Technical question on Honda ignition coils.

shedracer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a question for anybody who has knowledge in these electrical gubbins. I have a 1988 Honda Trials bike, that I'm rebuilding, to cut a long story short, the coil is knackered. I'd like to replace the coil with something as close looking to the original, so it can be mounted using the original mount. The original part has been discontinued, so I have to get an alternative.

Question is, as my bike is a single cylinder four stroke 250 from the eighties, can I buy another part that was fitted to a similar model, like an XR250, or is it not that simple. The one I have found, looks almost identical to the original in size.

Or is it more complicated than that. To me electrical stuff is witchcraft, I have little knowledge and generally, i'm pretty scared of the stuff :eek: :crossbone

Assuming that it is a xl250 rf or similar, I know at one time I owned a 1982 xl 250rc and a 1982 xl125rc and the coils were the same.
Wemoto and a few others list a pattern coil, but if you can wait a weeek or so till I am home I will photograph the coil on my 1992 xr250 to see if it is the same.
There is every chance that the xl and xr coils are interchangeable if not the same part

Neil thanks for your reply. I've decided to go for a 1983 Honda XR250 coil. Looks virtually identical and in stock. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom