BMW Airflow Suit

Gipsy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Couple of warm trips planned for the summer. Anyone out there had any experience of using this kit? Also I believe BM also sell another hi tec piece of kit which is designed for even higher temps, not sure of name, but would appreciate any feedback.

I think the other suit is called the "Venting Machine", new for 05. In your local BM store soon, I expect with a very healthy (expensive) price.

I think the Airflow has been updated, now known as the Airflow 3.

Boundless can only lay his hand on the glove review:-

"Like its motorcycle designs, BMW's apparel stands apart from the competitors in functionality as well as fashion. These AirFlow gloves are a good example because it's obvious a different drummer made them. The body of the glove is made from high-quality leather, yet on the top is an innovative panel of AirTex, which is a tear-resistant "mesh-like yarn" that encourages airflow. The finger sides are perforated to further promote circulation. When we rode with these gloves the system cooled extremely well—better than any other for sheer air movement. The knuckle areas are backed with substantial ribs of foam, and the upper finger joints are likewise padded. The palm is lightly reinforced and the thumb receives a suede panel over breathable fabric, perfect for wiping summer rain from your visor. As far as we can tell these are the ultimate summer gloves, and the only pair so stylishly unique we'd leave them on the coffee table all winter. But, as always, there's a price to pay for greatness, and in the case of BMW's AirFlows (available in unisex sizes) it's approximately $79."

I've got the original Airflow suit (picked it up in a sale for not a lot) and the gloves (which though not in a sale were quite reasonably priced).

Both excellent bits of kit. They seem well made and are comfortable.

The suit keeps a good draught of air flowing. I haven't got the Goretex liners which does make it a bit limited - you have to be fairly certain it isn't going to rain or be prepared to get soaked!

Not surprisingly it is not warm so, if the temperature does drop, you can cool fairly quickly. Best range is probably between 60/65F and 90F. Below that is a bit chilly, above that is hot whatever you wear.

The goretex liners might allow you to wear it in lower temperatures but I have no experience.

In summary. Good kit. Not suitable for touring unless you know its going to be dry and consistently warm. Goretex liners will help with this but I don't know how much.

Paul

Gipsy

I have the Airflow 2 jacket and trousers. I would agree with Paul's comments. Overall a top piece of kit.

I would add two coments though. The trousers don't really seem any cooler when riding than any other non leather trousers. I probably wouldn't go for them again, just buy standard textile trousers.

I made the mistake of ordering the black jacket and trousers. Fine when you are riding, but definitely seems warmer just wearing it walking around. I would go for one of the lighter colour combinations if buying again.

YMMV etc

Pete

Airflow II range (inc boots and gloves) is being replaced for 2005 so always worth checking to see if your local dealer has any old stock at bargain rates, Gipsy.

PL2_and_a_half said:
Airflow II range (inc boots and gloves) is being replaced for 2005 so always worth checking to see if your local dealer has any old stock at bargain rates, Gipsy.

Would that be a likkle hint then Sharon???
:D :D

Ho ho! :p .. nah, Mister Fanum, a hint would be listing sizes and colours still in stock ... ;)

Besides, he's a bit far away to be thinking of me as his local dealer - I'm not even my local dealer ... if you follow :confused:

Back
Top Bottom