heated jackets /waistcoats

retroman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just back from Storey Armws (Brecon Beacons/A470), where I went basically because its snowing & I wanted some pictures of the GS in the snow just to hack off my fair-weather non Beemer riding mates. Top scenery, excellent photos, but now despite 6 layers of clothing I've got hypothermia ....

Any recommendations re: heated waistcoats? The BMW one seems outrageous at £200 a throw - what about the Chilli effort? Do they work? Are they worth the wonga? Or am I a wuss?

Cheers guys

Keeping warm...

Although I can give you any advise on heated clothing I can give you some tips to keep warm on a bike in wintertime...

- for longer trips, take some extra gloves underneath your jacket;
change your gloves as soon as you hands are getting to cold/painfull
- because most energy is used to keep your head warm, try to keep your helmet closed, and use an extra shawl to prevent
cold coming in
- when using extra layers of clothing, don't wear jeans or other tightfitting clothing, a "camping smoking" or some cheap fleece
works much better

Good luck!

Attachments

• icebeer1999_2.jpg
    icebeer1999_2.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 467
Jesus Zwerver, your'e a hero.

Agreed, but sometimes there is a fine line between being a hero and being dead. See the picture - taken from one of my favourite sites on the net - www.despair.com

Mike

Attachments

• mistake2.jpg
    mistake2.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 401
G'day

I have a Gerben heated vest for a month or 2
Great piece of hardware, this thing is HOT

Unlike the BMW vest, it hat heated sleeves and neck.
You really need a regulator with it, its to hot to run on full power all the time, even at temps just below 0

Instead of multi layer clothing, and pealing of and on layers when the temp varies (morning, rain/sun) I simply toggle the switch of the regulator, 1 vest for a BIG temp range

I have replaced the standard connection wire with a spiral one from a shaving-apparatus, gives me the freedom to stand up, without disconnecting the plug or driving around with a too long wire.

Attachments

• testdrive.jpg
    testdrive.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 375
Retroman

For winter riding heated kit is "the biz" I used a Widder heated waistcoat for the first time last winter & wouldn't be without. I've just sold it (lost so much weight it didn't fit sguggly enough anymore) and have replaced it with the BMW item, more expensive I agree but it's a bit shorter & fits better under my zip together gear.

The widder is cheaper & just as warm though, and does have the option of heated sleeves - however I find that due to the fact that your body core temperature is kept up your arms & hands keep warmer anyway - (when the body gets cold blood is diverted to the core from the extremeties to keep hypothermia at bay)

You also need fewer layers so feel more free to move. The waistcoat needs to be a snugg fit so as to transfer maximum heat to the body & is best worn over just one thin wicking layer with a thicker layer over the top of the waistcoat. I use silk undies(oooh!!) with something like a thin walking fleece over it and find this fine.

Have fun & stay snugg

Ade

klan kit

Jus thought I would add my 2cents worth, been umming and ahhing 'bout this stuff for a couple of months, got home from a bit of a chiller ride, so thought bugger it. Rang all the usuals, widder, chilli, b££££mw. in the end I got a Giali [now Klan] vest heated collar and decent looking waterproof switch etc for £102. the bit that swung it was the fact that the vest looks good enough to be worn on it's own and has got a few pockets big enough to keep ya toasted sarnie's warm during a ride

Anyways, turned up next dayish, no probs

http://www.klansrl.com/default.asp

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Me Wife uses a Chilli wastecoat and loves it, she also has some of them heated sock thingys and love them too.

Me, I rely on the inches of blubber underneath the Dermis, or is it Epidermis, never was much good at Maths at school! Oh and the Heated Grips.

CC

PS I have a generator on a trailer that I drag around behind us !;)

Re: klan kit

Chris G said:
Jus thought I would add my 2cents worth, been umming and ahhing 'bout this stuff for a couple of months, got home from a bit of a chiller ride, so thought bugger it. Rang all the usuals, widder, chilli, b££££mw. in the end I got a Giali [now Klan] vest heated collar and decent looking waterproof switch etc for £102. the bit that swung it was the fact that the vest looks good enough to be worn on it's own and has got a few pockets big enough to keep ya toasted sarnie's warm during a ride

Anyways, turned up next dayish, no probs

http://www.klansrl.com/default.asp

:cool: :cool: :cool:

So where would you get one of these from?

Back
Top Bottom