Recalculating downloaded routes or trips takes SOOO long

dmilne

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I just imported 9 routes - or "trips" as they are now called

They have to be "saved to the Trip Planner" This takes ages, and after about 1 1/2 mins the Nav 5 goes off to sleep, so the process stops unless you keep an eye on it and touch the screen every so often.

Is there anyway to stop the thing going to sleep?

And I now find that how ever many times I import routes/trips from the Trip Planner App and subsequently delete the imported trips, they are STILL available to import again.

Anyone any idea how I can permanently delete them from where ever they are hidden please?

I can see that eventually the thing will be full of importable trips and have no room for useful stuff like the latest maps or even a route I have made..

Thanks

Dave

You can alter the sleep delay in Settings...

Spanner

Display

Display Timeout

Routes deleted on the device are retained for possible re-import. Why? In case you delete one by accident, leaving you lost.

Connect the device to your computer and delete the routes at leisure.

Can anyone explain just why the Nav V takes so long to import a route? All the 300 series I see import the same routes in much less time. This seems to apply even if the device has exactly the same map version as was used to calculate the route.

John

Wonderful, thank you.

Now the display will stay on forever.

Previously the screen had gone blank so I assumed it had switched itself off, some weeks later I tried to switch it on and was puzzled to find the battery had gone flat. Not surprising as I had failed to switch it off properly.

Now i just have for find where those routes are.

Thanks again

Dave

you find them in "Apps" because the smart phone generation needs apps, somehow we struggled along for years just having routes.

John

No we didn't they were in 'My data' or summat like that. Nothing has really changed.

As to why the import is slower? Who knows. 'off route' recalculation is faster, the screen is better, the interface with the whirly wheel top class. Stay with earlier models if truly unhappy.

Flip routes between devices, it's very good.

If you are in mass storage mode you can do 'file' 'save as' in Mapsource . Then save your routes as a GPX file on the sd disk in a GPX folder. Then you can import routes one at a time using IMPORT within trip planner. It's much quicker and perfect for a long trip. Plus you effectively have a back up of your routes on this GPX folder. Make sure map versions are same on gps and PC.
Also, after a complete back up, I delete unnecessary files on the nav v. See Zumo Forums for more advice on this.

No we didn't they were in 'My data' or summat like that. Nothing has really changed.

As to why the import is slower? Who knows. 'off route' recalculation is faster, the screen is better, the interface with the whirly wheel top class. Stay with earlier models if truly unhappy.

Flip routes between devices, it's very good.

A Nav V and all the later models come up with a "would you like to import" message automatically when a route is downloaded. Earlier models put it in "my data", earlier still they just put it into routes-such is progress! It then puts the route in the "apps" - "trip planner" My question was not about a comparison with older models but with other new models. Why should this expensive piece of kit take so much longer than much lower priced devices? In a similar comparison I don't think the other newer Garmins are slower in such areas a speed of recalculation etc.

Now I have seen and handled literately hundreds of Nav Vs I have to say I am underwhelmed. Lots of add ons, it all but makes tea for you, but you know what they say about Jack of all Trades! I bought a 390 about a month ago after the sad demise of my 2610. It does all I need. more in fact since I do not want to be able to use my phone whilst I am on the bike.

John

Back
Top Bottom