Heated grips

John Roberts

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi

I bought a new set of BMW heated grips at a bargain price (I repaired the old ones twice and they are by now beyond hope) and as the kit was for a different model of BMW I now need the little surround that fits around the panel-mounted half-power/off/full-power switch, Part No. 03 8330 to allow me to mount it on the dash. ('82 R100RS) So can anyone tell me where I can find the part no. of this bit, please?

If it helps, the switch is the rocker type, the rocker itself is 35mm x 18.5mm and has an illuminated heated grip symbol on it, the body of the switch is 26.8mm x 14.5mm with a clip moulded on at each end to lock it in place in the surround that I'm looking for. Measurement over the clips is 33mm. It has three wires soldered on.

I could also do with a wiring diagram for the set-up as I am mystified as to how a change-over switch with three wires to it can possibly give both half- and full power. Actually, I'm not absolutely certain of that; the dealer said that in one position of the switch the grips were connected in parallel and in the other in series, and according to the voltmeter on the dash one position does take more power than the other

Thanks,

John
------------------

The half power setting relies on a section of resistance wire in the wiring loom. I don't think it is on the loom for GSs. I had to wire in a couple of bloody great resistors on a heat sink under my tank when I fitted the standard BMW grips onto my '90 GS.

I think the resistors were 1 omn each, wired in series. Measure the resistance of your grips and use resistors of the same resistance to hlaf the pwer output.

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thank you for an intelligent response, when I thought I wasn't going to get one!

Yep, that would work. There is something in the loom but I was reluctant to rip the thing apart to find out exactly what it was. Thanks for that.

God, but aint heated grips great? I've just got a 400watt uprated alternator from Motor Works so I've bought a heated waistcoat as well, and that now means I can now use my two extra spotlamps at night without having to maintain 4,000rpm. That used to be a bit of a pisser, the thing was, you had to do at least 75mph if you wanted to use the spots in top or else you'd run the battery down unless you dropped a cog. It feels like I've just come out of the dark ages what with all the extra warmth and light.

I don't know what output you have on yours, 280watts was standard in '82, but like I said 400watts is available; I did have a modicum of bother with fitting mine, if anybody's interested I've taken notes & photos of what I did to get around the problems as Motor Works don't provide instructions.

Cheers,

John

The 1150GS wiring diagram shows a 1.9 ohm resistance wire for the low setting. I haven't bothered to check the resistance of the grips themselves, so I don't know if BMW did this because it gives a better low setting than half power would, or because it's cheaper than the switch needed for series/parallel.

Cheers,
Andy

Series/parallel

Hi Andy,

I checked the switch before putting it on the bike (I say 'put it on' rather than 'installed it' beacause all I've done with the switch is to tape it to the steering damper knob with masking tape. Well, it's got to be better than having it drag along the road innit?)-where was I- and as far as I could tell it really was a simple on/off/on switch. That is, three contacts: the middle one connecting (a) to the LEFT, (b) dis, and (c) to the RIGHT. I have certain qualifications in Electrical Engineering and with just three leads coming out of this simple switch it pisses me off rather that I don't seem to have the wit to figure out how the two grips can be connected in series/parallel. The answer may be that 'cos I is thick, true.

Cheers

J

PS, Re your location, just had a look, would that be Dunedin, New Zealand, then? Oh Christ, I believe we Grand Slammers (Wales) will be playing you lot next November. Be gentle with us.
J

I spent a few minutes scribbling diagrams to try and work out how series/parallel was done with three leads, then gave up and hunted down a BMW circuit diagram (for the 1150GS; I'm guessing others are similar). The switch connects the live feed to both grips in parallel, either directly or through a single series 1.9 ohm resistor. Series/parallel appears to be a myth, even though it would make best use of electricity on the low setting.

Cheers,
Andy

PS. Yep, I'm in Dunedin. But as an expat Scot I'm familiar with the losing side at rugby and happy to congratulate Wales on beating England!

Series/parallel: myth

Hi Andy

Hands full at the moment with the sodding washing machine, I'll get back to you soon. Oh, about the other matter- well it's what it's all about, innit?

Back in a while unless I forget to switch the 'letric off.

Anyone got a washboard going cheap?

Remind me to ask you (as a Scot) what poch ma hoane means. I suspect its not polite.

J

And all i ever do is plug the BMW heated grip loom into the take off point, plug the switch in, and it all works, hot and warm ?

I must try and make things harder for myself

:rolleyes:

de POGUES

Shane Mc Gowan's band originally named "The Nipple Erectors" then "The Nips", then "Pogue mo Thoin" & finally "The Pogues" & yes it is rude.

Remind me to ask you (as a Scot) what poch ma hoane means. I suspect its not polite.

My Irish friend says it means Kiss My Azz in Irish....;)

Back
Top Bottom