Map Dowlnoad Speeds

Heston Service

Reaction score
I thought it was about time I stopped lurking and started posting! :)

I have a GPS V and get really frustrated with the slow and unreliable serial port down / uploading. I'm off to the north tomorrow and am my third attempt to upload my waypoints and maps.

Does anyone have the Streetpilot III / BMW Navigator / another model or brand? Is the USB interface quicker or more reliable?

This seems to be the only problem with an otherwise great product.

Someone will leap in if I'm wrong, but whilst maps are pretty quick to load using the cardreader/USB port - 128Mb takes less than 5 minutes all up, routes can only be loaded with the serial port. That said, I did load a single route last week in about 45 seconds.

Previous efforts to load a 128Mb map through the serial port took best part of 2 hours!

Greg

Nah you're pretty much bang on there Greg

The maps go on the datacard and are loaded via the USB card reader. Routes & waypoints are downloaded and uploaded via the serial interface that your man Heston Services enjoys so much with the Garmin V.

Though waypoints and routes take no time at all - on your Garmin V downlads its the map downloads which are slowing you down not the outes and waypoints.

That and the data capacity constraints are the only drivers for upgrading from the V which otherwise is an exceptional unit.

As for 2 hours for a 128MB map download via serial Greg, that is mightily impressive seeing a 19MB download on the V takes about 54 minutes!!

Re: Nah you're pretty much bang on there Greg

jud9e said:

As for 2 hours for a 128MB map download via serial Greg, that is mightily impressive seeing a 19MB download on the V takes about 54 minutes!!

Jud9e,
Is your 'puter steam driven? My Vistas' 24MB would generally load in 45 mins.
The SP III is great. 128 MB loaded in 5 mins :) :) :)

Good job I bought a Navigator.
If I had to wait more than five minutes for it to load a few maps and routes it would soon be on the for sales page.
Sell it and buy a one that uses usb.

Back
Top Bottom