Yamaha Tracer demo ride......

Davy F

Reaction score
OK, this isn't my own bike, but what the hell !

Having seen the new Tracer at the NEC and honestly not having my boat floated, I needed to give the bike the chance to change my mind with how it rode. Approaching the bike as it sat on its side stand, I can't help feel that it looks very......busy. Lots of knooks and crannies, fake carbon look plastic......I don't think it has the air of quality that the Honda Crossrunner I rode recently has. Still, this is all about the ride, so off I went.

The three cylinder motor is a real peach. The only triples I've ridden before are Triumphs Tiger/Sport 1050s and this sounds less gravelly. I set the ride mode to A which I believe is the sharpest setting and nicked it into 1st gear. The gearbox is a delight as I went up through the gears and the exhaust emits a lovely sound. I doubt I'd want a louder pipe on this baby as I think that you'd lose the engine noise which is lovely to listen too.

I threaded my way through heavy traffic and made my way to some of my favourite roads. I found that the throttle is quite snatchy which surprised me as I thought Yamaha would have made better improvements after the complaints with the MT09. There seemed to be quite a bit of slack in the throttle and I presume you can't do anything about that as it's ride by wire. Still, as the ride went on I became more used to it, but it was always there in the background. Still, now out in the country, I was able to give the triple some beans to find out how responsive she was and I'm delighted to say that this motor really delivers. There seems to be power at all revs and it is a rather rapid motorcycle. The response from idle to around 6000 revs is terrific and when she hits 7k, she lifts her skirts and really flies.

Luckily, she can also handle the fast approaching bends with aplomb. Unlike the new Crossrunner which was a tad spongy and bouncy, the suspension is beautifully balanced and provides loads of feedback. Fork dive is acceptable when hammering on the responsive brakes and I enjoyed the dry roads flashing under my wheels as I tipped from one corner to the next. It really is a confidence inspiring machine and it felt really at home on it.

Which brings me onto the ergos. The seat was set in the higher position and I was happy with the amount of legroom provided. The reach to the handlebars was spot on and I can see many owners covering big miles in comfort. Well, that is if they don't buy the so called 'comfort saddle'. The closest comparison I can come up with is the obligatory plank of wood cliche. It really is that bad and I can't believe the standard seat is any worse. Anyway, what did impress is how comfortable the bike is at speed despite initially thinking the screen etc wouldn't keep much wind blast off me. Approaching 100+ mph (I luckily have access to a private runway) and beyond is amazing at how the designers have managed to keep the rider comfortable. I thought the hand guards were terribly over-styled, but they must work in conjunction with the headlamp nacelle and screen to deflect the worse of the wind away from the rider. It is much better than my 1190 Adv in this respect, really impressive.

The dash is simple and clear, much better than Hondas effort on the Crossrunner and it was easy to scroll through the different information on offer. The only thing I couldn't find was if the traction control could be turned off. It does a good job of keeping the front wheel near the ground and stifles the power in those exuberant twists of the throttle. As for the mirrors, hmmm, not much use IMO. They need to be wider, but that would push them out past the hand guards and into car mirror clipping territory.

The overall finish is fine given that this is a demo bike that won't get the pampering it deserves from a doting owner. And that owner should be very happy in his or her choice of motorcycle. I am really impressed with what Yamaha has delivered, especially for the price. It handles great, goes like stink, brakes well, has great ergos and according to the fuel readout returned 53 mpg despite my best efforts. It is really that good and is now on my radar when the time comes to let the KTM go. I just hope that someone comes up with a better seat by then.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 8,832
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 2,012
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 2,042
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 2,559
Oh, someone mentioned that the rear wheel would kick up a lot of kack in bad weather. I can confirm that this is the case as the pillion seat was bogging and I actually cleaned it before taking the pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,675
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,642
Very balanced report, Davy :thumb2

The bike gets great reviews in all the comics so it's good to know that, for once, they are close to the mark :beerjug:

Good review! I was going to get comfort seat for my trip to Spain later this year...but after reading this I might to think again about that then. Standard seat I've got is firm and I think is bit harder than on my RR, which I found fantastic seat give SuperSport roots! Brakes are good, I had a chance to use them hard yesterday, so ABS worked well and bike lost enough momentum before hiting Qashqai...

I've just finished installing BMW Navigator V cradle ( the one with buttons on the site) and radiator guards. Akrapovic exhaust is a must on this bike, as stock exhaust is too quiet for this lovely engine.

Heated grips (I set mine to LOW-3, MEDIUM-5, High-10) are super hot. Putting them on medium and riding in thin gloves is going to burn your palms :) I tried today using "GRIP" pockets on my BMW 2in1 gloves and low setting was definately hot, but not burning hot.

Throttle free play is too much in my opinion, I'd want to have some resistance from the smallest twist on it, but at least on mine is too much and according to manual it should be corrected by dealer if it is more than 3-5mm.

I've had mine 2 days - all I can say is, "hahahahahahahahaha."

I took a ride across the twisty A48 to Lydney today. It was a hoot.

wessie, you don't have heated grips on your bike if I recall? mine rattles a bit if you move it in all directions.

Does video show how big this movement is?or is it just me thinking that it is too much?

I did feel the jerkiness of the throttle may have been down to how much slack/play there seems to be in the twist grip. I would hope that there is some sort of fix as it does take away slightly from the otherwise terrific experience.

some pics of my bike...

IMAG1245.jpg

IMAG1244.jpg

IMAG1246.jpg

IMAG1247.jpg

IMAG1248.jpg

IMAG1249.jpg

IMAG1251.jpg

It's a beautiful day down sarf and I'm off been off work for quite a few weeks so thought I would pop along to my local dealer and take out their demo Tracey that has been available for just a couple of days.

Davy F sums it up pretty well in general,but here's my take.

Firstly I don't like the styling.As Davy said,too much plastic,the fake carbon looks naff and I really don't like the view from the seat:

The hand guards look over-styled,the dash is over fussy and all the angles make it just a bit too Star Wars for me,but I must be getting old.

I had the seat on the high setting and was pleasantly surprised with the riding position.Plenty of leg room with what felt like quite a rearward peg position which then cants you forward somewhat which felt quite natural.

I left the power in A mode and off I went for two hours.

As Davy says,the motor really is a peach-I had a Daytona 675 when they first came out in 2006 ish and the Tracey had similar character,with more grunt and it felt very tractable.BUT as mentioned above,I didn't like the throttle play,which was about 8mm of movement.Combined with a slightly jerky delivery it didn't always make for the smoothest of progress.It reminded me of the early KTM 990 motor before KTM altered the cam.

Though the riding position was fine,for me, the screen wasn't.I must confess to not fiddling with it much,but on the highest setting I found it VERY noisy even with my ear plugs in and a fair bit of buffet at higher speeds.

I should have lowered it a fair bit to get more wind over the body and less noise.

Moving on to another gripe-I didn't like the suspension.Whilst handling seemed very good,ride quality wasn't,unless on the smoothest roads.It just wasn't very compliant.

It's obviously been built to a cost but you can really tell,especially after normally riding a bike with sublime suspension.

So to sum up.

GREAT motor
Nice roomy riding position

BUT slightly spoilt by snatchy delivery exacerbated by throttle play and a choppy ride on all but the best surfaces.

For just over £8k, a real bargain but it's not for me.

PS

Davy,would you really consider one to replace your 1190 ????

Two more pics :

I finally got round to it, a test ride on the Yamaha Tracer.
The kind chaps at Bill Smiths in Chester handed over the keys to their demo bike and I took it for a hoon around some lovely Cheshire back roads.

Once I'd been shown the multitude of easy to use functions on the Super Tenere like dash, I asked to have the seat at the highest setting for my 34in inside leg and bad knees. Easily adjusted in seconds by a mounting plate moved underneath.

Setting off out of town, the riding position felt very natural and comfy, more leg room than I expected and nice and wide bars.
The seat felt firm but broad and flat, plenty of room to move around without forcing your balls into the tank.
The throttle response wasn't snatchy in standard mode and it snicked through gears easily enough with a light clutch.

Out of town and onto a quiet road I flicked it into A mode and wow! It catapulted forward into warp speed, the turbine like noise providing a matching soundtrack. Luckily, as a tight bend approached, the brakes were a perfect match to the power delivery and deceleration was immediate with plenty of feel. I was by now laughing in my helmet, this was fun.

Handling through the bends was excellent, it reminded me a bit of a Street Triple by being so effortless and light to lean into corners.

Approaching the pretty villages and B mode was selected. B for bimbling - ideal for trickling through urban areas and exploring single-track lanes as it calmed the throttle response down.
A high gear could be selected at low speed, the torque enabling smooth and easy roll-on power.
It was now evident that this bike is a bit of a Jekyll and Hide; great if you fancy a blast and attacking your favourite corners but also quite happy to trundle along admiring the views.

I had a great time on the Tracer and was very reluctant to take it back.
Of course, it wasn't perfect. Compared to the GS, the suspension felt a bit harsh and unrefined, although I'm sure some adjustment would improve it. The finish seemed a little bit budget in areas; some fasteners looked a bit cheap as did the rear brake lever.

The rear end seems very accommodating to fitting luggage - great mounting points and no exhaust in the way. I think Givi Trekkers would be perfect for it. There are also plenty of useful accessories available.

So would I buy one?
It would be tough to give up luxuries such as shaft drive and GS suspension but the Tracer has:
That fantastic engine, light weight (190Kg dry), responsive handling and value for money .

The GS will be up for sale soon!

Picking up my new tracer tonight !!! So lots of tenere goodies for sale , arrow exhaust, pc5 , lots more Give me a shout for details

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just tried one.

Felt like a nutters bike to me, revvy and fast with no flywheel weight at all, not what I was expecting, like a Supersport 600 just with a more comfy riding position and a load more low down grunt.

Impressive engine with regard to spread of power and damn fast when ridden hard, but it felt very buzzy and had very noticeable vibes through pegs at some speeds, in top it always felt like you were running a gear too low.

The suspension was pretty crude though, it seemed to find teeth rattling bumps on what I consider to be some of the smoothest A-Road near me and on back lanes was a real bone shaker.

I was hoping for an evolution of the Mrs TDM with relaxed cruising and some reasonable bump absorption, or maybe a modern VFR800 but a bit more upright but this thing is like a RD350 on steroids.

Great bike, but probably not what I am looking for as a daily commuter, certainly not what I would call a Sports Tourer.

I had a short test of one and thought it to be a great bike. (Sure - a few foibles, but what bike doesn't)

It's a budget bike, but punches above it's weight - and sure - would benefit from an aftermarket shock and fork inserts - but hey... GS owners are happy to buy an Akra can for sound alone.

A great bike, add decent suspension and frames to support your Ardcases/Metalmules/Holans and you have a cracking (cheap) bike.

Al

Are you suggesting I am a nutter, Rasher?

It can be a commuter and tourer as it bimbles along quite nicely fully laden and is great in traffic as it is light & nimble but you have a high riding position to see ahead.

It does bounce around a bit on bumpy roads but this doesn't worry me. A few have got into trouble with a head shake. For me, this can be controlled by leaning forward or countersteering and most essentially, not have a death grip on the bars as this will give unintended steering inputs as it bounces about. It is really great fun around here in the Cotswolds and has rejuvenated my riding after a prolonged illness.

One finished on ebay last night, 2 months old 1395 miles and it sold for £6250, add in replacement shock and forks springs and you'll have a cracking bike.

One finished on ebay last night, 2 months old 1395 miles and it sold for £6250, add in replacement shock and forks springs and you'll have a cracking bike.

+1 :thumb

Mines done 5000 miles now and the vibes have virtually gone.

The head shake has too . I can't explain why though . Maybe I'm more relaxed on the bars and with the bike .

It is really great fun around here in the Cotswolds and has rejuvenated my riding after a prolonged illness.

That is all that matters really.

I really enjoyed riding my S10 home, I would say it saved my riding, but that was the GS I had previously. In reality I want something half way between the two (S10 and Tracer)

Back
Top Bottom