Portugal

grez

Reaction score
Booked the first 2 weeks of September off work with no plans except a rough idea to visit Portugal as it is too late to organise visas for St Petersburg. Ferry costs are stupid so idea is Eurotunnel, ride down the coast of France and into Portugal then meander around a bit and ride home. This is typical of my plans (previous aim of Bulgaria saw me broken down at the tip of Albania - typical of my sence of direction).

Can do 600 mile days to get through France if needed but prefer to limit it to 250/300 a day. Basic idea was ride mountains with a few side trips to the coast and interesting towns.

Any suggestions of places to visit or good roads would be most welcome?

Brittany ferries are doing an economy cruise to Bilbao using the former DFDS Harwich - Esbjerg ferry. Might be worth considering if you take into account petrol and accom costs on the trip south through France?

I actually enjoy the ride through France from Calais, will being going to Portugal myself in Sept. leaving on the 12th.

As I'm now retired I have plenty of time, have accommodation booked for two weeks near Albufeira, so camping all the way down will take as long as it takes.. (oh, the wife's flying down..).

I anticipate being away for at least a month... :D

Scotboxer, thought of that. Ferry is around £ 600 (due to cabin costs for 1 person) and the tunnell around £ 91 with fuel to Bilbao around £ 170 at French prices. Distance in the UK from home about the same. Therefore I have £ 200 to spend on 2 nights accommodation in France and food. Budget hotel is only around £ 30 and food at, say £ 20 still leaves me £ 240 in pocket (beer money). Add to the fact the ferry does not leave on dates I want to make the most of the trip, and I get sea sick, so the ride down France wins.

Now just need to "plan" the trip as opposed to usual pack last thing at night, ride, worry about stuff later.

£600!

Cost £393 on the economie cruise with Deluxe cabin, as that was all that was left with two weeks to sail. That's your £207 saved.

BTW that includes the cost of two passengers and two motorbikes. So cheaper than this for one, cabin price fixed at £100+

Oops, just a
thought....maybe you are quoting return prices?

£393 is ONE way for 2 people, 2 motorbikes and Deluxe cabin. All meals on board have to be bought. No deals like DFDS.

Meals pricey and not really that good.

We have a Facebook group called BMW Motorrad fans you can check there many routes and places in Portugal.

Let the train take the strain, overnight motor rail from Paris to Bordeaux for the bike whilst you take the TGV to Bordeaux and overnight in a cheap hotel then pick up the bike the next morning.

Train down, ride home.

http://autotrain.uk.voyages-sncf.com/en/

Avila in Spain is a lovely walled town and I can recommend the Puerta de la Santa hotel beside the medieval walls which has an underground garage the owner will let you park in.

Evora in Portugal is a very nice old town as well.

Have look here at a trip I did in 2012, may give you some ideas.

http://phils-photos.boards.net/thread/11/france-spain-portugal-2012

Phil.

This is a cracking spot

socalcos_.JPG

Sistelo - Arcos de Valdevez

https://www.google.pt/maps/place/49...4m2!3m1!1s0xd2573a1d5bdad6b:0x289352f6ed277c2

with a cracking road :D N202 and N304

385896_311078148912600_938923239_n.jpeg

Think I will skip the train, Paris to Bordeaux is only around 400 miles. Just over half a days riding and a hell of a lot cheaper to ride. Train for just the bike is £ 90 one way I reckon fuel will only be £ 50 one way.

La Alberca, must visit place!! Said before on here, great roads up to it. Well worth a visit, you will never regret. Spain and Portugal are great for biking trip, so many people miss the "real Spain & Portugal"

What folk fail to factor in when riding as opposed to shoving their bike on a train for 400 miles are the % of service wear...% of tyre wear (plus tolls on the continent) and also the fatigue factor of slogging down an autoroute if time is a factor.

Wife and I are on the Pompey to Bilbao boat on Wed 9th Sept, then heading down to Lisbon, we'll look out for you

Back
Top Bottom