Should I buy an XC?

Simian73

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok looking at TEX XC or GS12TE. Triumph are doing £900 extra trade in allowance / £935 worth of parts (heated grips/seat/panniers) and 3 years free servicing. At the moment they are offering 2k more for my trade in due to the allowance. It will have panniers/engine guard/alloy sump/extra lights that you would have to buy for the BMW (if I wanted them). BMW are just TE spec with shift assist and keyless ignition, it is 600 miles old but would be serviced prior to buying, they are 2k less on trade in but we are working on this!. No panniers/sat nav/engine guards/sump (I would at least have the sat nav and panniers). Reckon 800+for panniers and £500 for satnav. They are both 12500 to buy cash but also to add is the servicing over at least 3 years which is free with triumph. From a riding point of view loved them both but the BMW is more refined and more toys, Triumph is sportier (harder suspension, more power) but ultimately older. What to do??

the local dealer in blackburn ..Youles is doing this deal but with LIFETIME servicing for free !!! so if you plan to keep thats worth a few bob

Ignore the finances, and logic for a moment....

If both were on your drive, and you were about to go on a day long ride for fun, which one would you choose ? :beerjug:

RBW.

Triumph give you all those free extras for a reason. I'd also check resale value out.

All valid points, i land in both camps depending on mood! The gs is a more modern bike with smoother edges and the electronics, the triumph is or feels quicker and sharper and the extras and servicing would cost a small fortune to add to the bm with the sat nav and panniers being particularly expensive. The bm revs around 5k at 80 rather than 4k on my 1150 and this feels more vibey compared to the triumph

I found the Triumph high and top heavy (tall engine) , my mate loves his but he is 6' 2" and it suits him.

I owned an 1150 GS for 14 years, loved it, Africa , Asia and all of Europe. Starter gave up in St, Tropez and knocked my confidence. I was sure Id got my best out of the 2000 bike. I wanted the new R1200GSA LC but it was another year before that was due out. So, I decided to test ride the Triumph Tiger Explorer. I Liked it, and bought one. Brand new. Fully loaded with every optional extra. I tried desperately to fall in love with it. But it just wasn't going to happen. Two recalls in six months. Horrible, heavy plastic panniers that never fitted properly, Once i started to use it i knew I had a made a mistake.
One year later I chopped it in for the bike I really wanted. R1200GS LC Adventure TE. There isn't any other adventure bike IMHO

Attachments

• 12096504_10153715829654038_9118213831775033634_n.jpg
    12096504_10153715829654038_9118213831775033634_n.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 487
  • 20140406_132255.jpg
    20140406_132255.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 503
I owned an 1150 GS for 14 years, loved it, Africa , Asia and all of Europe................ There isn't any other adventure bike IMHO

That's a bit nearer the mark:beerjug:

I had a XC for a year and a bit, the engine is incredible, total siege gun of a triple motor. Ancillaries not as good as the GS, but way way more fun and way faster. Build quality not as good and OEM luggage is crap.

The GS makes a better all rounder and tour. If you want balls out speed and ass clenching sunday mornings, go for the Triumph.

Resale values are very good on the XC. I got almost what I paid for mine when I sold it, mainly because I got the satin green one, which everybody wants.

I faced a similar choice when I decided to buy a bike last October and it came down to a choice between the standard Explorer and the GS. I really wanted the TEX, but maybe due in part to my size...or lack of it I just couldn't get on with the extra weight and bulk of the TEX. This is no reflection on Triumph as the TEX only came out in 2012/3? and the GS has been around forever so BMW have had longer to develop the bike into what it is now but the TEX had too many issues for me. Top of the list of issues was it's extra 20kg and top heavy nature, the (by comparison) crap brakes, harsh suspension wind buffeting. I got the feeling things were 'added on' to the TEX where as the GS was the more integrated package. Ultimately the better suspension, brakes, ease of handling and usability at sub silly speeds on the GS won me over. I'm paying for it, but who buys a bike on cost alone?

When the TEX first came out it was the biggest selling bike in the UK over 500cc. The following year the LC came out and took over that crown and still does.

In Ride magazine they did an article on I think it was the new KTM. Summing up at the end the journo said while testing the bike other riders including TEX riders came up to ask him what it was like, but no GS riders did. He said it was because they already knew they were on the best bike. Enough said.....

If you want a more hooligan tool then the S1000RX might be an option?

Triumph have just updated the TEX, due in the dealerships in the spring including replacing the brakes suspension and screen so values of the MY2016 bike currently at the end of its run will be shite and as said looking on Triumph forums the panniers are far from being the best. If you get the GS in either variant try Germany for your panniers and save a tidy wad. At the end of the day it's what's best for you but I don't regret getting the GS. Good luck

I tried the Triumph but is was just a good motorcycle, I could get on very well with it but didn't excite.
My co-pilot loved it.
The GS\GSA has much better balance and the sophisticated front suspension which works well with long suspension travel.

The standard LC GS is slightly faster in both acceleration and top end speed than the Explorer XC, Or at least my Explorer CX, to my disgust ......

When I had my Tex XC, I never found a GS that could get any where near it in terms of real world acceleration, but then that's not what these bikes are about. Or perhaps I'm just getting old....The TEX was addictive and a complete license loser.

Not as comfortable as a GSA though. I found the GSA to be a lot more awkward and top heavy than the TEX in traffic, with a higher seat, but that might just be me and my stumpy legs. I have to commute to London 3 times a week and the GSA does it better than the TEX, just not as quick.

advise I would give you watch Youles as a dealer myself , nephew and a mate all had bad experiances from them along with other people , check out
Bill Smith in Chester first .
I was torn between trading my Triumph Trophy in for either Explorer or GS , youles trade in was an insult , Bill Smith a lot more but Chester BMW matched
the offer and I went for the GS and not regreted it Far better Bike

Back
Top Bottom