Picos in April?

steadysteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Morning all, just after a bit of info on the Picos/Pyrenees please.

A couple of us are looking at touring the Picos mid to late April, possibly into the Pyrenees as well.

I've seen various comments about the high mountain passes being closed due to snow so just wondering if anybody can advise on how likely it is that they will be closed at that time of year? Don't mind taking the chance but if, for example, they are definitely closed until May then it would be useful to know...

I have searched on here but the earliest reference I can find to the area relates to May/June.

Any info appreciated. Thanks.

Morning all, just after a bit of info on the Picos/Pyrenees please.

A couple of us are looking at touring the Picos mid to late April, possibly into the Pyrenees as well.

I've seen various comments about the high mountain passes being closed due to snow so just wondering if anybody can advise on how likely it is that they will be closed at that time of year? Don't mind taking the chance but if, for example, they are definitely closed until May then it would be useful to know...

I have searched on here but the earliest reference I can find to the area relates to May/June.

Any info appreciated. Thanks.

Mornin' to you too!

You shouldn't have to plan ahead to avoid snow in either the Picos nor the Pyrenees. It can snow right through into May but almost always this will be cleared by dawn on any main roads and during the following day on 'B' roads.

High mountain trails are another matter altogether, the key is the altitude, above 2,000 metres and there is likely to be standing snow on any north facing section right up until mid-May.

When you are there just have a beer in a bar with a telly and ask them to put 'el tiempo' on - there are 24/rolling chenels that have a forecast every half hour - the key word is 'cota de nieve' - snow level - i.e. the altitude from which any precipitation falls as snow. These forecasts are amazingly accurate.

Your main concern will be rain and of cloud cover in which case you will often be riding up into freezing and dense fogs. This occurs most often to the west of the Picos, i.e. in Asturias rather than Cantabria as the Picos act as a 'brake' to incoming weather systems and down it all comes.

Similarly in the Pyrenees, the French side is often cloudy while in Spain you have brilliant sunshine - on some of the passes you can have one foot in the sun and the other on the damp tarmac! - but this often clears during the day so plan to ride out in Spain in the mornings, get up to a pass around lunchtime to take a look-see. But have a 'fall back' plan in mind if the weather isn't clear by then.

Note too that my comments about snow clearing only apply to Spain - the French are, well, French and don't bother themselves too much with maintaining the frontiers!

Regs

Simon

Hi SteadySteve

Having lived in the Hautes-Pyrenees for almost 8 years now I would say there is really no way of knowing what will be open/closed, it really all down to the weather, so in my opinion you will have to take a chance on it. Normally the two highest cols (Tourmalet and Aubisque) open at the start of June but have been known to open a good month early, but this wont stop you getting around and you will still be able to take in the beauty of the Pyrenees.

Cheers, Phil
Pyrenees Motorcycle Tours
ride the best roads

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh happy days :thumb2

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 593
I much prefer the Pyrenees to the Alps ... :thumb2

tsbgcard.jpg

Ohhhh - The Pyrenees are so good. This one is the basis of my new The Spanish Biker Guides business card :)

Regs

Simon
PS that was taken in March!

QUOTE=The Spanish Biker;4020323]
tsbgcard.jpg

Ohhhh - The Pyrenees are so good. This one is the basis of my new The Spanish Biker Guides business card :)

Regs

Great Pic' Simon.

Simon
PS that was taken in March![/QUOTE]

If you have access to the Internet, a website worth looking at that gives the details on the cold if open or closed is:
www.cols-cyclisme.com/ouverture-cols.htm
Often they keep the road closed for repairs from Avalanche and general road Tarmac repairs (Unlike the UK)
But plenty of cold will be open, as Phil says is two or three of the highest that often remain closed until end May/June.
But well worth the trip, fantastic biking in the Pyrenees France & Spain.

Regards Will

That's a good site Will, thanks. You've inspired me to seek the same in Spain - especially bearing in mind the the French cycling site doesn't include any Spanish cols!

As you can see this map covers the while of mainland Spain, not just the Pyrenees, and you can get an idea at a glance, plus is you look in details the warnings include the exact extent of the problem, i.e. between such and such a kilometre post, which is handy of you want to get up to a given village for accommodation, etc.

For info: 'Black' marks indicated that the road is closed and why; more often for risk of avalanche, 'avalanchas'rather than snow, 'nevadas' as such.

The red marks indicate dangerous conditions, and the details usually say that trucks, 'camions' are grounded and that cars have to wear chains 'cadenas' or snow tyres 'neumaticos de invierno' but I think that in the later case you'd also have a 4X4 - no translation :)

The amber marks indicate limited access, taffic contrils, etc. and give the reason

There is also a 'white' flag which indicated other hazards like landslips - you'll have to check whether the road is closed or there is traffic control - below.

The other one to note is if traffic is working one way, 'sentido' - 'ambos' means both ways are closed. Note also that in Spring roads are often clised due to flooding after the thaw.

The camera signs arent radar traps but are one again are traffic warning at certain notorious logjam junctions.

The radar traps are all shown somewhere else and as of latter in the season they are going to post temporary traps on-line too :) But note that radar detectors are still illegal here!

Cheers

Simon

That's a good site Will, thanks. You've inspired me to seek the same in Spain - especially bearing in mind the the French cycling site doesn't include any Spanish

Simon

Looks interesting Simon, will keep the URL for that site.
The cycling site lists all the Spanish Cols, but not the access Open/Closed!! Pity
www.cols-cyclisme.com/espagne/liste-p2.htm
Be a challenge to do them all one day!!
Rgds
Will

Back
Top Bottom