Zumo 590lm questions

StephenMac

Reaction score
I have just wired my new 590lm to the battery. I simply fitted the mount and ran the cables back through the bike and connected the positive and neutral wires to the relevant battery terminals. My concern is that the cradle always seems to be live without the ignition on. Is there a better way to do this and will the cradle drain the battery if the sat nav is not fitted or is it fine like this?
All help greatly appreciated. Stephen

Seems to be live? It's definitely live, all the time. Will it flatten your battery? Maybe yes, maybe no. Let's assume, yes.

Want to have it switched?

(i) Insert switch into the feed. Go to Maplins buy a suitable switch (a couple of quid) and wire in. Job done.

(ii) If you have a suitable BMW, wire it into the dedicated feed that is usually hidden away somewhere in the beak area. There are lots of threads and posts on how to do it, where it lives, what you'll need etc etc

(iii) Wire it into any other switched live feed. The side light or rear light, for example. Lots of websites on how to do that, too.

As wapping has suggested...It will be live all the time...you don't want that...get it wired to a switched live ( one that comes on with the ignition );)

There's a switched live that goes into the diagnostic plug but don't ask me what colour it is as I've slept and drank a lot since then :blast

I have just wired my new 590lm to the battery. I simply fitted the mount and ran the cables back through the bike and connected the positive and neutral wires to the relevant battery terminals. My concern is that the cradle always seems to be live without the ignition on. Is there a better way to do this and will the cradle drain the battery if the sat nav is not fitted or is it fine like this?
All help greatly appreciated. Stephen

I have done the same as you hard wired to the battery easy fit.
Does it drain the battery no!
Yes the cradle may be live but if there is no device connected then no current will pass through it.
Mine has been on nearly a year with no issues.

Don't worry about it.

Andy

You could always tap in to the back of the accessory socket...in fact I'm sure you can get a piggy back plug in for it :thumb

I have done the same as you hard wired to the battery easy fit.
Does it drain the battery no!
Yes the cradle may be live but if there is no device connected then no current will pass through it.
Mine has been on nearly a year with no issues.

Don't worry about it.

Andy
Thanks Andy, I will try it and see. I am happy to remove the device when I stop as I don't have a lockable mount anyway. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom