Gold Wing GL1800 - Sorely tempted ...

chopper_harris

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Forgive me father, I am having sinful thoughts ...

For the past few years, my mind regularly wanders toward an older GL1800 Wing.
Yes, I know they are marmite bikes, but I just feel that I need to try one before my body fails me completely.

Late Autumn is probably the best time to pick up an older project bike - ideally tired but with some service history

Does anyone have real world experience of ownership - and no, I don't fancy a K1200LT !

Thanks

Chopps

for some strange reason i've taken a shine to one of these. Its a bit like when you get a stupid song in your head and you wonder where it came from. No idea what I'd do with it if I did buy one.

Honda-F6B.jpg

Ive got a GL1800, it's my fourth wing so I may be a bit biased although I've had many assorted bikes between wing ownership, I guess you need to try one to see if it suits but as a long haul mile muncher it cant be bettered. The only downside is the tank range, I guess it's about 180 miles which is a shame, you could easily do 300 miles between stops.

The engine is a peach, smooth as silk and the most relaxing ride you could imagine, it's very stable up to a ton which is plenty enough in the real world and it can get a shift on in lower gears when pushed. I have other bikes in the garage including an F6C, a Bandit 1200s and a Harley, all good fun in their own way but the wing is in a different league when you want to cover some miles. You really need to get an extended ride on one and get it on some twisties, you'll be surprised how well it can be hustled around when you get some confidence in the front end, the torque produced in 3rd and 4th when you give it a handful is great fun and really useable unlike most of the super fast stuff nowadays.

We did the sancerre wine festival a few months ago 10 bikes gliding through stunning countryside and quiet villages apart from the 2 gold wings that had music systems that played like taunting terrorists in black hawk down. Why Bruce Springsteen has to be playing when in motion is beyond me. Having said that if anybody needed anything it was in a pannier ( from sticky plaster to mobile bbq).

for some strange reason i've taken a shine to one of these. Its a bit like when you get a stupid song in your head and you wonder where it came from. No idea what I'd do with it if I did buy one.

Honda-F6B.jpg

Me n'all.........:thumb2

.....and I dumped BMWs because they were too heavy !!! .......:blast

Forgive me father, I am having sinful thoughts ...

For the past few years, my mind regularly wanders toward an older GL1800 Wing.
Yes, I know they are marmite bikes, but I just feel that I need to try one before my body fails me completely.

Late Autumn is probably the best time to pick up an older project bike - ideally tired but with some service history

Does anyone have real world experience of ownership - and no, I don't fancy a K1200LT !

Thanks

Chopps

I guess you have seen this one, if not, auctions ends very soon so be quick.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1982-HONDA-GL1100-Goldwing-Interstate-/151782367621?hash=item2356ef2185

Honda-F6B.jpg

You are not alone, luckily they are very expensive.

Honda-F6B.jpg

It's the same with fat birds, you don't know until you have tried one - the ride is a little slower, but oh so comfortable :thumby:

I guess you have seen this one, if not, auctions ends very soon so be quick.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1982-HONDA-GL1100-Goldwing-Interstate-/151782367621?hash=item2356ef2185

I seem to have wandered into some odd paralell universe here.....

Following your link (out of mild curiosity like) I found THIS.......

Now I'm not interested enough to look into it any further, but shirley that's not a 'trike', it's just a fucking bike bike WITH STABILISERS! :blast

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

I honestly just do not get it :nenau

Why add a couple of feet to the aleady enormnous arse of a Goldwing?
OK, it won't fall over when you stop, but DURRRRRRR :blast

If you're a wheelchair user, fine, but why on earth would anyone else in the world possible want to add this shit to the back of their bike when all it does it to give it the worst features of a car (slow, can't filter, doesn't lean much) with the worst features of a bike (weather protection)

Fuck me sideways, you're not even getting ANY additional space for luggage on that contraption like you would on various other trike combos :blast

a completely strange thing

I have been doing alot of work on this. The owner has spent 55,000 euro on it ! Mmmmhhhhh he is crazy from what i have found.

Attachments

• 20150821_122147-1.jpg
    20150821_122147-1.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 481
Have to say I also quite fancy a GW, even if only for a summer. The wife fancies a European trip but only on something comfy which rules out my Bonnie. We rented an Electra Glide in the States a few years ago and she loved the armchair - but I'd never buy one. A Wing would seem to be an option but I know nothing about them.

What is the difference between the different models and which is best as a good bike to ride? Is an older 1500 worth a look or should you go for the 1800? I imagine they should last for many years and miles but there must be things to look out for.

I think I would buy one in the spring and sell again late summer (or not if I liked it enough).

It just seems one of those bikes you should try, at least once in your life. But, saying all that, I've never even sat on one so it may not even fit me.

HAD MINE 9 YEARS NOW - GOLDWING KEEPER

Chops and Northern Lad, I cannot recommend the GL1800 enough.
I am about to keep my current 'wing and be in the fortunate position to have been able to place an order for a new GSA LC in March.
I've proddie raced in my youth, rode professionally on all manner of motorcycles while working for the greater good of Merseyside for some 30+ years and then having owned a GL1500 in 2000, eventually bought my current bike, a 2006 GL1800 in silver. Nostalgia makes me hark back fondly to '79 when I had a Z1000A2 with Z1R cast wheels, but the GL1800 is simply the best motorcycle I have ever owned and I've never kept any motorcycle this long.
Why?
Okay, here goes.:blagblah
I have toured the length and breadth of the UK with my good lady, because we enjoy each others company and touring together. We've done the South of France on a GS1000s and a GPZ900R before the kids. Now the kids have flown, we've done Europe several times on the GL1800 in perfect comfort, (no way could we {she} do it on a similar bike as when in our younger days!) with confidence in the reliability, enjoying reasonable economy for such a large machine and being able to carry all we want/need and still have space on most occasions to lock our lids away.
It's presence on the road is second to none ('cept one of my old 'works' bikes perhaps?), it uses average of 44 mpg two up, has a tank range of over 210 miles, is relatively easy to service - ah yes, servicing.... most can be done by home mechanics. Honda UK have us islanders believe that the valves need adjusting at 16000 miles. USA GL1800's are scheduled for 32000 miles. Go figure!! Mine have never been checked at 45000 miles. Most are never checked 'till a lot more than that too. They're that good. It's not smoking, using oil, suffering a loss of power or mpg, nor is it making any tell tale noises. It's sweet. And I'm confident in it.
Pre '06 GL1800 suffered alternator gear issues, cracked subframes. And more probably.
If I were to buy another one today, it would be an '06 and later model which would have a higher alternator power output, heated seats (and backrest for both rider/passenger), heated grips, foot warmers and more. :blagblah
My '06 is the 'comfort' model - no sat nav or air bag.
Sat nav on GL1800's are a PITA. My brother in law AND many other 'wingers, have a 'second' sat nav, like my own Zumo 550, because the Honda unit is so poor, although I believe the latest models may have addressed this issue.
Air bag? Well who wants one of those? Hopefully never me as I ain't got one, but I suppose most never really wanted ABS did they? Or ABS Pro, or riding modes, or traction control, or computer interface, cornering lights, LED headlights etc etc.
Tyre life is approx. 8k rear and over 10k on front. I use Bridgestones, personal preference.
The GL1800 is way behind on tech. - it's a model from 2001 - and pricing from Honda at nearly 26k is ridiculous. I was offered a good deal to part ex mine for a 2015 model, but still needed to stump up between 14 - 17k cash - of course I refused, because there's nowt wrong with mine at 45k miles and all I'd be getting really would be a new paint job, a dubious sat.nav and a safety device (airbag) that may never be used. And guess what, Honda UK have apparently just released info that they're offering new GL1800's in 2016 without Airbag and sat.nav, saving thousands off the current price. In other words, just the same spec as my '06 model!!!
Looking forward to my new GSA but delighted that we're planning yet another trip on the 'wing to Europe again this year. We've (she) have tried all sorts of different bikes before I decided to go for the GSA (which is for ME) but I cannot find anything that comes near to the 'wing for pillion comfort / experience, - nothing comes close and that's why it's a keeper. So the GSA is for me and I'm just the chauffer on the 'wing :) Shoulda seen her face when I showed her the backrest I'd got for the Givi trekker top box!!
Oh and the GL1500? Hydraulic valves never need adjusting apparently, though cam belts are an item that need watching. GL1800 is chain in that respect. Other than that, the 1500 is a great 'wing too, though the handling and braking, not to mention the ppoowweerr, is just sooo much better on the 1800. :blagblah
Like every biker, I like to play with suspension. My weight (two up mostly) and riding ability meant that I changed to Progressive front and back and I rarely touch pegs on most corners. I can do, like we all can, but I choose not to. What I'm saying is that like most bikes, suspension can be altered to suit your riding style. Besides which it is electrically operated for ride height/ compression, but not on a similar basis as the BMW modern tackle. Just a simple button for Up and down.
Saw 125mph for many a mile following an X5 on autobahn last year, two up, fully laden en-route to Garda in Italy. Zumo showed a true 119mph. Not deleted that yet lol .
I know my GL and the GSA are chalk and cheese, but d'ya know what? I'm worried about some of the country lanes I traverse in the UK on my 'wing... you know, the narrow ones with grass down the middle and stone walls/bushes either side. I can do them (all the time) on the 'wing but I've noticed many GSA riders leave their side cases at home when they go into the country side - they're just so much wider aren't they! Oh, and when I got the front wheel stuck in mud up to the discs down one such country track, I got it out alone by chucking stone under my back wheel and using the electric reverse button - has the GSA got one of those? :D
Gladly answer and questions if I can help, even meet up if you're local (Chopps, I'm in Maghull) but simply put, get out there and try one, you'll enjoy the experience I'm sure. :thumb2

HAIRPINS

Not many roads have steeper/tighter hairpins than the Hardknott or Wrynose Pass in the Lake district, Cumbria. Have a look at Google/YouTube and search Hardknott pass Goldwing, I'm sure you'll find a few. Here's one on a GL1500 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmj5Fbw_UFU Check it from 14.45 'cos that's the beginning of the Hardknott with the hairpins.
I've regularly been through there two up as has my brother in law with my sister and I do know the GWOCGB, besides others have runs out there.
Not easy by any means, needs confidence, as in any bike, but manageable.
Went toward Stelvio pass last May, was closed for us unfortunately. But many do that well known route on the big 'wings, no problem.

Back
Top Bottom