MY 15 GS v S1000XR

roundincircles

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I had a 2 hour ride today. I currently own MY 15 GS and MY 15 MTS DVT.

This is a ballistic sports bike with the all day comfort of a GS.....THAT'S THE ONLY COMPARISON WORTH MAKING WITH A GS IMOP. The GS IS WHAT IT IS....an easy riding all round competent ride with a punchy engine and brilliant handling in the Mountains.

The engine is perfectly mapped/fuelled with immense smooooooooth 4 cylinder torque across a wide rev band. In 6th you can pull from 20mph, about 1300 rpm, to V-Max without any hesitation. Just smoooooth power delivery. At about 6000 rpm this thing takes off like it's been shot out of a cannon, below 6000rpm it gathers pace in a civilised manner with a growing and predictable surge. I was getting 40 mpg in mixed, using the revs, riding. I'm sure high 40's low 50's are possible riding the bike on it's torque.

The gearbox quickshifter is so good that I would say it's nearly a must have if you like a bit of fun........so quick and slick. Manually the box is fine although there was some reluctance changing down but this bike had 350 miles on the clock. Clutch lever span is a stretch ( I take an XL glove) and needs a hefty tug.

Ergo is fine with just a hint of forward lean for my long back 6' 2" height. I could flat foot my 31" inseam legs. The screen is OK with some wind noise but good for stock screen.

Steering is very precise and predictable yielding a near sports bike agility albeit from a tall seat position......good feedback from the rubber and confidence inspiring.

The brakes, front and back, are amongst the best. The front is immensely strong and easy to modulate......BMW just seem to be ahead of others with brake set up. By example my Ducati has the best Brembo callipers but the set up is average compared to BMW. Truly great brakes.

The standard exhaust is a hoot and makes a great sound and the Agragoni option must be terrifyingly loud.

Downsides. There is inline 4 vibes at 5000 rpm (70mph in top) for 500 revs. Curiously the mirrors were fine and always provided a detailed view. I managed the vibes by either cruising at 77 mph or just riding through it.......I do think the bike would be better without the vibes but it's not a big issue for me but will be for some, the trade off of riding a brilliantly fuelled engine is more than worth it but that's me!

Suspension gives good wheel control but both the front and more-so the rear shock kicked into overbanding and road surface imperfection and jarred my lower spine but I am used to Ducati's brilliant take on Skyhook magic carpet ride. It's almost like the rebound needs adjustment but I guess.

So, for me, this is a bonkers road bike for Sunday fun and Mountain touring. A brilliantly fuelled engine connected to a perfectly integrated quick shifter and brakes.

This bike does fill a new niche for BMW and makes good business sense. For the punter who wants a fast long distance all day comfy steed it makes sense too. Plus those Sunday fun runs will be a BLAST as well.

Other than on the HP4, the clutch lever on all the 1000R derivative bikes is non-adjustable for span as standard. It is a stretch if you have smallish hands.

The front brake lever is adjustable for span.

Your remarks about the smaller low rpm punch, waking up at 6k rpms and resonance vibrations agree with my experience on other large inline-4 bikes. Some things you just can't fix about that engine layout, which is why I like twins and triples these days. Riding around with the engine wailing and vibrating as you roll back and forth from 5k to 9k rpms all day gets pretty old after the first hour or two.

Would be interested to read how the XR compares to your new Multi as well, if you posted that elsewhere feel free to reply with a link instead :)

Good review. Thanks:thumby: Must get a test ride booked. Big question is will you be chopping in the GS and Ducati for an XR? Is it that good:augie

Your remarks about the smaller low rpm punch, waking up at 6k rpms and resonance vibrations agree with my experience on other large inline-4 bikes. Some things you just can't fix about that engine layout, which is why I like twins and triples these days. Riding around with the engine wailing and vibrating as you roll back and forth from 5k to 9k rpms all day gets pretty old after the first hour or two.

Would be interested to read how the XR compares to your new Multi as well, if you posted that elsewhere feel free to reply with a link instead :)

They are just very different bikes. The MTS has that Ducati dna with sharp handling and capability when 2up........the sky hook suspension gives a very comfortable and controlled ride. The XR is an all day comfy tall Sports bike that is versatile and bonkers. Both bikes are good with the Duke at a premium price.

Good review. Thanks:thumby: Must get a test ride booked. Big question is will you be chopping in the GS and Ducati for an XR? Is it that good:augie

Will not sell anything until I stop using one or two because I naturally default to my fave bike. However I do some remote long distance trips and somehow the GS seems right.....South Amerca, New Zealand in last 12 months.....so that and one other may be keepers.

One of the first things I changed on my S1000R was the levers. The Gilles ones are fantastic, and are fully adjustable.

Having ridden the new Ducati Multi and enjoyed it a lot I was looking forward to a test ride on a S1000XR this weekend but my local dealer sold their demo bike on weds the day after it arrived :rolleyes: they are selling like hot cakes.

Are we asking too much from one bike, we do long trips on bikes like a GS or a Multistrada, but the tragedy is very few people do such trips on the bike they really love, trading in every 2yrs trying to find the perfect bike spending 4-5k just to change..plus a lot more when you've farkled it and bought new luggage because your old stuff doesnt fit:blast another option, keep the mile muncher and buy something that truly stirs the passion...like this:D my new 1299

Attachments

• mculpnptlma32rge0ufo.jpg
    mculpnptlma32rge0ufo.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,744
I almost got an S100XR for free today as someone had left the keys in the demo outside Allan Jefferies - I took them out and handed them to Richard the sales guy before temptation got the better of me....

I rode the XR last week back-to-back with the new RS. I posted this elsewhere, but was unimpressed by the XR. (my GS was reference is a MY15)

"And it seemed rude to not accept the offer to ride the XR (Sport SE) as I returned with the RS. The gearbox is even better! Mind you, it has far less torque to manage, but it is butter and rifle smooth, emitting nice pops and crackles on the way back down with GSA-Pro. The IL4 lifted from the S1000R has the same frantic rush, but the whole bike feels slightly more settled. You have to thrash this bike. It asks to be caned. You Rev to 8k, then reminds you that you still have another 50% to go. But is this how you want to ride an upright short wheelbase road bike? It lacks the twin thrust at the bottom end, so it never quite 'hits' you like even the GS does, despite a 25hp deficit. The XR does not offer GS ergos: the bars feel unnatural, the seat hugs you firmly, and you feel like the one is on tiptoes the whole time. It has power (not grunt), but it is a fast bike. You are conscious of a tall front end with a small front wheel. The bike is very vibey with super high pitched buzz through the bars at most speeds. It's better finished than the show bikes for sure, but I think this is a bike trying to please many. The wide tank because of the IL4 with the cramped seat is not that comfy, although it positions you well for hard sports riding. Quite an exciting bike, especially if you only have 1 bike. Shame it lacks the tree stump pulling torque you might hope for."

I've only sat on one (while waiting for the GS to be serviced) and was instantly put off just from the ergonomics at a standstill. The seat allowed me no room to move around, and the bars just felt unnatural. Maybe I'm spoiled by the GS with risers. The salesman acknowledged that it would not dent sales of the GS or the S1000RR. Each to their own...

I've only sat on one (while waiting for the GS to be serviced) and was instantly put off just from the ergonomics at a standstill. The seat allowed me no room to move around, and the bars just felt unnatural. Maybe I'm spoiled by the GS with risers. The salesman acknowledged that it would not dent sales of the GS or the S1000RR. Each to their own...

Agreed. There is no space in the seat, and it doesn't offer any comfort for longer days. It definitely does not offer any of the GS benefits imho. The ride quality of the GS is lacking too.

Back
Top Bottom