Basecamp "Send to device" woes

agcstoat

Reaction score
Over the last couple of years I've slowly got to grips with Basecamp's quirks and I actually quite like it now. However, I must be doing something fundamentally wrong.
I recently swapped out my Zumo 660 for a Nav V and I've been setting up some new routes and so on, as you do.
The problem occurs when I transfer waypoints and routes to either device; every waypoint which occurs in more than one route is duplicated so that I end up with a load of extra points labelled "Home1", "Home2" etc. I'm sure I must be doing something wrong, but I can't for the life of me work out what it is...
Can anybody suggest a solution?

Thanks,
Alan

Sometimes you forget exactly why you do something's, but piling up duplicate waypoints like 'HOME' in my satnav is the reasons I never start and end a route in Basecamp with a HOME waypoint, I just start and end in my street.

BTW, your not doing it exactly wrong, your just not doing it quite right, OK :thumb

If you want to start or return to 'Home' open 'My Collection', find your 'Home' waypoint copy and paste it into your new route. That will stop the duplication and this technique applies equally to all waypoints not just 'Home'.

Dave

Also, unless you really need a location as a 'waypoint', it is much better to convert as many of the 'waypoints' that you have used to create your route into shaping points (or whatever they are called). That has the added advantage that, should you have to detour off your route for any reason, your satnav does not then work overtime trying to rute you back so that you visit a missed waypoint. Rather it will just work to get you back on your route in the most efficient manner

(I do not have Basecamp open at the moment, so cannot give chapter and verse on how to do this, but it was in one of Wapping's very helpful posts last year)

Delete Basecamp and use Tyre, it's free and excellent, it communicates to a Garmin and Tom Tom no problems.

http://www.tyretotravel.com/

I'd rate Tyre 8.5/10 the Basecamp I'd give a 5/10. but that's just me !!

:cool:

or just down load it and give it a go in parallel that's what I did.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the help. I've followed the advice to only sync the routes, which then bring the required waypoints and routing nodes in. This avoids the duplication and has made me a happy bunny.

Version 3.10 downloadable from Garmin Express seems to be free of the duplicated waypoints for me.

Changes made from version 2.80 to 3.10:

Added Dynamic Fuel Stops feature.
Improved Garmin Express support.
Improved performance of InstaSearch suggestions.
Added the ability to search a multi-route trip.
Improved the user experience for incoming calls.
Fixed an issue that could cause the GPS signal to be lost in mountainous areas.
Fixed an issue that could cause the active route to be terminated.
Fixed an issue that could cause the itinerary to display incorrectly.
Fixed an issue that could cause excessive search results.
Improved software stability.

Back
Top Bottom