1959 Norton Dominator Restoration

(RIP) Tunneruk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Right, here we go .........

This bike came to stay at CT HQ back in November as one of three barn find bikes which had stood dormant for 41 years. There's a thread about the day I went and uncovered them here - http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...-kind-of-way)?highlight=barn+find+interesting

This Norton has had just one owner, he's still with us but is now a very elderly gentleman. I have been commissioned to restore it by his nephew Peter who himself is 60, he remembers his uncle riding the bike when he was a small boy!

The bike is showing 18,000 miles and is absolutely 100% completely and utterly original, every nut, bolt, cable and wire. Even the handlebar grips are original!

The 41 years in the dank garage hadn't particularly been kind to the old girl but things could have been worse. The chrome has been affected most but the rest of the bike has faired ok considering.

The exhausts are absolutely shot, so much so that one of them literally fell apart on my trailer on the way back. The Chrome on the rims is just falling off.

The bike did however roll freely and the brakes seemed to work, as did the suspension.

_MG_8051 by tunneruk, on Flickr

_MG_8053 by tunneruk, on Flickr

_MG_8044 by tunneruk, on Flickr

_MG_8047 by tunneruk, on Flickr

_MG_8046 by tunneruk, on Flickr

_MG_8055 by tunneruk, on Flickr

_MG_8054 by tunneruk, on Flickr

I wheeled it up onto the ramp just before Christmas. Sadly the engine was seized somewhere. I quick look in the oil tank didn't look promising. Any oil that might have been in there 40 years ago had slowly made it's way out through the bottom of the crank case a long time ago :eek:
I soaked the bores with diesel for a couple of days before popping the chain cover off and putting a socket on the crank to ease the engine over.
The engine did ease over but there was a stubborn seized component somewhere in the valve train preventing the engine from turning over. Not ideal but not the end of the world.

Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work stripping her down!!

IMG_0145 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_0147 by tunneruk, on Flickr

The bike came apart amazingly well. There wasn't a single seized not and bolt on the whole bike........ Until I tried to undo the exhaust collets :ague

Ordinarily these can be undone with a simple 'C' spanner .... not today my friends, not today .....

Luckily Pete runs the engineering firm next door so I drew up what I needed and he had it machined up :thumb

It's very similar to an Airhead spanner

IMG_0189 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_0192 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_0191 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_0194 by tunneruk, on Flickr

Sadly the 'C' shape wasn't man enough to unto the biblically tight collets and quickly bent out of shape. Seeing as the exhausts were completely unusable I cut the downpipes and welded up the new collet tool. Fortunately it worked and the collets relinquished their grip!

IMG_0198 by tunneruk, on Flickr

Time to crack on with the strip down ..

IMG_0207 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_0306 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_0455 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_0450 by tunneruk, on Flickr

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bC_Ge7Femrc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The bike is now 99% stripped ..... time for the real work to begin :steptoe

What a project! I'd like to something similar one day. I will look forward to seeing how you get on with it. I quite like the look of the tank as it is curiously.

Can't wait to here about your trials and tribs. Enjoy the journey :thumb2
Time for stocking up the :popcorn

Brings back memories, bought a 1962 Dominator 99 the same day I passed my bike test in Norwich 40 years ago, it had been unused for several years, all I did was change the spark plugs and put a bit of oil in the cylinders, a gallon of petrol and it started more or less first time, I used it for 2 years before selling it on, I paid £80, plus PX'd my Honda ST 70 for it. Should have kept both!

Another Chris Epic I m bookmarking this one. Looking at the Amal is it a Monobloc, i got a full service kit from Burlen for mine fore not a lot of money. Made the rebuild so much easier as I knew the carb was right.

I wondered what'd happen to the bikes when I read the barn find thread a few weeks back. Looking ofrward to reading your restoration. Nice video as well :D

Another Chris Epic I m bookmarking this one. Looking at the Amal is it a Monobloc, i got a full service kit from Burlen for mine fore not a lot of money. Made the rebuild so much easier as I knew the carb was right.

In all honesty Steve I don't know. The original is in very nice condition, I'll refurbish and rebuild it back like new.

Yes, it's an Amal Monobloc :thumb

Watching with great interest :thumb

Brings back memories, bought a 1962 Dominator 99 the same day I passed my bike test in Norwich 40 years ago, it had been unused for several years, all I did was change the spark plugs and put a bit of oil in the cylinders, a gallon of petrol and it started more or less first time, I used it for 2 years before selling it on, I paid £80, plus PX'd my Honda ST 70 for it. Should have kept both!

My 1961 slimline Domi cost me £35 back in 1969 :tears:tearsI currently have the offer of the same bike , yes that actual bike, back, partially restored for um, er, a LOT more than that. For all kinds of reasons (but mainly space to do the job), I had decided against. This thread is weakening my resolve!

that is stunning! well done with the restoration

Come on - we're waiting :hide

Have a good 2016

Patience Grasshopper.

I've had to take a week away from the Norton to try and catch up with a backlog of other paint jobs. I'm getting there slowly.
I'm hoping to get moving on it again next week! ;)

... Seeing as the exhausts were completely unusable I cut the downpipes ...
:eek: What?!
They are / were in better nick than the downpipes presently in use on my Guzzi! :blast

Great thread by the way. :thumb2

Patience Grasshopper.

I've had to take a week away from the Norton to try and catch up with a backlog of other paint jobs. I'm getting there slowly.
I'm hoping to get moving on it again next week! ;)

That's a really good idea Chris. :thumb. :augie. :D

Back
Top Bottom