Traveling to Ireland & UK this spring - wondering about Bike Insurance

pzvt

Reaction score
Greetings
Planning on flying my 1200 GS to Dublin from Montreal this spring and fly it back from Heathrow. Wondering where I can purchase bike liability and comprehensive insurance for a good rate while the bike is on your side of the pond. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Insurance purchased from a UK company will be much cheaper than insurance purchased from an Irish, or Irish-based, company and will cover you for both UK & Ireland. And Europe should that be part of your plans.

But I'm not sure they'll insure a US registered bike or someone without local residence. But I could be wrong.
It happened once before ;)

Will your own insurance company not cover you, even at additional cost ?

This question has been asked on this site before but I can't remember if there was any answer.

The problem you have is that most UK (and I think Irish) Motor insurers demand a UK / Irish registered vehicle and / or a permanent UK / Irish address. Though it can't be impossible, given the number of cars I see with Arabic registrations driving around London's west end.

The second problem you might have is that the vast majority of the members on this site are UK citizens (with UK registered bikes) who struggle enough with their own insurance, let alone with a foreigner's. You might do better asking on one of the more international centric forums, like:

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/

Enjoy your trip.

Now that's an interesting website. It seems that they are a broker or agent, issuing insurance policies on behalf of Axa, the giant French insurer. That may well make sense as a friend of mine insured his Nepalese registered and number plated bike via Axa.

OP if you can get a definitive answer on how YOU end up insuring your US registered bike for use here in the UK / Ireland and/or anywhere else, it would be good to hear from you.

Enjoy your trip.

Back
Top Bottom