Nav 5 Music not working

FBF

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Evereyone

acquired a new nav 5 yesterday and installed latest updates but can't get it to play music to System 6 Helmet.

have followed instructions to the letter and inserted a 32gb SD card into the unit which has been formatted to FAT32.

created a folder called MP3 into which I then copied several MP3 tracks.

when i try to play music using the MEDIA PLAyER get an error message telling me there are no files in the MP3 folder.

have spent ages on the phone to the Garmin helpline who are about as much use as a Fish with Tits and completely incompetent. the last numpty I spoke to told me they replicated the fault on another unit and have advised me to provide proof of purchase and return the unit to them for exchange which will take 14 days.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem and if so do they know of a simple fix

regards

an extremely pissed off and frustrated FBF

First off, you have to have the Bluetooth headset in the helmet switched on and paired to the Nav V before the Music App on the nav V will work. With no A2DP (or whatever it is called) headset paired to the Nav V, the music app will not even open

First off, you have to have the Bluetooth headset in the helmet switched on and paired to the Nav V before the Music App on the nav V will work. With no A2DP (or whatever it is called) headset paired to the Nav V, the music app will not even open

To clarify the BMW helmet is paired to the Twat Nav and music is enabled in the Nav

Have you tried titling/entitling/calling the MP 3 file 'Music'?
Mine works fine & I'm genuinely an idiot.

Have you tried titling/entitling/calling the MP 3 file 'Music'?
Mine works fine & I'm genuinely an idiot.

The instructions say name folder MP3 and tried renaming it MP3 music to no avail

I had the same issue with the Zumo 590. Turns out you need at least one MP3 file in the MP3 folder on the actual device memory before it will acknowledge any on the sd card. I just put a single MP3 on the device in the MP3 folder and it started picking up all the others from the sd card. Remove the single file from the device and it goes back to no songs found despite the 1000 or so on the memory card.

Maybe the Nav 5 works the same way?

I had the same issue with the Zumo 590. Turns out you need at least one MP3 file in the MP3 folder on the actual device memory before it will acknowledge any on the sd card. I just put a single MP3 on the device in the MP3 folder and it started picking up all the others from the sd card. Remove the single file from the device and it goes back to no songs found despite the 1000 or so on the memory card.

Not sure if you are gainfully employed at present or seeking a career change. If you are a job awaits you at Garmin technical support. What infuriates me is that none of the so called tech support "advisors" I spoke to had any knowledge of the device and relied upon online manuals.

Of the four numpties I spoke to at Garmin none of them were aware of the solution you provided.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read my post and offer their advice.

navigator 5 paired to Interphone FM3C

Hi guys. I have just bought a Navigator 5 and Interphone FM3C. I too have an issue with no sound from the media player on the Navigator 5. I also had the problem of not picking up the mp3 files, which it now does thanks to your help and advice. Garmin are just rubbish telling me to turn up the volume control - Doh!! The media player plays the music but there is no sound from the interphone, except for the button clicks when I press the Media player buttons. I have noticed that when I press the Media Player volume control, that the message 'use the volume control on the Interphone' appears and the speaker symbol has a line through it, and the phone mixer volume slider is greyed out. Even when the Navigator is not paired to the interphone, when I press the speaker symbol on the main navigator screen it shows a line through the speaker symbol, even though the volume adjusts from muted to 100%.

I have done the same test with Bahnstormers demonstration Navigator and my interphone, and it's still the same, so now I'm thinking maybe its the Interphone.

The interphone streams music from my samsung mobile perfectly. All other sounds from the navigator work perfectly with the Interphone.

Can anybody help please.

Best wishes

Paul

This may be a bit of a stone being thrown into the waters, but I have a Nav V that succesfully plays music via the music app. And I have NO music files of any sort on the unit itself. The music is all on the SD card with the following file structure:

I have a main folder called MP3

Within that folder I have a sub-folders for the artists names

Within that sub-folder all the albums are listed

And within each album folder I have the MP3 files .

This works well and I can browse for artists, albums etc on the Nav V.

Garmin have sent me a load of software checks to do so I will report back when I have tried them. Paul08 do you have a Navigator 5 used with an Interphone Fm3c?

Garmin have sent me a load of software checks to do so I will report back when I have tried them. Paul08 do you have a Navigator 5 used with an Interphone Fm3c?

No, sorry. I use my Nav V with a Sena SMH10R and it works perfectly. The Sena User Manual gives connection details for varipus scenarios. Mine is as follows:

iPhone paired with Nav V - this routes calls etc through the Nav V

Nav V paired as a 'phone' with the Sena - this is required (so they say) so that I can get the phone calls from the iPhone and the music and the nav instructions from the Nav V to the headset. Indeed, when I switch everything on, the headset announces "Phone paired" when the connection has been made to the Nav V.

The music app on the Nav V will only open up on the Nav V once the pairing has been made.

I do not know if this makes a difference, but it was something I read on a posting here a year or so ago: I always switch on my Sena headset before I switch on the bike ignition which turns on the Nav V. I then never have any pairing issues - probably famous last words now I have put it in print!!!!!!

I do not know what the manual is like for the Interphone, but the Sena on is helpful on details of the various pairing options. if you pm me your email address, I can send you a copy of the Sena Manual in digital form.

I also seem to remember that having your music in the correct file structure was important.

This may be stating the obvious, but have you checked what the Media level is set to in the volume mixer (main screen, volume button, spanner in top left, then media level)?

It does sound suspiciously like the media volume is turned right down while the remaining phone and navigation volumes are up at some audible level.

Dae.

Ok, here is another stone in the water....
I use a Cardo helmet system but find the Nav 5 Bluetooth rather fussy. I always make sure that the Cardo is on and 'settled' before turning the Nav 5 on. This ensures a proper blue tooth connection to the media player.
Otherwise, I've had it where I can hear the direction notifications from the navigation lady but when I press the media app it say no blue tooth listening device connected!

Garmin were meant to have improved the Bluetooth connectivity on the last software upgrade but I still find it temperamental.

navigator 5 paired to Interphone FM3C

Ok, here is another stone in the water....
I use a Cardo helmet system but find the Nav 5 Bluetooth rather fussy. I always make sure that the Cardo is on and 'settled' before turning the Nav 5 on. This ensures a proper blue tooth connection to the media player.
Otherwise, I've had it where I can hear the direction notifications from the navigation lady but when I press the media app it say no blue tooth listening device connected!

Garmin were meant to have improved the Bluetooth connectivity on the last software upgrade but I still find it temperamental.

Thanks for all the replies. I completed a load of tests for Garmin and sent them the logs. Garmin has advised me to exchange the Navigator for a new one , at the retailers. As an aside, the loudspeaker symbol had a permanent line through it whether sound was muted or not.

This is a weird one, was there an update. Because one day my NavV was playing music just fine. The next day no music.
Then I have to do this renaming MP3 thing.

I have had he NavV for over a year and this particular problem have only just started in the last couple of weeks
Very strange

I use a UClear. Everything works expect music. The NAV5 lists the tracks and appears to play them but I get silence. As I said, I get voice prompts for navigation and I can make phone calls.

Clear have stated that to get the music back I need to rollback my headset firmware "because of a change BMW made on the NAV5 firmware" but since I use the headset in a group this is not an option. It doesn't appear that anyone is taking responsibility for it.

Back
Top Bottom