Honda Africa Twin = Rip off Britain?

oldnfat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hmm... £10.5 for the ABS Manual.... In Belgium, France, US and Aus the bike is about the same price as a BMW 800GS with ABS. In the UK the Honda is approaching 2k more. Also the price of the accessories seem to be about 30% higher here.

I wonder if it is because we see stuff as a monthly payment rather than a purchase price....either way we seem to be paying over the odds....again.

Am I the only one to think this is a lot of money for a fairly basic twin?

Hmm... £10.5 for the ABS Manual.... In Belgium, France, US and Aus the bike is about the same price as a BMW 800GS with ABS. In the UK the Honda is approaching 2k more. Also the price of the accessories seem to be about 30% higher here.

I wonder if it is because we see stuff as a monthly payment rather than a purchase price....either way we seem to be paying over the odds....again.

Nope....we pay through the nose for everything else. :nenau

I'd rather pay what I have for an AT than a much higher price for a more basic twin (GS).At least the paint won't fall off 100 metres from the showroom and it might start the next day...........but I get your point.

But because the UK has to have so many non jobs, i.e. H & S bollocks, personnel bollocks, rip off everything else that you need to sell these vehicles, then you have to include that and pass it to the mug/customer.
I charge an extortionate sum for what I sell through my website, all because of this rubbish, plus the average Brit is a complete pain in the arse to deal with, so therefore they should have to pay more because of the psychological trauma involved with dealing with an average Brit....It goes some way to paying for my counselling.:beerjug:

I'd rather pay what I have for an AT than a much higher price for a more basic twin (GS).At least the paint won't fall off 100 metres from the showroom and it might start the next day...........but I get your point.

Nice to see you carrying on with your anti BMW crusade.:thumb:beerjug:

More silliness.........:thumb2

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 689
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 695
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 730
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 795
HOLD THE FRONT PAGE!!!!!​

Manufacturer won't sell something for cost to manufacture + 10% but instead sells it for what they think the market will stand in order to maximise profits :eek:

Andres

Nice to see you carrying on with your anti BMW crusade.:thumb:beerjug:

It's not a crusade.It's just that my eyes aren't blinkered to only purchase vehicles from one manufacturer.Especially if that manufacturer relies more on it's marketing campaign and than it's build quality and reliability.

Nothing to stop you buying one in Germany;)

It's not a crusade.It's just that my eyes aren't blinkered to only purchase vehicles from one manufacturer.Especially if that manufacturer relies more on it's marketing campaign and than it's build quality and reliability.

:blagblah

I've never had an issue with paint falling off or reliability on any of my BMW's. I'd never rule out going for another make of bike, but there's nothing else out there to tempt me. Yet.

Honda will adjust their pricing to maximise their profit. In some territories it makes more sense to sell at a higher price and lower volumes, in other territories, the reverse.

I don't see why this is so surprising or hard to understand.

Honda will adjust their pricing to maximise their profit. In some territories it makes more sense to sell at a higher price and lower volumes, in other territories, the reverse.

I don't see why this is so surprising or hard to understand.

Exactly. But a lot of people on here don't understand how business works.

It might be interesting to compare pcp repayments. Factor in a bit of manufacturer subsidised credit and forecast future value, and see what the comparison looks like.

It might be interesting to compare pcp repayments. Factor in a bit of manufacturer subsidised credit and forecast future value, and see what the comparison looks like.

Davey and Arsey will have new bikes by then.

Exactly. But a lot of people on here don't understand how business works.

Completely understand how business works. More importantly, I am going to show them how a customer works. Ordered a UK spec Tri from dealer in Brussels for £9127. I asked him if he will get into trouble with Honda and his response was that he might get some heat BUT he is more concerned about falling foul of EU regs. .....as will Honda. Still sceptical but the order is in and deposit paid with delivery scheduled for March.

Once back in the UK I have to re reg which has a small charge attached to it....plus train trip at and tunnel back....£200 in total with fuel etc. With the accessories saving about £2k in total.

If Market pricing is such an issue.... Go buy one in Denmark....

Will be good to see how you get on... .... I was under the impression that they have to sell you a bike, but are under no obligation to sell you a UK spec bike...... That is the dealer choice and the thing he may get a stiff word from Honda on... A few years back when bikes where cheaper here then in Europe two south coast dealers that i knew of lost their Franchise for selling bikes to Europe...
Completely understand how business works. More importantly, I am going to show them how a customer works. Ordered a UK spec Tri from dealer in Brussels for £9127. I asked him if he will get into trouble with Honda and his response was that he might get some heat BUT he is more concerned about falling foul of EU regs. .....as will Honda. Still sceptical but the order is in and deposit paid with delivery scheduled for March.

Once back in the UK I have to re reg which has a small charge attached to it....plus train trip at and tunnel back....£200 in total with fuel etc. With the accessories saving about £2k in total.

Completely understand how business works. More importantly, I am going to show them how a customer works.

Good for you.....:beerjug:

I'd prefer not to pay more than I have too and I guess it'd be slightly more complicated/expensive for me (living in N.I.). But it's just less hassle to deal with my local dealer here (we obviously have much less choice too in that dept) who I have a great relationship with. I've struck a great deal on the bike and accessories which will save me some money at least. Not £2k's worth, mind you. :rob

Back
Top Bottom