Ford database update

Mouse

Reaction score
The http://wetroads.co.uk website has been updated recently, so I have updated my conversion of their database.

The new file can be downloaded from:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rik.griffin/archives/fords07-04-05.zip

To summarise, this is a ZIP file containing many GPX files, one for each county listed on the wetroads site. GPX files can be loaded by many popular mapping programs, including MapSource. When you import the file you'll have a waypoint for each ford in that county. Thanks are due to Lee Chapman, maintainer of the wetroads site, for gathering all this data in the first place and granting permission for me to use it in this way.

(ps - moderators, is this worthy of a sticky? I could then post updates as they occur to the same thread.)

Thanks Mouse, great work.

If anyone's not able to use GPX files directly then GPSBabel will convert them into something you can use. A good GUI frontend is available from the Quakemap site:

http://www.earthquakemap.com/pages/home.html#main

under "product" on the left of the page click on GPSBalbelWrapper, it makes it very simple and convenient. I've no connection, just a happy user.

-Simon

What am I doing wrong, can only open MPS files in mapsource :confused:

Ok, excuse me if I misjudge your PC knowledge ...

Go to file -> open

There should be a menu labelled "files of type". This menu should contain many different types including MPS, GPX, GDB, and "all files *.*" Select either "GPX" or "all files" from this menu.

If this menu isn't in your version maybe you need to upgrade to 6.5 (free fom Garmin's web site I think). If this doesn't solve it then I'm sorry I am stumped!

Top job Mouse - thanks. I've just plotted out a route down to Lands End and back taking in 59 different Fords on the trip dpwn and back :D There were more in my route but I cust out some of the serious 4* Fords - I figure maybe not wose to attempt them fully loaded on just tourances . I think I'll keep my waterproofs on ;)

Cheers Mouse, I will try to upgrage, can only get MPS and GDB files from the open.

I suspect that cornish ford F0-Tregolls (N51 01.858 W6 39.934) is a bit deep :D

Clive said:
I suspect that cornish ford F0-Tregolls (N51 01.858 W6 39.934) is a bit deep :D

Hehe you may be right :D

I notice actually, that Lee did an update to the website the day after I posted this new data, typical! And that particular ford is no longer present :)

Clive I have tried to find Tregolls half a dozen times and it ain't there nothing nout even asked some locals bout it.

I only live 3 miles from its location the guy that sent it in must have been dreaming it.

But if you want a deep one try Bradford that is serious had a look but as on my own with Tourances was not going to even look at trying it. The photo does not do it justice.

Attachments

• Bradford1c.jpg
    Bradford1c.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,690
Wow! I'd forgotten about the 'wetroads' site having posted the photos and descriptions for many of the Essex fords a couples of years ago, before my hard drive packed in along with all my links. Good to see the 'Mike Carr' entries are still there. My favorite - Millers Green I have't ridden in ages...guess where I'm going at the weekend!!

Mike

I briefly had the speed camera overlay on my 2610 - I didn't like it as it obscured the map on large zoom settings. Does having a couple of hundred waypoints loaded really slow down the map plotting that much? I can't honestly say I have noticed.

Having said that, each to their own - when I have time I'll see if there's an easy way to make an overlay from the fords data.

Back
Top Bottom