Any feedback on dodgy clutch around 30K

Mark Hooton

Cymarcbikeparts
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Fella`s - I did a decent geezer a kindness a few years ago and he`s remembered and got back to me with an idea about a tool for a clutch repair. Seemingly the clutch `goes` around 30K :confused: on `slant four engines - possibly the XR?

I was wondering if any of us had any such problems around 30K or if indeed you`d heard anything? This is what he has said - once again, he`s a decent fella and I`m just wondering if we had heard of anything..............:nenau

This is what he said........................

Well this time I'm looking to repay the favor. I also modify clutches for the slant four across the frame BMW 1200 and 1300 engines. S, GT and R model designations. All have shocking clutch issues by 30,000 miles or less. These rocket ships are now falling into the hands of DIY types who simply will not pay for the work to be done by BMW. Particularly at a cost that's one third the value of the bike and the same problem can be back in 10,000 miles.

There in lies the opportunity. BMW are charging £54 including the VAT for their special clutch holding tool that's required even to change the friction plates and of course the clutch basket it's self. No one else makes them and its only a fool would try without one but plenty are and its not good for the already not so robust gearbox. Thought you might like to manufacture, stock and distribute through cymark? Pictures and rough sketch to give idea of dimensions attached. I'm not after anything other than a link I can send owners who use my service to pick up a tool at probably half the main agents charge with a reasonable delivery time. Finding the right tool, never mind forking out £54 is beyond many owners so a barrier to my interest. If all runs to plan I will be putting a set of instructions together in a month or so. Could include cymarc version and url in the pictures.

Back
Top Bottom