So I got my XT1200Z Super Tenere ECU Flash

Banzai600

Reaction score
All,

finally got around to getting the ECU flashed on the Super Tenere…..Picked up the bike last week. Just thought I would share my recent upgrade / modification, whatever you want to call it.

I left the bike to a local qualified guy here in Dublin who has good experience with race engines, rebuilds, servicing etc, on all makes of bike. He works for a very reputable company in Dublin city centre and he is one of three ppl id let near any of my bikes. I know him through the bike commuity good few yrs now.

He has recently got software for ECU flashing. He has a good understanding of electronics etc so I was confident in his ability & i know him well enough to be at ease. I asked him to get the data for the tenere which he did.

He has a small workshop at the back of his own house with access to a dyno room in the city. I really didn’t know what to expect re results, but said what the hell anyway.

The bike before it went is was fine, ran a little rich, but has been since I first bought it new in Oct 12. The low down take off was lumpy-ish, 1st – 3rd was flat and midrange was just ok. Im not saying it was all bad but I was happy enough. Its was the way Yamaha had the engine. Petrol consumption was about 43 mpg, not bad, not exceptional either. They are a big bike and the way they come from the factory to meet regs etc choke them to death.

So flash done……

whats it like? Astonishing in a word. :D It has completely transformed the bike. Ive got more acceleration, better mpg ( avg 53 mpg at the moment ? - i will confirm next few days ads I fully fuelled up last night ) , better midrange with 10 bhp increase. The first three gears feel almost twice was they used to be re power. They are no longer flat. That restriction is gone. The response from the throttle from take off in 1st – 3rd is very sharp. Pin throttle accuracy and feel.

Midrange on the motorway is great. It was never bad, but a lot more pep now. The bike is ticking over better, sounds different too. He also adjusted the fan temp setting and throttle position. The fly-by-wire remap, rev limit and fuel map. Riding in the city is even easier now, I go through ttraffic the odd time and the throttle and fueling is so smooth from before it was done, makes it even easier now to go v slow without stopping.

The best part of how he carried out this flash, he used the dyno. He didn’t just throw in generic settings like some that flash ecu's. He adjusted the ECU / fuelling etc while the bike was ran on the dyno. Its perfect. So i would imagine this ecu flash could be better as the bike was actually dyno'd while being flashed. It allowed the bike to be adjusted to optimum effect.

If anyone wants their ECU done by this guy, I couldn’t recommend it enough. You will need to post to Dublin though.

The cost will be 330.00 euro for the flash, less post back to you. The 330.00 also inclused o2 sensors. The return post will be an additional 10 euro - tbc. Contact Gary Donohoe on 00 353 87 two nine 6 43 27 or email garydonohue_30@hotmail dot com

I will throw up read-outs when i can get them uploaded later this evening. My bike is bog standard with zero mods to engine or exhaust.

See below details. I will update further later.

Im super happy with the bike. Made a HUGE difference.

Flash parametres : varies in models

Fuel edit primary / secondary

Secondary butterfly edit

Ignition edit

idle adjust

throttle by wire adjust

increase decrease engine brake

Gear restrictions adjust

fan temp

rev limit

O2 sensor disable

secondary air disable / ais / pair

velocity stack adjust

disable tip over sensor

disable / adjust stock steering damper / speed variable

disable immobiliser

All,

finally got around to getting the ECU flashed on the Super Tenere…..Picked up the bike last week. Just thought I would share my recent upgrade / modification, whatever you want to call it.

I left the bike to a local qualified guy here in Dublin who has good experience with race engines, rebuilds, servicing etc, on all makes of bike. He works for a very reputable company in Dublin city centre and he is one of three ppl id let near any of my bikes. I know him through the bike commuity good few yrs now.

He has recently got software for ECU flashing. He has a good understanding of electronics etc so I was confident in his ability & i know him well enough to be at ease. I asked him to get the data for the tenere which he did.

He has a small workshop at the back of his own house with access to a dyno room in the city. I really didn’t know what to expect re results, but said what the hell anyway.

The bike before it went is was fine, ran a little rich, but has been since I first bought it new in Oct 12. The low down take off was lumpy-ish, 1st – 3rd was flat and midrange was just ok. Im not saying it was all bad but I was happy enough. Its was the way Yamaha had the engine. Petrol consumption was about 43 mpg, not bad, not exceptional either. They are a big bike and the way they come from the factory to meet regs etc choke them to death.

So flash done……

whats it like? Astonishing in a word. :D It has completely transformed the bike. Ive got more acceleration, better mpg ( avg 53 mpg at the moment ? - i will confirm next few days ads I fully fuelled up last night ) , better midrange with 10 bhp increase. The first three gears feel almost twice was they used to be re power. They are no longer flat. That restriction is gone. The response from the throttle from take off in 1st – 3rd is very sharp. Pin throttle accuracy and feel.

Midrange on the motorway is great. It was never bad, but a lot more pep now. The bike is ticking over better, sounds different too. He also adjusted the fan temp setting and throttle position. The fly-by-wire remap, rev limit and fuel map. Riding in the city is even easier now, I go through ttraffic the odd time and the throttle and fueling is so smooth from before it was done, makes it even easier now to go v slow without stopping.

The best part of how he carried out this flash, he used the dyno. He didn’t just throw in generic settings like some that flash ecu's. He adjusted the ECU / fuelling etc while the bike was ran on the dyno. Its perfect. So i would imagine this ecu flash could be better as the bike was actually dyno'd while being flashed. It allowed the bike to be adjusted to optimum effect.

If anyone wants their ECU done by this guy, I couldn’t recommend it enough. You will need to post to Dublin though.

The cost will be 330.00 euro for the flash, less post back to you. The 330.00 also inclused o2 sensors. The return post will be an additional 10 euro - tbc. Contact Gary Donohoe on 00 353 87 two nine 6 43 27 or email garydonohue_30@hotmail dot com

I will throw up read-outs when i can get them uploaded later this evening. My bike is bog standard with zero mods to engine or exhaust.

See below details. I will update further later.

Im super happy with the bike. Made a HUGE difference.
Hi glad your happy ,But your only getting part of the performance gains , Finish it !! Put a set of arrow headers and a can on .!! Then see how the bike should go

I fitted a full arrow system to mine, was as loud as my old Harley (too loud) so put the stock headers back on but kept the arrow TP and just right now.

Hello,
large gratualace to such processing ECU.
I'm thinking about it too, but with us / Czech Republic / it yet nobody does.
It would be ECU mail it to you on that scheme.
I still have to ask whether the removed throttling performance at 1,2,3,
speed and the hole in 5 000ot / min and if it still works ABS and traction control / mod1 mod2 + /.: Beerjug:

Thanks for the info

Sincerely,
Zdeny

CJS can do a flash by post:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/390680

Getting the bike setup on the dyno does make a noticeable difference on most bikes, any generic flash has to be set so that it will not blow up any bike it may be applied to, because of this they tend to be quite rich, with the dyno the bike can be setup spot on.

It is even more difficult to generic flash a modified bike with so many different exhaust and air filter combinations, which is why I am getting my ECU-U flashed replaced by a custom map from CJS as ECU-U are unable to sort out the low throttle / low rpm fuelling, or more to the point I do not think they can alter the closed loop area which is critical with these mods.

Even on an otherwise stock bike the part throttle (up to about 50% throttle / below 5,000 rpm) closed loop area is horribly weak to comply with euro emissions laws and most flashes do not (cannot) sort this out, and I am keen to see how much better the CJS mapping is in this area.

Both off the road and ECU-U both recommend buying their flash for removing the restrictions and then putting on a Power Commander to optimize fueling, especially if you have other modifications. On the plus side most people can find a dyno locally so you could get any flash that removes the restrictions and then get the bike setup with a power commander locally (but the cost will be higher than a custom flash as this requires no hardware purchase)

CJS will be mapping a few bikes in the next couple of months including at least two with full exhaust systems so may be able to come up with a generic map that will work for similarly modified bikes, but as stated if you can get to a dyno for a custom setup it is worth the extra cost.

Hello,
large gratualace to such processing ECU.
I'm thinking about it too, but with us / Czech Republic / it yet nobody does.
It would be ECU mail it to you on that scheme.
I still have to ask whether the removed throttling performance at 1,2,3,
speed and the hole in 5 000ot / min and if it still works ABS and traction control / mod1 mod2 + /.: Beerjug:

Thanks for the info

Sincerely,
Zdeny

Hello Zdeny

Yes, the bike is running perfectly. It is stock ( normal exhaust & air filter ). The lower down restriction is gone and fuelling is perfect. Throttle response v v smooth.

ABS, Traction control are also perfect, not affected.

The midrange is where the extra bhp came from, I got appx 10 bhp from the ecu flash. The bike runs better, is a little better on petrol, but overall the bike feels completely different, for the better ! :bow The bike will wheelie in second gear off the throttle, no clutch needed :cool:

The guy who does "ecu flash here in Dublin works for a very big bike shop here in Dublin as a mechanic. But he does the ECU flash by himself. The software he uses is very good & very expensive.

He has now done 4 Super Teneres and is getting very good feedback. He has A LOT of experience with bikes, rebuilds etc, including race bikes.

His email is " mcecuflash @ gmail.com " ( no spaces ). His name is Gary. I know him a long time and I would recommend him. He can also post back to you.

If you need more info let me know.

OR, you can also use option that " Rasher" posted CJS above.
http://ukgser.com/forums/showthread...re-ECU-Flash?p=4017212&viewfull=1#post4017212

Your decision ! :thumb2

CJS can do flash by post for £150 + Postal costs.

Ride in / Ride out is £200 Monday to Friday including Dyno test

Full Mapping including optimizing fueling and ignition is £425 and is the best part of a day with the bike on the Dyno, this may be possible on a Saturday.

I am hoping to setup a Super Tenere day for Late April if we can get 4-5 bikes to go on the same Saturday, make for a good meet up and tyre / farkle kicking session.

Other changes to rev limiters, mode the bike starts in etc can be done but you would need to talk to Chris at CJS about any other wishes like these.

Back
Top Bottom