Anyone running a CRF250 X or CRF250 XRL?

Losttheplot

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking at getting on of these bikes, and wondered what the general feeling was about them? they seem pretty bullet proof?

Are there any must do modifications to them? or are they good to go straight out of the box?

Nathan

From what I have read, they are great little bikes for green laning and pootling about on...a bit heavy for a true trail bike but well made and available cheap for nearly new. I'd have one if I had space. :beerjug:

Hmmm the crf 250x is the out and out enduro bike, not to be confused with the CRF 250L, which is a totally different beast, based on the cbr 250...

From what I have read, they are great little bikes for green laning and pootling about on...a bit heavy for a true trail bike but well made and available cheap for nearly new. I'd have one if I had space. :beerjug:

As Nathan said, X is the competition bike version

I have had a go on one

From memory it liked to be revved hard & the most/best power was past halfway the rev range

Went ok, suspension and chassis good

Engine has separated oil - one for engine - 0.6l & gearbox about 0.5l & use different or can use similar oils

Valves on later bikes seem fine - air filter maintenance is critical to this & valves need checking often too

Good bikes-I have the same engine in Honda's Trial bike application

I'd have one or a Yam WR-F, but I bought a KTM 400 instead

Hi Nathan,
I had a 250x from new (04) to ride timecard enduros and H&H's, and would still have it if some scrote hadn't stolen it in 2012. :mad:
Bought untried, and after a 450 Husaberg, it was somewhat underwhelming at first, but I soon found that I was quite a lot quicker on it for far longer than on the bigger bike.
After the valves settled in, and the spokes tighten up, it was as reliable as a housebrick! I opened the airbox slightly and re-jetted it, but left the original silencer on to keep it quiet. I fitted a full road kit (which I think they now have as standard) with glass headlight and brake light switches, a bash plate, and some bar risers and had the suspension set up. Flat out was around 67 mph, so as a rally bike it struggled (hence the 640 :D) but in any tight stuff it was outstanding. As a trail bike it is as good as any enduro, ie the seat is hard and road work is tedious, but as soon as you get off tarmac it excels.
As I said, I would still have mine today, and am confident it would still be a useful little bike. When I got the urge for a trail bike again, I gave in to the dark side though, and bought a two stroke.....:green gri
Anything else you want to know, give me a shout.
Cheers
Mark

Mark%20photos%20017-L.jpg

Thanks for the feedback!

Deposit placed this morning on a 2014 250 XRL with 800 miles on the clock. A little bit bent- it's an ex honda off road schools bike, but seeing as i'll be taking it to Portugal for 2 dys rider training with Paul Bolton followed by the the Madron Rally at the beginning of November, it will only look more "used" by the time it gets back to UK soil.:D

Parts don't seem to be that horrendous either.

nathan

Hi Nathan,
I had a 250x from new (04) to ride timecard enduros and H&H's, and would still have it if some scrote hadn't stolen it in 2012. :mad:
Bought untried, and after a 450 Husaberg, it was somewhat underwhelming at first, but I soon found that I was quite a lot quicker on it for far longer than on the bigger bike.
After the valves settled in, and the spokes tighten up, it was as reliable as a housebrick! I opened the airbox slightly and re-jetted it, but left the original silencer on to keep it quiet. I fitted a full road kit (which I think they now have as standard) with glass headlight and brake light switches, a bash plate, and some bar risers and had the suspension set up. Flat out was around 67 mph, so as a rally bike it struggled (hence the 640 :D) but in any tight stuff it was outstanding. As a trail bike it is as good as any enduro, ie the seat is hard and road work is tedious, but as soon as you get off tarmac it excels.
As I said, I would still have mine today, and am confident it would still be a useful little bike. When I got the urge for a trail bike again, I gave in to the dark side though, and bought a two stroke.....:green gri
Anything else you want to know, give me a shout.
Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark!

Had my first ride out on the new bike yesterday, and it actually goes very well once wound up :D, and looking forward to improving my riding on it.

Just a thought, i don't suppose you still have the owners manual from your crf do you?

Nathan

Back
Top Bottom