What do you wear?

Davel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Going LE J'OG next week and want to travel as light as possible but what would you wear for the trip?

Waterproof textile jacket & trousers

Leather jacket & trousers - with a one piece waterproof shell

Personally, I don't like the outer shell things but the leathers supposedly give better protection.

This is my first long'ish trip, so help please:confused:

The important factor is what you're most comfortable in (both physically and mentally). If you feel that your textile suit isn't as safe as your leathers, then it may be that you'll be more relaxed in your leathers. If the leathers are physically restrictive when you've got your oversuit on, then they may not be the best choice.

My choice would be to wear textiles - but then I'm confident in the protection they afford...

Mike:)

Textiles

Comfort is the main factor, plus being waterproof.

Most modern textiles offer similar protection now to leather gear

Arai Sz open-face helmet - in white
Textile waterproof jacket with armour
Armoured jeans
Waterproof over-trousers in topbox.
Gerbing heated gloves (but only plugged in when it's close to zero)
Lightweight Olympia gel gloves (US made, Summer use, in topbox)
Alt-Berg boots

For the new R100GS-PD, I've bought on eBay-
MDR motocross helmet
Fox motocross boots (but at 4 lbs each in weight, they'll take some getting used to) :bounce1

What you don't want to do is wear a waterproof suit that doesn't breathe.

I would go for the textiles considering the time of year, warm, waterproof and breathable.

It's also a good idea to have a spare set of dry gloves nothing worse than cold wet hands miles from home.

Thanks guys - just what I was thinking.

Find the outer waterproof suit rather restrictive and sweaty, so textiles it is.

Oh and two pairs of gloves too!:beerjug:

Do you find open faced helmets ok for mostly road use, or is it better to have the chin guard?

I should think open face is great for the summer and probably doesn't fog up at anytime but are they usable for the colder/ wetter weather conditions?

Yoiks....open faced helmets :eek:

I know Ming and some others use a system lid with the open face mod, but I've never been comfortable with one since I sawa pic of a bloke who'd lost his chin in a long face plant.

Then again, I do wear a Roof boxer sometimes and particularly in Town, I have the flip up chin bit up.......

Again, whatever you feel comfortable with I suppose.

PS this sounds silly but for a long trip, take a pocket sized pack of wet-wipes.......they double as good visor cleaners and a really nice refresher wiped around the neck and face after a good few hours riding.

Enjoy the ride :thumb

Bought the wipes and staying full face helmet, with flip up!

Ta..:)

Cannot beat the comfort of textiles.

Have a Dainese jacket and trousers, nice and warm but you can zip out the liners if you get to hot.

Can vouch for the saftey as well, been binned wearing this stuff twice. Got an almost identical replica to replace the damaged stuff.

I do wear leather jeans if the weather is really good though. More comfortable with the armour.

Flip Flops and Shorts...NO skants

Nothing so liberating as airing your balls to the wind!:D

Seriously though, what ever floats your boat so long as it is not restrictive and provides adequate protection against weather and road rash. All else is the accepted gamble you take on a bike and long journey.
Myself, I prefer textiles with the type of leggings that you can unzip completely with dignity in a busy street to reveal jeans or whatever underneath. Don't forget the "nappy rash cream":eek:

Don't neglect yer nether regions...

Apart from all the good advice already mentioned, give SERIOUS thought to what will actually be next to your skin! After enduring nasty times with cotton T-shirts and underwear (long day in the saddle - know what I mean?), I switched to synthetic stuff from Rohan.
Abolutely marvellous! Use their T-shirts and boxers and the great thing is you only need to bring a couple of each! Each evening I wash them out (takes a few minutes) and they are dry by morning. You COULD get by with one of each, but...
They don't retain moisture like cotton, don't chafe and feel great. Their socks are also top notch - the lightweight summer ones are dead comfy and again wash and dry quickly. The prices seem high, but I have to say they're the best thing yet for longer distances.
There are other manufactures of this 'technical' stuff, so may be worth a trip to your local camping/hiking shop (NOT Milletts!). Rohan have a good website.

Back
Top Bottom