Time for some TLC

Farmboy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I wasn't even in the market for another project but after seeing this pop up less than 20 miles from home I just had to go and check it out.

As soon as I kicked it over and heard that glorious sound I knew I was having it no matter what.

Once I got her home I made a list of things that needed doing and set to work.

First off was the front brake ( or lack of it ), all in all just some cleaning up, regreasing and re setting of the brake plus some new parts and she was ready to go back together.

Next up was the head bearings and front suspension. My wife who saw me ride the bike home the day previous almost had a fit when she walked into the garage to find this.

Well the head bearings were a cinch to fit, the new sealed bearings felt so much better than the notchy old set they replaced.
The front forks were serviceable but to be honest the small rust spots bothered me and affected the overall look of the bike so I decided to replace the forks, bushes, seals and oil.

Again another simple job using the bike stand as my suspension holder

With the front end all complete and back together it was time to sort out the wiring, which was not so simple :eek: It seemed to be coming from everywhere, after many hours though the new headlamp and surround was fitted along with new warning lamps and indicators re fitted.

Finally all that was really left to do was a thorough clean up, an oil change and a complete re learn by me on kicking over a 750 engine with that much compression :D:eek:

Still plenty of little jobs to do over the winter but for now the bike runs and rides like a new one and sounds fekking gorgeous.

Gorgeous mate and love the idea of using a bike stand to hold the forks :beerjug:

Sweet :thumb2 - that looks really nice.

I was at a 'Scottish Classic M/C Club' gathering a week or so ago, it was like a Commando Owners' Club meeting, they really are stunning bikes.

(and my Ariel 'VH' needed a push start . . . Oooops :blast).

Bob.

Never mind the looks, the sound is something else.

Its my latest keeper for sure :rolleyes::D

I love the sound of those pea shooter cans. Not sure about them on the side like that. From the back 3/4 they look fab but from the front seem to stick out.
Presumably I'm conventional minded on such things. Though short pea shooters do look great tucked in tight under the footrests.

All ready for the wife's first trip out tomorrow since her illness.

Fish & chips in Whitby :beerjug:

That's a Beauty wish I could find one of those

yeah its funny how things turn out, I was just minding my own business trawling MCN for a change and there it was just up the road.

It is a real cracker of a bike to look at and listen to for sure

yeah its funny how things turn out, I was just minding my own business trawling MCN for a change and there it was just up the road.

It is a real cracker of a bike to look at and listen to for sure

Think I will have to start looking on mcn never looked on there :rolleyes:

Tim,

She rides much the same as the Triumph we had, loads of torque and you just waft along listening to the glorious sound.

The brakes dont seem as good as the Triumphs IMO and there does seem to be a few more vibes, but all is forgiven once you get moving as the vibes dissapear about 3000 rpm.

handles well enough and runs lovely, in fact its so good its probably about time to sell :rolleyes:

Commandos are great bikes once sorted. There are many improvements that can be made, and you can end up spending a fortune if you are not careful DAMHIK! But it is possible to have a bike that goes, stops, looks great, sounds great, and doesn't let you down. I have had two over the years, and both had those same S high level pipes at some point during my ownership. I sold my last one, a 750, 6 years ago to help fund an extension, otherwise i would still have it now, lovely bike.

Back
Top Bottom