memory loss

Kenny Rodkiss

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After fannying around with my gps last week, out of the mount, it shut itself off as the battery had run down.
Put in the mount today and it behaved as if it was just out the box, wanting to know my country?
All of my personal settings were gone and so was all the service data that I had entered.
Favourites seem to be ok, as do home and routes and tracks.
Anyone shed some light?
I know the old 550 had a small internal battery that kept track of the time and such but not sure if the 590 has a similar set up, and I had let the main battery go flat and also the internal battery as well?:nenau

So it lost all power - became flat. Re-boot/ Recharge, start again.
It doen't have a brain, try thinking for it perhaps?.
Did you save the 'info' on your PC?
My experience with Satnavs is keep it charged and update often.

Advice =
Get it fully charged, check for updates through your laptop, use as normal. the end.

Nope, not the end?
When starting my bike, it would sometimes turn off power to the GPS feed, so the GPS would boot up when I turn the key on and then a message, lost power, when starting the bike.
Probably the canbus seeing a drain on the socket and shutting it down?
Not every time, only when the GPS battery was not fully charged.
That was with the old 550.
Today I started the bike then turned on the 590 before fitting it to the cradle.
When i put it in the cradle it shut down and rebooted and started searching for satellites.
Seemed to work OK for the rest of the day following a route I done on mapsource OK.
Just annoyed that it did not save all my service data.
Better weathers here now so a bit more use will see if it behaves.

On my first trip abroad with my 590 last year I didn't turn it off properly when we finished riding for the day (left on standby by accident) and when I turned it on for the next days ride I found I had lost all of my routes for the 14 day trip across Europe! fortunately I managed to recover them that evening as I had saved them to 'Garmin cloud', but could have been a disaster!

Back
Top Bottom