bmw nav5 car mount

ianm00

Reaction score
Hi,

Does the BMW NAV 5 Car mount have both a speaker and microphone so that the phone can be linked via bluetooth and used in the car as handsfree?

Ian

From Nav V site

Can I use my BMW Motorrad Navigator V away from my motorcycle, for example in my car?
If you also wish to use your Navigator V in your car, you will need a car kit, consisting of a cradle with integrated loudspeaker, a mounting for the windscreen, and a connecting cable; this is available as an BMW accessory, and has the part number 77 52 8 544 460.

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/equipment/navigation2014/faq/faq_overview.html

From the above web site it also says:

I can only connect my Navigator V to my mobile phone for a short time (approx. 10 seconds) before the connection is lost. An error message is then displayed in the Navigator V. Connections via Smartphone Link do not work properly. Why is this?

As the Navigator V does not have a built-in loudspeaker, this message is displayed when there is no output medium available for audio. A telephone connection is only permitted when a Bluetooth Headset or helmet or car kit (with activated power supply) has been connected. Of course, the SmartPhone Link via Bluetooth also works without a headset or car kit.

This says a telephone connection is permitted with a car kit. Can anyone confirm that the mount includes a microphone allowing phone use when in the car kit?

I can check mine out tomorrow if you like, assuming you haven't had an answer by then?

Mines at home or I'd check, but the BMW press release states the car holder has an integrated speaker and mic

"BMW Motorrad presents the new Navigator V featuring a large and bright 5" TFT Display as well as functions precisely tailored to the rider's needs. The premium-class, Bluetooth capable GPS navigation system is not only a reliable guide on and off the roads of Europe, but also when not in use on the motorcycle. With an automobile mounting kit the powerful GPS unit can also be used as a navigator in the car. The navigation system can be used as a hands-free speaker phone for Bluetooth mobiles thanks to the loudspeaker and microphone integrated into the holder."

The reason I ask is that my BMW dealer initially told me there wasn't even a speaker. I questioned this and he then said yes it has speaker but no microphone.

If the phone is linked via bluetooth to use the smartlink ap for traffic this will mean that the phone cannot be used for calls if there is no speaker or microphone.

Thanks

Ian

Yip. Connected the phone via the Nav V car mount & made a call 2 minutes ago.
:thumb2

Now, your dealer might be right, it could be that the Nav V mount doesn't have a mic. but I was able to hold a 2 way conversation using my phone, the nav V mount & Bluetooth. Whether my voice was transmitted by my phone mic, I don't honestly know but ultimately I was able to have a normal phone conversation by this method. Not sure if that helps?

Yip. Connected the phone via the Nav V car mount & made a call 2 minutes ago.
:thumb2

Now, your dealer might be right, it could be that the Nav V mount doesn't have a mic. but I was able to hold a 2 way conversation using my phone, the nav V mount & Bluetooth. Whether my voice was transmitted by my phone mic, I don't honestly know but ultimately I was able to have a normal phone conversation by this method. Not sure if that helps?

Thank you.

The dealer has now also replied to an email and said that it does contain a microphone as well.

Back
Top Bottom