Where was I today?

Bin Ridin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Pictures of place of interest in Ireland, anyone know it? All three pictures are at same location....

Attachments

• image_00027a.jpg
    image_00027a.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 295
Well Done from the Demi-Irishman!

I had stayed overnight in Clifden on Friday, and had a quick look at the landing site beofre going up to Leenaun, Westport, Achill and then home. The weather was glorious and I am going somewhere today, just have to decide where and with who!

Attachments

• alcockandbrown.jpg
    alcockandbrown.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 263
Plaque at monument.
Some buckos!

Attachments

• alcockandbrown 2.jpg
    alcockandbrown 2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 253
New question - the attached picture was taken by the road between Maam Cross and Recess. Does anyone know what used to be on it before some scum took the plaques?

Attachments

• image_00026a.jpg
    image_00026a.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 256
I vaguely remember seeing that monument years ago in the good old days when there used to be seatrout in that lough (before the salmon farms ethnically cleansed that species, but that's a whole new rant :D )

Could have been in memory of Richard Martin (Humanity Dick) who was a C19 philanthropist and all-round good guy. Didn't he found the RSPCA or something similar? Might also be for the owner of Ballynahinch Castle, H.R.H. the Maharajah Ranjitsinji ,who lorded it in grand style in the 1920s and was well-thought of by local punters not least because he single-handedly employed most of the surrounding area, when not captaining the England cricket team or shooting tigers in his homeland.

I saw a book about Ranjit in the shop in Clifden, first I had heard of it. Great part of the world to mooch around in. I'll be back!

Ranji was quite a character by all accounts, loved to entertain in the grand style. He used to hire a train in Galway and transport his entire retinue to Ballynahinch Castle where he fished, shot and entertained the great and good. Was a useful cricketer, averaged about 50 with the bat for England around the turn of the century. Here's a picture of him (4th left) with WG Grace at the Castle in 1910

Attachments

• 051394.jpg
    051394.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 204
Marconi commemoration Derrygimlagh Oct 17th 07

Dublin gathering marks Marconi link with Ireland
Mark Rodden

The Irish links of one of the world's best-known inventors were celebrated last night at the Italian Cultural Institute in Dublin.

Guglielmo Marconi invented wireless communications and won the Nobel Prize for physics in 1909. Yesterday his daughter, Princess Elettra Marconi, who was only seven when her father died in 1937, paid tribute to him and highlighted the importance of his Irish connections.

The gathering was shown a 20-minute documentary by Dr Concetto La Malfa entitled Marconi's Legacy in Ireland , which celebrated Marconi's career and his links with Ireland.

The mother of the Italian inventor was Annie Jameson of the distillery family. She grew up in Montrose House on the grounds of RTÉ. His first wife was Beatrice O'Brien, the daughter of Lord Inchiquin of Dromoland Castle, Co Clare.

The Marconi Company he set up established a wireless station at Derrygimla, near Clifden, Co Galway. It opened on October 17th, 1907, and Princess Marconi will return to Ireland later this year to commemorate the centenary of its opening.

"I love Ireland and I know Ireland was very important to my father," she said. "I'm very grateful because Annie Jameson was the only one who believed in my father when he was very young."

Marconi's grandson, Guglielmo, also emphasised his Irish links and said that his grandfather's name translated as William in English and he had been named after Annie Jameson's grandfather. He said Marconi had always wanted his inventions to be used for the benefit of humanity.

The plaque that was . .

. . my researcher advises that it said "In 1876, nothing happened here"

Most likely the monument has something to do with the famine? You'd see a few plain looking ones like that in the middle of nowhere on the sites of soup kitchens.

Back
Top Bottom