Question RE RAM cradles & Audio

markie_wales

Reaction score
Hi

Costing up various 2610 optins here & GPSW's 2610 + mounting kit + power/audio cable "deal". Does anyone know if the RAM Street Pilot Cradle (RAM-HOL-GA9) is plastic or metal, since when I was on the phone to Autocom they expressed doubts if it was a plastic one. "Three rides and it'll crack mate" I thnk were his actual words. If it is indeeed plastic, has anyone any experience good or bad?

Second question (if I may). I'm not into intercoms / music / phones when I ride, but I do want the option of audio for the voice directions - I get the feeling that Paris, at night, in the rain, after a long day, and not knowing where I'm going could benefit from "get in the left hand lane" etc. So, without resorting to the whole Autocom setup, does anyone know if just feeding the audio striaght from the 2610 (via a Power/Audio Cable 010-10495-02) to a set of; say; Autocom headphones will be adaquate in terms of volume? I do wear ear plugs but am not too worried about the volume difference required between fast auto route work and "in town" work. Looks like Autocom could do me the jack + cable + head phones for 50 ish quid.

Many Thanks

Mark

Does anyone know if the RAM Street Pilot Cradle (RAM-HOL-GA9) is plastic or metal, since when I was on the phone to Autocom they expressed doubts if it was a plastic one. "Three rides and it'll crack mate" I thnk were his actual words. If it is indeeed plastic, has anyone any experience good or bad?

Interesting !! ..... The RAM-B-149Z is construcetd from marine grade aluminium, powder coat paint finish. The 1" rubber ball is moulded onto the post. The RAM ball joint gives movement in two axis. The RAM mount will absorb 50g shock !. The RAM-HOl-GA9 is plastic (polycarbonate and another polymer).

There is the RAP-B-149 which is 'plastic', same as the GA9 cradle with moulded rubber ball (so ditto comments) and the arm is a glass reinforced nylon, which is tough.

RAM-man

markie_wales said:
Hi

Costing up various 2610 optins here & GPSW's 2610 + mounting kit + power/audio cable "deal". Does anyone know if the RAM Street Pilot Cradle (RAM-HOL-GA9) is plastic or metal, since when I was on the phone to Autocom they expressed doubts if it was a plastic one. "Three rides and it'll crack mate" I thnk were his actual words. If it is indeeed plastic, has anyone any experience good or bad?

Cant comment on the 2610 RAM bracket, but I bought the Quest from GPSW with a RAM bracket and mount. The bracket is plastic and it's bloody excellent, no signs of any problems after around 450 miles.

Hope this is of some help :D

Steve

markie_wales said:
.. I'm not into intercoms / music / phones when I ride, but I do want the option of audio for the voice directions .
I bought my audio cable from www.adventure-motorcycling.co.uk for £20 - £25. It's a flat (ish) speaker that is meant to fit into your helmet. I've only tried mine once, and could easily hear the direction even at 2/3 volume, with plugs.

Re: Re: Question RE RAM cradles & Audio

Beemer said:
Cant comment on the 2610 RAM bracket, but I bought the Quest from GPSW with a RAM bracket and mount. The bracket is plastic and it's bloody excellent, no signs of any problems after around 450 miles.

Hope this is of some help :D

Steve

I'll second that... i also have the plastic RAM mount for Quest (I'm sure it's built using same material as mount for 2610) and have only done around 650 miles with it so far, but it has been awesome, very secure, robust and I am supremely confident with its performance and quality of construction.

Hope that helps......

All

Just a follow up on RAM mounts for 2610's - Autocom are wrong on this one. I got one anyway (thanks for the posts) and can say it's fine. Been out a couple of times now (once 200 yards down an unmade road before I gave up[1]) and it's fine. Good bit of kit, and really I can't see what Autocom's point was. Unless there resell TT mounts!! looked at the biuld quality, and I can't see it failing under any normal use (Paris - Dakar may be different).

So, sorry to casting aspersions on this fine bit of kit.

Mark

[1] I've got a Fazer 100 not a GS :)

I've got a ram mount and a Garmin one. I use the Ram one. Seems secure to me!!:D

Seen Markie and sorted out the Fazer 100 and he's now using a short arm RAM-B-201-A with a GA9 cradle after playing with over the weekend to get the best position over the clocks.

Markie realizes the "Three rides and it'll crack mate" comment is a myth - another happy user.

RAM-man

> Seen Markie and sorted out the Fazer 100 and he's now using
> a short arm RAM-B-201-A with a GA9 cradle after playing with
> over the weekend to get the best position over the clocks.

I'll take your word for the part numbering ;) But yes the new arm is much better.

> Markie realizes the "Three rides and it'll crack mate" comment is
> a myth

Agreed - no idea why Autocom were so negative.

> another happy user.

Nearly Steve, "another VERY happy user."

Thanks for all your help. I'll do you some photo's for your Gallery over the next couple of days.

Cheers

Mark

RAM-man said:
Interesting !! ..... The RAM-B-149Z is construcetd from marine grade aluminium, powder coat paint finish. The 1" rubber ball is moulded onto the post. The RAM ball joint gives movement in two axis.

Surely, as the mount is a ball, it provides for motion in three axes?

That is, the device can pitch, roll, and yaw about the ball.

Mark
Have you got a pic of the unit mounted on the Faz?
Cheers

Shaun

The Bean Machine said:
Mark
Have you got a pic of the unit mounted on the Faz?
Cheers

Shaun

Shaun

I have just taken some to send to Steve for his web site, but if you want them, drop me a mail at markie underscore wales at hotmail dot com & I'll forward them directly.

You do need the shorter arm though. With the long one, the 2610 obscures the clocks too much.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom