Air Canada Bike shipping promotion

AustinW

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well I booked the bike yesterday for a flight on 2nd June and I just thought I would let you know the shipping details in case anyone else fancies it.

The promotion from Air Canada is on any of their wide body jet routes with bike shipping at $1000canadian, discounted to $700 if you fly as passenger with AC. In practice the routes for the UK means Heathrow to Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver. The exchange rate to the canadian $ is just under 2 to the pound so the cost should be around £380 with the discount. As ever with shipping they charge you to lift every finger and there's a few additions:

Heathrow charge to receive the bike, inspect it, security vet it and move it. Its charged per kilo and adds up to 40p per kilo so should add about £100-125 depending on how light I can pack

At montreal they charge $65+ 10cents per kilo for customs and moving the bike. Say £50

In addition I am paying James Cargo for doing the dangerous goods certificate and customs clearance - £55.

There is also the option of paying insurance while the bike is in flight at $3 per $1000 insured. That will add about £25.

I think that's it, so call it £600 one way. Should be the same coming back.

Motor Insurance through Motorcycle express is coming out at $454 USD for 4 months. So about £300.

So that's the bike there and back and insured for about £1500 and I can SORN it and cancel Uk insurance while I am there so I get a little back. Our flights cost a bit over £1000 for us both.

Air Canada want the bike about 24 hours before planned departure and they will put it on the same flight as you but I elected for the bike to go a day earlier so there is minimal waiting around for the freight to be unloaded moved, cleared and be ready for collection as that takes a minimum of 2 hours and more like 4-6hours. I am dropping the bike off on 1st June, it goes on 2nd June, we fly on the 3rd.

If anyone else is thinking of doing this I would advise you to deal with the guys in Canada as they are much more familiar with the promotion and how to book it. Once you have a confirmed booking for the bike (an Airway Bill) then liaise with the AC team in Heathrow for the practicalities and timing of delivery and packing. The bike also needs to be clean as the Canadian border people get a bit paranoid over bugs and dirt entering the country. I am told this means just clean, as in no obvious soil or bugs, and not showroom clean - just as well for me. After what I paid to get the bike to/from USA last year this is an absolute bargain. Long may it continue.

Thanks for the info Austin, I just sent the guys at AC an email asking for a quote and they told me it's £650 + whatever import fee Canada charges. I guess this includes everything in your breakdown, as they haven't give me any details of the cost.

This is an absolute bargain, please let me know how was the experience once you clear the bike in Canada.

Well I booked the bike yesterday for a flight on 2nd June and I just thought I would let you know the shipping details in case anyone else fancies it.

The promotion from Air Canada is on any of their wide body jet routes with bike shipping at $1000canadian, discounted to $700 if you fly as passenger with AC. In practice the routes for the UK means Heathrow to Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver. The exchange rate to the canadian $ is just under 2 to the pound so the cost should be around £380 with the discount. As ever with shipping they charge you to lift every finger and there's a few additions:

Heathrow charge to receive the bike, inspect it, security vet it and move it. Its charged per kilo and adds up to 40p per kilo so should add about £100-125 depending on how light I can pack

At montreal they charge $65+ 10cents per kilo for customs and moving the bike. Say £50

In addition I am paying James Cargo for doing the dangerous goods certificate and customs clearance - £55.

There is also the option of paying insurance while the bike is in flight at $3 per $1000 insured. That will add about £25.

I think that's it, so call it £600 one way. Should be the same coming back.

Motor Insurance through Motorcycle express is coming out at $454 USD for 4 months. So about £300.

So that's the bike there and back and insured for about £1500 and I can SORN it and cancel Uk insurance while I am there so I get a little back. Our flights cost a bit over £1000 for us both.

Air Canada want the bike about 24 hours before planned departure and they will put it on the same flight as you but I elected for the bike to go a day earlier so there is minimal waiting around for the freight to be unloaded moved, cleared and be ready for collection as that takes a minimum of 2 hours and more like 4-6hours. I am dropping the bike off on 1st June, it goes on 2nd June, we fly on the 3rd.

If anyone else is thinking of doing this I would advise you to deal with the guys in Canada as they are much more familiar with the promotion and how to book it. Once you have a confirmed booking for the bike (an Airway Bill) then liaise with the AC team in Heathrow for the practicalities and timing of delivery and packing. The bike also needs to be clean as the Canadian border people get a bit paranoid over bugs and dirt entering the country. I am told this means just clean, as in no obvious soil or bugs, and not showroom clean - just as well for me. After what I paid to get the bike to/from USA last year this is an absolute bargain. Long may it continue.

Great info, many thanks.

I booked the air freight to Calgary two weeks ago, and they suddenly it seems that "headquarters in Canada have issued a updated directive of costing's that we are obliged to abide by".

These are the new costs I've got:
Freight rate : 850.00 GBP
Airline handling : 25.00 GBP
Customs Fee: 32.00 GBP
Security: 25.00 GBP
Dangerous Goods check fee: 41.50 GBP

So it will be £973 instead of £650, and they didn't respect my previous quote. Still cheaper than other options, but it also means that they could review their costs again.

Back
Top Bottom