about the Nav5 compared to my old Zumo 550.

That certainly worked with my Samsung phone on Android.

I have the Smartlink app installed, never got asked about contacts though. I'll remove & reinstall it....the response from garmin never mentioned this though so thanks very much!

I dot hink that in this day and age with two very new bits of kit they should just work. The Nexus is a Google phone with vanilla Android on it, I'm not prepared to believe that the problem is wit the phone at all. I've had a few garmins and they have all been flaky in one way or another. There's a new Tomtom coming out very soon, perhaps that's the way forward!!

Regs,

JC

My brother had same issue with Nexus phone and Garmin 390 - there is no solution. Apparently, the fault lies with the Nexus and not with the Garmin; there are very few phones that are not compatible - unfortunately, the Nexus is one of them.

The nexus 4 is shown as being compatible, my Nav IV displayed the contact names when paired with the Nexus 5. And the Nexus 5 talks Bluetooth to at least 4 different makes of car that I've used very recently. I'm not convinced that this is a problem with anything other than the Garmin....

One thing you could try that worked with the wife's car - go into the people application on the phone and change the contacts to display from all to custom and choose just the account that contains them (e.g. Google account)

Without doing this her car wouldn't show names.

It may not work, but worth a try.

I have the Smartlink app installed, never got asked about contacts though. I'll remove & reinstall it....the response from garmin never mentioned this though so thanks very much!

I dot hink that in this day and age with two very new bits of kit they should just work. The Nexus is a Google phone with vanilla Android on it, I'm not prepared to believe that the problem is wit the phone at all. I've had a few garmins and they have all been flaky in one way or another. There's a new Tomtom coming out very soon, perhaps that's the way forward!!

Regs,

JC

Good luck - I also had to reinstall Smartlink. The question it asks may not be exactly "allow access to contacts" but you'll recognise it when you see it. It definitely cured this problem for me. I had no idea why the phone number of an incoming caller didn't show either. It was the nice people at Bahnstormers in Alton that helped me.

:beerjug:

After a bit more research-
Searching the phonebook on the nav 5 shows names & numbers
Searching call history shows a few names, everything else shows "unknown" (these are numbers I've called in the past from the phone itself)

So the names are getting to the Nav V, just not being matched up when a call comes in I think.

Back
Top Bottom