Tank Bag for Dakar (05)

Triton

Hi All,

I am looking for a tank bag for a Dakar, ideally with strengths in the following of:

Variable volume

Water proofness(?)/Resistance

Ease of fitting/access/removal

Security

etc.

The BMW option seems V expensive so I would be greatly interested in your opinions as to what you consider the "best" (which may include BMW's unit ...)

Regards,

Trition

Errrrmmmm.......

Ease of fitting/access/removal

Security

:confused:

isn't that a contradiction in terms? :p :D

Yeah ... ah well ... you know ... the things which make it good????

I got an Oxford Humpback for Xmas. It has a strap on base unit with a large map holder, which the tankbag zips onto. When you expand it there are fold out stiffeners which stop it flopping around (not so sure about after a good soaking.) There is a good clear PVC rain cover, which will keep everything dry if you use it.

It looks well made and is ideal for those little things that its nice to have when your are out and around on your bike, but not exactly Tardis like when filled.

http://www.thewatermargin.com/html/F650GS/Accessories.htm

PB

Touratech

I don't know how much the BMW one is, but I've been really impressed with my Touratech. It's quite pricey, but does a brilliant job, and fits most of the above requirements! Security is a little bit of a problem, but no more than any other piece of bike luggage.

I also have just purchased a Touratech one as it can be used as a rucksack. (Albiet not the greatest rucksack as the strapping arrangement is very basic !) I can't remember the exact price but I think it was dearer than the BMW one..the rain cover also costs extra !

....continued......

.....having just spent a week touring around Wales with the Touratech bag with a friend on a Dakar with the BMW bag, I would opt for the BMW bag-it is far more stable due to stiff bag side-walls and easier to load/unload due to its elasticated straps at the front. The only thing really missing is the rucksack facility which is not that good on the Touratech as I said before, but there may be ways to develop something round the BMW bag-perhaps using a small rucksack within the tank bag would solve your security concerns as you could always take its contents with you. Not really impressed with Touratech on this occasion.

Hope this helpful.

Thanks everone for your comments looks like its between the TT and BMW. Might just flip a coin???

Regards,

Shayne

The reason I choosed the TT tank bag was the bigger map pocket.
If You will use maps go for the TT bag.

Having just returned from a 13 day tour of Spain using the Touratech tank bag on an 04 Dakar I can thoroughly recommend it. One of the advantages the bag has over the BMW bag is that the map compartment is seperate to the bag and velcros to the top of the bag. This allow you easier access to the map compartment, and also means that should the clear plastic of the map case split you can purchase a replacement. Whereas should the same occur on the BMW bag you have a leaking bag which needs replacing.

Back
Top Bottom