Passing through on Monday

Bryn

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Heading up to Windermere for a 3 night stay on Monday:)

Thinking of heading up the A1 then cutting across the dales... Very roughly can anyone suggest a rewarding route from personal experience ?:thumb

Edit: the A684 looks like it would be a good route to take...:)

Depends on whether you want to make progress or not, but I would head along the main road from Masham past Jervaulx and into the A684 to Hawes. A slightly twister and more interesting road runs parallel to the north through Newbiggin and Askrigg but both will get you to Hawes where you can head North over the famous Buttertubs Pass and through the west end of Swaledale. The view towards the Lakes on a good day is breathtaking just before you get to Nateby. Then take the A685 to Tebay then stay on it, onwards to Kendal and you know the rest. It's certainly a route that should keep you interested...;)

Depends on whether you want to make progress or not, but I would head along the main road from Masham past Jervaulx and into the A684 to Hawes. A slightly twister and more interesting road runs parallel to the north through Newbiggin and Askrigg but both will get you to Hawes where you can head North over the famous Buttertubs Pass and through the west end of Swaledale. The view towards the Lakes on a good day is breathtaking just before you get to Nateby. Then take the A685 to Tebay then stay on it, onwards to Kendal and you know the rest. It's certainly a route that should keep you interested...;)

Thanks Paul.. That's me sorted :thumb2

get off the A1 at Knaresboro then head out through Pately bridge, kettlwell over gale rig into hawes then down past ribblehead and on towards your destination
Cant remember the road numbers
Johny boxer will be along in a minute or 2

1 mile from Junction 36 A1(M) A630 in towards Doncaster, kettle always on :thumb

:beerjug:

Thinking of heading up the A1 then cutting across the dales... Very roughly can anyone suggest a rewarding route from personal experience ?:thumb

I'll let you know next week :) I am up there this weekend.

get off the A1 at Knaresboro then head out through Pately bridge, kettlwell over gale rig into hawes then down past ribblehead and on towards your destination
Cant remember the road numbers
Johny boxer will be along in a minute or 2

Nah .... stay on the A1, come off junction 50 I think it is, head for Masham, great tea/lunch halt, several cafe's in the market square, keep on the A6108 as per Paul Young above. A684 nice road but can be busy with caravans and lorries.

From Leyburn head over Redmires for Reeth, as above, or even head over Arkengarthdale for Tan Hill and go in to the Lakes from that direction :thumb

Stay on the A1, come off junction 50 I think it is, head for Masham, great tea/lunch halt, several cafe's in the market square, keep on the A6108 as per Paul Young above. A684 nice road but can be busy with caravans and lorries.

From Leyburn head over Redmires for Reeth, as above, or even head over Arkengarthdale for Tan Hill and go in to the Lakes from that direction :thumb

I just like to get off the A1 sooner but yep thats a good route but how about a bit of both ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-25 at 22.47.57.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-06-25 at 22.47.57.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 208
I just like to get off the A1 sooner but yep thats a good route but how about a bit of both ?

Yeah ... But Ripon, Pately Bridge :blast

Trip up via Kettlewell a nice run but full of mini busses and geriatric caravaners :blast

Just for an extra twenty minutes on the A1 you get more bang for your bucks with quiet twisty roads and great countryside, cuppa tea'n pie stops :D

Will you be wanting to stop off for a ploughmans on the way ?

Back
Top Bottom