Black Forest

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's crap - head straight for Lake Constance/Bodensee for a joyous motorcycling experience

When heading south where does the Black Forest start and end?

At the first tree you run into, perhaps?

Google.... 'Where is the black forest?'

Five words; six words shorter than your question to the mighty pool of intellect that is UKGSer.

http://www.black-forest-travel.com/map/

map.gif

There you go - http://www.black-forest-travel.com/map/

Also worth knowing is that on Sunday's motorcyclists are now banned from some of the more "interesting" roads.
Sorry but I don't have a list of the roads, although I'm told the B500 is one of them.

Good job I'm heading south on the B500 a fortnight on Tuesday then :p

I guess the German version of the BMF/MAG didn't get far with their mass protest rides then.

There used to be some of these roads in the Sauerland when I was working in Germany in 1999. I once mistook the "no motorcycles" sign for a "compulsory for motorcycles sign" ;) and the locals weren't happy The first car I came up behind slowed right down and was shaking his fist at me as I overtook, then an old dear gave me a b*llocking when I stopped at the other end of the extremely twisty road :p "Ich bin ein Englander, ich verstehe nicht" gets you out of all kinds of trouble in Germany, including being stopped for 117kph in a 50kph zone (on an empty country road late at night) :D

Good job I'm heading south on the B500 a fortnight on Tuesday then :p

I guess the German version of the BMF/MAG didn't get far with their mass protest rides then.

There used to be some of these roads in the Sauerland when I was working in Germany in 1999. I once mistook the "no motorcycles" sign for a "compulsory for motorcycles sign" ;) and the locals weren't happy The first car I came up behind slowed right down and was shaking his fist at me as I overtook, then an old dear gave me a b*llocking when I stopped at the other end of the extremely twisty road :p "Ich bin ein Englander, ich verstehe nicht" gets you out of all kinds of trouble in Germany, including being stopped for 117kph in a 50kph zone (on an empty country road late at night) :D

im over there on the 19th. might catch up with you???

We're in Baden Baden on the 15th and then heading down to Brienz for three nights. We'll be in Bellagio, Lake Como on the 19th ��

We're in baden Baden 19th 20th heading to Austria 21st ��

So I beleve, the B500 being one.......

Just done the B500 on our way through Germany, fantastic road, if you get the chance ride the Grossglocken pass but it will cost you 25 euro for the pleasure

That's where I'm heading to. Is I right in thinking that some routes through the Black Forest are closed to bikes on the Sunday?

I rode the B500 on a Sunday two weeks ago, I saw plenty of bikes and no signs saying it was closed. Maybe it only happens in the summer?

The road closures to motorbikes and / or other vehicles on certain times / days of the week / events in the calendar vary. They occure in parts of Germany, France, Spain and Italy. For all I know they happen in Sweden and Croatia, too.

The best thing to do?

Go. Assume that all the roads will be open. Then - and only then - do something else if you just happen to find that they are shut.

Go. Assume that all the roads will be open. Then - and only then - do something else if you just happen to find that they are shut.

What ? No contingency plan, no alternative routes loaded in the GPS ? Just, like, leave it to chance :eek:

Can't see that catching on around here :augie

That's where I'm heading to. Is I right in thinking that some routes through the Black Forest are closed to bikes on the Sunday?

So I beleve, the B500 being one.......

Utter Bollox.

The B500 is not closed to bikes, neither has it been according to someone I know who lives about a mile from it.

The B500 itself runs the length of the Black Forest, when bikers refer to the B500 they normally mean the Schwarzwald Hochstrasse which starts just south of Baden Baden and runs for about 25 Miles, generally getting faster as it goes.

In recent years many of the speed limits have been lowered, often from 100kph (barely enough to enjoy large sections of the road) to 70kph (very dull) in a response to folk riding at 170mph and posting themselves on Youtube, not sure why they think people riding at well over double the old limit will obey the new one, but this is what idiots in government do - ruin things for the law abiding whilst doing nothing about the real criminals.

The plod are in force at weekends in the summer, especially if there has recently been a big accident, or spate of crashes.

My advice would be go in the week, or if visiting at a weekend ride up and down this section first thing (I tend to ride it before brekky these days) then bugger off and ride the other good roads in the area which are fairly traffic free.

Utter Bollox.

The B500 is not closed to bikes, neither has it been according to someone I know who lives about a mile from it.

The B500 itself runs the length of the Black Forest, when bikers refer to the B500 they normally mean the Schwarzwald Hochstrasse which starts just south of Baden Baden and runs for about 25 Miles, generally getting faster as it goes.

In recent years many of the speed limits have been lowered, often from 100kph (barely enough to enjoy large sections of the road) to 70kph (very dull) in a response to folk riding at 170mph and posting themselves on Youtube, not sure why they think people riding at well over double the old limit will obey the new one, but this is what idiots in government do - ruin things for the law abiding whilst doing nothing about the real criminals.

The plod are in force at weekends in the summer, especially if there has recently been a big accident, or spate of crashes.

My advice would be go in the week, or if visiting at a weekend ride up and down this section first thing (I tend to ride it before brekky these days) then bugger off and ride the other good roads in the area which are fairly traffic free.

Cheers rasher, I did wonder about roads getting closed thinking it was April the 1st , we're 2 nights in baden then one or two oh the return leg.....

Looking forwRd to it

Utter Bollox.

The B500 is not closed to bikes, neither has it been according to someone I know who lives about a mile from it...............

I was speaking with a couple of German bikers in the area a couple of weeks ago and was told the B500 and a couple of other roads were closed to motorcycles on Sundays.

I don't know the accuracy of what they were telling me as I didn't try and ride the road to check.

I've never seen it closed, but what I have seen is barriers and traffic lights on some of the bends in the summer months that are known for accidents, prevents bods over-cooking it.

I had a week there last sept and 2 of the bods in the group got done and fined, one was a dodgy overtake and the other was 3mph over the limit ! I rode it early one morning 4am going home in thick fog geez it was scary, I waited till a vehicle past and followed its taillights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom