Advice on "Bushes"

Gilson

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I bought a DR350 a few weeks ago and it just failed the MOT. I knew I'd have to spend some money on it and the main fault is excess wear in the suspension bushes.

Now my Clymer manual mentions rear suspension bushes in the introduction to the suspension chapter but then fails to mention the term bushes again. It mentions needle bearings and other bearings but no mention of bushes.

Is there another name for them that the manual fails to mention?

Are they easy to replace?

Thanks!

Oh.... wrong bushes you wont need this then.:(

bushes-_tnm.color-jpeg.gif

Off road advise on "bushes":

Best to go round them, but if all else fails - lots of throttle, eyes down and just go for it :D

Possibly useful advice :D

If your swinging arm has excess play in the vertical direction, it's likely the bearings in the suspension linkage are worn. If the play is horizontal, it's more likely to be the swinging arm bearings.

Both of these sets of bearings are probably of the caged needle roller variety, but they could be made of nylon, especially in the linkage. I suspect this is what the MOT person meant.

The only real solution is to replace them.

Gilson,
you'll find a bush on each end of your shock. They're like a thick rubber washer seperating the shock outer sleeve (approx 20mm dia) from the fastening bolt sleeve (approx 6mm dia) that passes through it. They allow the shock ends to have slight movement during suspension activity and still be fastened tightly.
Imagine a small version of one of those screw down door stops.

Wear is increased on 'off road' bikes - lots of grit and large suspension movements.

Should just be a push out and replace job.

Back
Top Bottom