BMW fix for bars

iandavid

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Don't know if it's correct but over on the S1000XR forum someone says that BMW have come up with a fix for the vibes. Apparently it is also a retrofit and will be fitted on a recall. Anyone have any further info - true/false?

It would be good as there is deffo a problem but as for the truth in it I have no idea (as usual......)

The cynic in me suggests that BMW will resist as its admitting they got it wrong.............

I have been told the vibrations go after a short while. Not good enough, I test rode it and dismissed it as a possibility

Don't know if it's correct but over on the S1000XR forum someone says that BMW have come up with a fix for the vibes. Apparently it is also a retrofit and will be fitted on a recall. Anyone have any further info - true/false?

False-there are no vibes,cos Nutty said so !!!!

Yep it's true. Couple of months away yet though.

Haven't they started fitting a rubber gasket type thingy where you might normally fit a bar riser?

Isolastic Suspension?

In 1967 the new Norton Commando was fitted with the 'Isolastic' anti-vibration system. The frame isolated engine vibration from the rest of the bike by way of rubber mounts. It worked.

Whether such a system is necessary for the XR is debatable. The shaking dished out by the pre-isolastic Nortons was in a different league to any XR vibes. (Although that was of course nearly fifty years ago.) We shall have to wait and see.

In 1967 the new Norton Commando was fitted with the 'Isolastic' anti-vibration system. The frame isolated engine vibration from the rest of the bike by way of rubber mounts. It worked.

Whether such a system is necessary for the XR is debatable. The shaking dished out by the pre-isolastic Nortons was in a different league to any XR vibes. (Although that was of course nearly fifty years ago.) We shall have to wait and see.

It was a nightmare - shim adjusted and went out of tolerance at the drop of a hat. I never owned one of the later ones you could 'dial-in' the adjustment on, by that time I had sold the last Brit bike I've ever owned...

It certainly was (and there were also problems with frame flexing and wheel alignment) but it worked so far as vibration was concerned. Fifty years on it should be possible to produce a more reliable, less maintenance heavy set up. But as I said its necessity for the XR is debatable and I'm certainly not advocating it - I'm very pleased with my XR as it is.

GSA>SXR>GSA....That was a waste of time then, a long test ride could have told you more:blast

True but how do you test ride a bike that hasn't been launched. You pays your money and make your choice. The main reason for me changing wasn't the vibe but I just prefer the twin

Terry

Back
Top Bottom