Route advise: Post Leenane...

Timolgra

reformed
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Right boys, need a few ideas for Ange and I for the week after Leenane.

Getting the ferry back from Belfast so was really planning on staying north and probably calling in to Achill again but open to ideas which won't involve big distances :rolleyes::D

Roughly this is what we did last year after Leenane in addition to much of Connemara after coming up around C Cork, Kerry, Clare etc. So don't really want to do the same thing although I could go back to Donegal if someone sorts the weather for us.

Capture%20Ireland%20N.jpg

PS: We had perfect weather for two weeks last time so would like that arranging also.
Ta :beerjug:

cross country to enniskillen then over the sperrins to portrush then coast back to belfast

lap of strangford :D

You missed the best bits of the coast road out on last year's map.

Stay on the Coast from Portrush to Larne.

You missed the best bits of the coast road out on last year's map.

Stay on the Coast from Portrush to Larne.

Sorry, it was was a quick mock up of what we did.
Did it last year and several times before, :beerjug:

This map is very rough, I've done all the little lanes around the coast in most places.

Looking to see if there's anywhere real special inland a bit or any festivals. I've checked but can't find much on at that time of year.

Slightly more accurate to give the general idea and yes I've done the Dark Hedges in good light too:aidan

Capture%202.jpg

Look for Corcreggan Mill, its in Dunfanaghy, really nice place to stay. ADVIRL Meet is on the weekend of the 12th in Sligo as well.

You missed out a very good bit at the start of that too; the R335 from Leenane to Louisburgh and on to the N59 at Westport. Anywhere around near Leenane is cracking!

You missed out a very good bit at the start of that too; the R335 from Leenane to Louisburgh and on to the N59 at Westport. Anywhere around near Leenane is cracking!

Did loads in Connemara, including that as we stayed an extra day after the Leenane do last year. :thumb

A lap of Lower Lough Erne, Lough Navar viewpoint, and a stop in Enniskillen is worth including.

Thanks Civil good idea, I did miss that last time as we came down from Fanad Head then through Derry :thumb

Also www.offthebeatentracknw.com is worth a looking at.

I'll have a look thanks :)

EDIT: Just converted one into Mapsource and remembered I've seen this before but didn't use it. Looks good :beerjug:

Sligo%20loop.jpg

Another edit! :rolleyes:

Coverted it them to tracks which I prefer over routes :)
sligo%20track.jpg

lough%20allen.jpg

Several litres of Jim Beam Black await. ;)

Oh dear, it could get messy :D

Belmullet and Ceide Fields ?

The Horseshoe loop behind Ben Bulbin *

over the sperrins
Always a good call

round lough allen R280 :love:
And the R200 from the R280 at Drumkeeran to the N87 near Swanlinbar
There's also a beautiful road from near Ballinamore across the Ox mountains to Dowra *

Romantic Iniseoghain.
Definitely – Inch Island, Dunree fort, North Pole Inn, Mamore Gap, Malin Head (accommodation here), Kinnagoe Bay
Inisheoghan 100 route is well signposted

Also www.offthebeatentracknw.com is worth a looking at.
Some great roads / boreens on both the Northern Glens & Southern Waterways trails
And handy links for accommodation in the area

* Will send you waypoints for both, hopefully this evening

Thanks fellas, it's one thing finding places on a map yourself only to find I would be missing so much.:blast

Even after many trips there over the years, Ireland's one of those special countries where the more you look, the more you find :beerjug:

And if you're doing that route then the Marble Arch caves and Florencecourt House are well worth a look. :thumb2

Good advice, the caves are just a stones throw from Dunluce castle which is a must visit also, belated birthday wishes Tengis99

Back
Top Bottom