2015.40 Map update available via Garmin Express - enjoy

tecman

Reaction score
Loaded up to my Nav V and it seems to be working ok. I had to do it twice as first download failed overnight.

DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR GARMIN EXPRESS IF YOU HAVE VER.3.2.27 OR 3.2.29 AND YOU USE MORE THAN ONE COMPUTER WITH YOUR MAPS ON

IF YOU UPGRADE TO VER 4.08.0 IT HAS A BUG IN IT surprise.... and will not offer you the option to "install to computer only" when you try to get the new maps on your 2nd computer..

You can install to the "device only" which is no good as the maps are already on here..

Garmin helpfully tell you to uninstall ver 4 and reinstall the older version.

EVERY F IN TIME GARMIN ISSUE NEW MAP UPDATES I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, A DAY F IN ABOUT WAITING FOR A 4 HOUR DOWNLOAD TO FAIL AND TRY AGAIN.

Not impressed

I installed the updated map today with no issue. Left it running while I went to the gym, and when I got back, it was all done.:beerjug:

That does not sound like a bug to me. Rather it is Garmin trying to limit people who want to perhaps use multiple downloads to share software with others who have not paid for it. BTW, I am NOT suggesting that the OP falls into this category.

But, the maps you buy (e.g. Lifetime Maps) are tied to the GPS device, and Garmin allow you to download the maps to a computer (now limited to one computer) so that you can use Basecamp software. If the OP wants to use Basecamp on multiple other computers, then all he has to do is connect one of his GPS devices (for which he has paid for map updates on)to the computer and Basecamp can access and use the maps that are held on the GPS device.

I do not see that as unreasonable. Just Garmin protecting its intelectual property. Indeed, it may not be Garmin forcing the issue, but Navteq as I believe the mapping is Navteq not Garmin

It is not a bug, but the way the new version works as detailed on the Garmin website:

"NOTE: maps cannot currently be installed to the computer if the map update has already been successfully installed to the device. This feature is only available on the initial installation attempt."

I read the Garmin documentation before upgrading in case there were any known issues or functionality changes. When I saw the above I simply used gmtk to copy the maps across all my machines which to be fair is considerably quicker than installing them over again through Garmin Express

It is not a bug, but the way the new version works as detailed on the Garmin website:

"NOTE: maps cannot currently be installed to the computer if the map update has already been successfully installed to the device. This feature is only available on the initial installation attempt."

Thanks for that..............that explains a lot! :blast

Thanks for that..............that explains a lot! :blast
I have posted it on a few of the many Garmin Express / map update threads recently as people do seem to keep getting caught out by it.

I do sometimes think Garmin get unfairly blamed for things when people rush in and blindly install updates without checking what they do because they must have the latest version within hours of release. And in the interest of being fair they also make some monumentally stupid decisions. I can, hand on heart though, say I have never had a single issue updating maps across 5 Zumos (500,550,2*660 & a 590) over 7 years on many PCs running various flavours of Windows (xp to 8.1) and Mac (Maverick and Yosemite) and including both Mapsource and Basecamp.

Back
Top Bottom