Pannier welding repair

laser173

Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone know of anyone with a tug welder that can repair a Ali pannier bracket in the Peterborough area?

Happy New Year

Graham Allen

The brackets on the ally panniers are stainless.
Either way ally or stainless I can Tig weld it.
I am Peterborough side of Grantham if that is close enough.

Let's say someone had fallen off his GSA in a very shallow ford & his r/h ally pannier was slightly out of shape & the join at the bottom of the pannier had been damaged, do you think you might be able to fix that? IE press the pannier back into shape & make the damage watertight again? DAMWIA :blast

You won't get a better job :thumby:

Let's say someone had fallen off his GSA in a very shallow ford & his r/h ally pannier was slightly out of shape & the join at the bottom of the pannier had been damaged, do you think you might be able to fix that? IE press the pannier back into shape & make the damage watertight again? DAMWIA :blast

Should be an easy repair.
My ally panniers had been down the road in a big way prior to my ownership of them, So straightened them out and are waterproof. ( they stand me at £100 the set).
When I get around to it I will take the bottoms out and fully weld them back in so they will take further abuse without leaking.

has anyone used those low temp alloy weld kits . seen them advertised in the bike press .

I have seen it demonstrated, they form a pool of the alloy filler rod and try to scratch the oxide film away underneath the pool with a tungsten rod to get a bond.
When it was demonstrated on 1mm thick material it almost looked like it was welded.
I have had ally wheels in for repair that have had it used on them. You can peel it off.
it is more like an attempt at soldering rather than welding.
No substitute for a good tig plant.

:blast

Not the ford at Biscathorpe :blast :blast

Never mind Bill, makes me feel better for falling off in the peaks the other week.

I was trying to avoid a puddle - on an off road ride :blast

Schoolboy error :rob

Mistacat you mite have some more business as I have a left hand pannier that got hit and is a-little bit out of shape. Let me know

Sent from my
iPhone using Tapatalk

Never mind Bill, makes me feel better for falling off in the peaks the other week.

I was trying to avoid a puddle - on an off road ride :blast

Schoolboy error :rob

I don't think school boys would have made that error!

You nearly became a constituent part of a dry stone wall. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom