Public liability insurance?

Phil Reynolds

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
For my business I need to get some PL insurance in place. Anyone here got some recommendations who to best to contact?

Many thanks,

Phil

Luke, I run two trade shows a year. One at Manchester United football ground and the other at The National Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham. The shows are for the vending industry, so on display are vending machines, ingredients, snacks and drinks etc. We have approx 75 companies exhibiting with roughly one thousand people in the hall during the show which is a one-day show.

We have approved contractors taking care of the shell scheme construction and electrics installation.

Need any more info?

Calling Wapping

Wapping to the bar please :thumb2

I found Direct Line for Business good for my PL insurance. (Not in the vending industry though).

find a broker you trust and like. I have one, PM me if you want to know his details.

We tried when I started our business, but gave up when most companies wouldn't insure us at all and the others wanted premiums of around one-third of our anticipated turnover.

The mere mention of the word 'pharmaceutical' or 'medical' seemed to freak them out entirely.

I use Policybee for a combined Public Liability and Professional Indemnity. It's not too expensive compared to some I know of, costs me £28/month. I know of people who have been quoted over £1000 for PI, though it depends on the nature of your business.

Www.policybee.co.uk

Have you tried asking the venue insurers to do an "add on" type policy ? Each of the venues will have existing PL cover and may be able to "extend" cover for you. :thumb2

Have you tried asking the venue insurers to do an "add on" type policy ? Each of the venues will have existing PL cover and may be able to "extend" cover for you. :thumb2

is exactly what I would suggest and maybe in your contract already

That could be the neatest solution, but do you find these days - that venues limit their cover, insist on you having your own indemnity - and that your indemnity has primacy in the event of a claim?

Al

That could be the neatest solution, but do you find these days - that venues limit their cover, insist on you having your own indemnity - and that your indemnity has primacy in the event of a claim?

Al

the venue will have it's own cover anyway for their own liability e.g. if someone slips on a wet floor in the toilets or a security guard speaks to someone a bit funny - that will be the venue that has liability. The OP needs cover if something his company does ends up in a complaint or litigation e.g. one of his employees damages the equipment of a stand holder or a member of the public gets a paper cut from a leaflet his employee hands out.

It's usually pretty clear where the culpability lies and a venue would not be able to use weasel words to offset their liability to a customer's insurance.

Back
Top Bottom