Why is Basecamp such an utter pile of shite ???

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've just wasted a few hours trying in vain to plot a route for this summer using my 660 plugged in to my macbook and connected to Basecamp.

I must confess that I've not used Basecamp much but used to use Mapsource.

I managed eventually to get a route in for the RDGA but have just given up trying to plan a route up the Route Napoleon.

I simply want to follow the RN85 from Castellane to Grenoble.

How fûcking hard can it be ?

If I use the route tool and try and link up the road,the bloody thing wants to take me everywhere BUT on the one road I'm trying to be on !! :

What is going on ?

And if I have to shift the map to get more map in view then go back to the route tool,it wants to start a new route and not continue where I left off.

So bloody unhelpful.

Any hints,apart from give up ??

Ta

Not really a hint as such, but I've just used the motogoloco site to plot my route to Austria this year and it's worked flawlessly and I've got the route uploaded to my Nav V. Not a solution to your problem, but if someone who fly's 747's is having problems just getting it to do what you want it to do..... :) I've given up with it, and just do it all on motogoloco.

I gave up with sat navs because the amount of effort it requires to make them 'do the route that you want' is outweighed by the benefits - the effort is much better and less frustratingly spent studying a map and following the road signs.

If you just want to get to a destination and don't give a stuff about the route then sat navs are usually pretty good but I cant be arsed with them these days.

So why do you need to use map software exactly????:blast

Because I seem to recall it's not that easy to actually to follow the Route Napoleon and I'll be with 5 others who have never been there.

I was just using the above road as an example of the problem I'm having.

We're doing a 2000 mile trip which I wanted to plan in Basecamp,but don't think I will now.

Thanks anyway

I too gave up on basecamp.

Tyre works far better as long as your not planning routes over the winter as Google Maps decides all the roads you want are closed and will not plot a route over them.....

So I go back to Mapsource and put the basic waypoints in at the start / midlle end of each pass or section of road I want to ride, then I wait until Spring and get Tyre to automatically expand the waypoints for me, drag and drop any not where I want them to where I want them - job done.

Mapsource and a 2610 plot all the roads, I want to travel on a bike on, if the m/ways and towns have changed................so what, read the signs for a bit and recalculate automatically

I've just wasted a few hours trying in vain to plot a route for this summer using my 660 plugged in to my macbook and connected to Basecamp.

All the Mac provided software for Garmin navs is utter shite.
Not sure if you ever tried to update/puchase/download/install maps...

BTW check what route preferences your copy of Basecamp is operating in.
I did the same route last year, plotted it onto Basecamp, and went almost decently.

Sorry, but I totally disagree with most of the above "Basecamp/Garmin is shite" comments above.

You do NOT need to have your GPS device attached to your computer whilst constructing a route on Basecamp. So why have the hassle of attaching it...

And, if you look at the GPS section you will find endless posts giving advice on plotting routes, including lots of do's and don'ts. There are even some Youtube videos on it. We have a big resource of Nav V/Garmin/Basecamp/Mapsource users on UKGSERS and they have spent hours over the years offering advice etc etc. But, unfortunately, launching into a rant is not the way to encourage peeps to spend their time giving advice. Why not simply say that "I am trying to do this, this is what I did, but it seems to do this. What am I doing wrong?" That may have had a better., more positive response.

And why not go in search of previous posts on the subject. Wapping came in for some stick from some quarters, but you will find that he actually offered a hell of a lot of advice, based on his hard-earned experience when first starting off with the Nav V and Basecamp.

What is going on ?

From the screen capture you've posted, I think you may need to adjust the settings in BC before tying to plan your route.
Click on Activity Profile and make sure there's a motorcycle icon: next click the Edit Activity Profile (in the same drop down) and you will be given a choice of General/Routing; click the routing Tab, and select your preferences.
I'd suggest you uncheck "date and time closures" facility, given the location of your route plan.

It's more or less self evident where you go from here, but good luck and ignore the Luddites.:D
:thumb2

I use Google Maps, WinGDB3 and finally Basecamp to get the map on to my Zumo

I agree Basecamp is terrible for route planning

:)

And if I have to shift the map to get more map in view then go back to the route tool,it wants to start a new route and not continue where I left off.

If you're "shifting" across the screen, use the scroll arrow keys. And don't drop your route, i.e. from the "elastic line".....
I'll put that another way, you should be able to use the +/- to zoom in/out; AND use the scroll arrow keys to move around the screen, while you're plotting your route.
;)

I gave up with Basecamp, as life's too short for the faffery of it.:comfort

When we went to Italy, I roughly planned the days ride each morning, so put in a dozen or so towns or villages, that are joined by the roads I wanted to ride on. Then, when I got near enough, would get the Nav to take me to the next village. I had some maps in the tank bag, so used these as well. Much easier, and far less stressful.:thumb

If I'm doing a route that someone on here has done, I'll cheat though, and ask them for their GPX files!:D

Thanks for the replies.
I've worked out what was happening-my maps hadn't loaded properly off my 660 so I was using the base map,whereas earlier they had loaded.
I could spend hours reading up on it but I'm going to use motogoloco as it seems intuitive and works from the off without having to complete a masters degree first !!

Install 'Tyre'

Develop you route using Google maps, and add up to 20 waypoints if required. (This will make the Garmin calculate the route the way you have develpoed it) and copy the link once your happy with it.

Open Tyre, import the route using the 'import route' tab......

A few practices, and it's a piece of piss.

Send it to your unit once it's connected to the computer.

Another one for tyre here .... I gave up on basecamp after it refused to recognise my garmin. Tyre is so simple its a breath of fresh air .. :thumb2

Install 'Tyre'

Develop you route using Google maps, and add up to 20 waypoints if required. (This will make the Garmin calculate the route the way you have develpoed it) and copy the link once your happy with it.

Open Tyre, import the route using the 'import route' tab......

A few practices, and it's a piece of piss.

Send it to your unit once it's connected to the computer.

Shame it won't work on a Mac!:blast

Back
Top Bottom