new Ducati project

AndyB_11

Still waiting
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well I've not picked it up yet so no photos but I've paid for a Ducati 350 Desmo that's basically in need of a ground up rebuild :blast

It does seem that everything is there and nothing is badly fucked but the engine is in the frame and the guts of the engine are on a bench waiting to be assembled in the cases. Apart from that small job it needs everything from the frame upwards stripping and painting, a new wiring harness (supplied) connecting up, the wheels relacing and then some fuel throwing in it and it's good to go :thumb

I've wanted a Desmo single for ages and I'd sooner buy one that's already stripped so I can inspect all the parts rather than get the bike home and strip it to find a World of horrors. What I need to do first is fit a new reg/rec on my current Italian money pit (Laverda Montjuic) then it can go out of the workshop and into the garage so it can be looked at in awe and started when small children need frightening.

Wait until a start asking for recommendations for vapour blasting, powder coating, crank rebuilders and all sorts of other crap.

I'm just glad I've got a complete new wiring harness and it looks very basic (6v single = basic) because wiring bikes does my head in completely.

Looking fwd to this one , everyone loves a desmo. Good examples for inspiration at the autumn Stafford show.

Steve

I have to avoid the Stafford show because letting me loose in there is like putting a kid in a sweet shop.

The old 250/350/450 Desmos were bikes I wanted back when they were in production and I never had one so I'm seriously pleased to have this one to be working on. The biggest problem I have with older bikes is that if I've got a bit of disposable I buy bikes that I wanted when I was decades younger and I get them back on the road then can't force myself to sell them so we're ending up with a '70s throwback museum at home. They're a good investment though........

Once I get it home I'll put a couple of photos up so you can all take the piss :)

I've got something similar. A 1973 250 mk 111 in Desmo trim.
bf228038e9b40a20dc9c2517e5d47959.jpg

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

I've got something similar. A 1973 250 mk 111 in Desmo trim.
bf228038e9b40a20dc9c2517e5d47959.jpg

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

THAT is a beauty.....and just up the road from me. Looks just like a Desmo (to my VERY untrained eye).....:)

Never knew anyone from Guisborough would have such good taste !!!.....:D

That's a lovely looking bike and I'll be more than happy if mine ends up looking the same :thumb2

Who did the paintwork for you? I've got enough left in a can of the original paint (with Ducati part number) to spray mine but I'll not be doing it myself and I'd sooner send it to someone who's done the job before.

That's a lovely looking bike and I'll be more than happy if mine ends up looking the same :thumb2

Who did the paintwork for you? I've got enough left in a can of the original paint (with Ducati part number) to spray mine but I'll not be doing it myself and I'd sooner send it to someone who's done the job before.

Drop me a pm if you'd like me to take a look at it mate!

Cheers. Originally bought in in the 90s from Saltburn. Mk III cycle parts were poor, so I got the Desmo parts from the late Mick Walker. I got it painted by a shop in Pity Me, Co. Durham. I think it is more yellow than the original, which was more 'orange'.
I sold it and then bought it back a few years later-shortly afterwards the big end went at full speed. Fortunately the head was untouched. I got the big end rebuilt by Alpha bearings who have some experience with these bikes. Had to get a new barrel and forged piston. Parts can be pricey.
The motor has been rebuilt for a while, but the electronic ignition pick up broke. I bought a replacement some time ago, but haven't got it up and running yet.
They are fantastic bikes-feels like a racer on the road. Handling is great and the sound is glorious-you can get a taste here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZj-c0sw9GE
The 350 Desmo widecase is probably the most desirable. You were lucky to find one. I hope you have deep pockets.:D

Drop me a pm if you'd like me to take a look at it mate!

Will do. I've got quite a few things need doing including wheels from a Laverda Montjuic, the frame & swinging arm from the Ducati as well as all the normal painted parts on the Ducati/

Aqua blasting

Ray (exsmokingbiker) on the GUZZI riders forum does one of the best jobs that I've come across. The finish it leaves is satin and sealed, because the agent is very soft unlike a normal blasted finish.

He has a huge cabinet which I reckon is big enough for bike frames if it were needed. Not particularly expensive either.

His number is 07940 771298nd he is based in Whetstone , Leicester LE86LH

a link to some of his work

Good luck with the project

:aidan

Ray (exsmokingbiker) on the GUZZI riders forum does one of the best jobs that I've come across. The finish it leaves is satin and sealed, because the agent is very soft unlike a normal blasted finish.

He has a huge cabinet which I reckon is big enough for bike frames if it were needed. Not particularly expensive either.

His number is 07940 771298nd he is based in Whetstone , Leicester LE86LH

a link to some of his work

Good luck with the project

:aidan

Leicester is good for me. Thanks for the pointer.

I knew I’d started a thread on this so decided to drag it kicking and screaming into the present day.

Well the bottom line is that I’ve done fuck all with the bike apart from decide I simply don’t have time to do the bike so it’s at Mikeyboys workshop where it gets treated with a mixture of love and contempt according to what he finds wrong next.

It’s actually progressing and the bottom end of the engine has been rebuilt with a lot of new parts, the top end is a bit of a long winded saga because when I bought the bike it came with a conventional cylinder head rather than a Desmo one and it turns out that it needs work so it’s going to Lacey’s to be sorted early in the new year.

I dropped off a few more parts earlier today and the plan is to give it a dry build when all is quiet at the workshop then scream and curse, buy more parts and get it on the road :D

It’ll be a belter when it’s finished and I suspect it’s destined for the living room for at least a week when it finally comes home.

Crikey.....I clicked on this thread thinking 'this looks familier'.....'familier' meaning a few months ago.

Mid/Late 2015 !!!!!!!!!!......Think about what has happened in all of our lives since then.

I'm still in......:thumb2

We were laughing about the amount of time it’s been sitting at Mikeyboys place when I was there earlier but I’m not worried and it would still be a box of bits at my place if he wasn’t doing it.

His BMW project is looking really good so that’s going to be worth seeing when it’s finished :thumb2

It'd make a nice classic racer...

I know that and I’m going to do my best to avoid the temptation to get a weekend licence to race it in one of the Belgian road races. It might get an outing at Spa for the Bikers Classic but that’s only because I owe it to myself to have a bimble round without it being in the slightest bit competitive :blast

Back
Top Bottom