Chilly early season Balkan trip..

MrIFan

Reaction score
Just back from another trip down through Serbia and Romania so here are a few pictures to tempt you for when the weather warms up.....

First of all a quick stop in Novi Sad after two days of motorways to thaw out at the NS Riders club house

19077592-L.jpg

Bakerman, Sergej says hello :D

19077596-L.jpg

Then it was down through Serbia to ride along the Danube and through the Kazan gorges via the Fortress at Golubac near where St George reputedly slew the Dragon

19077599-L.jpg

a closer look

19077603-L.jpg

Further along the gorge is a sculpture which has always puzzled me, I guess it's a Dragons egg sited near the cave the battle between the Dragon and St George took place? if anyone knows for sure please let me know

19077608-L.jpg

The controversial Hydro-Electric Dam that now forms the border crossing between Serbia and Romania

19077609-L.jpg

On to the Romanian side of the Danube and one of the first things I saw was a signpost pointing up a track to a Monastry, time for the first bit of off roading of the trip..

19077614-L.jpg

unfortunately the bank of the ford had been washed out by the melt waters and I didn't fancy tackling an 18 inch step fully loaded. Had a walk over the bridge to the Monastry and that was quite exciting!! These Monks obviously have a lot of faith in God!! Either that or they are a lot lighter than me :D

19077612-L.jpg

After a day riding along the Danube it was time to head for the mountains. After being warned that the route I wanted to try over the Parangului mountains would still be totaly blocked by a late snowfall I decided to at least try a lower pass on the way towards it. I figured if that was ok then it would be worth trying the higher pass. And I can't even use the excuse of the stupidity of youth anymore....:rolleyes:
The first view of the mountains at Baile Herculane was promising..

19077618-L.jpg

but it wasn't long before the road revealed what lay ahead..

19077620-L.jpg

the water runing across the road is actualy runing over a solid sheet of ice!!! Oh well only another 1800' to the top (quite a low pass at 3445', still in the Carpatian foothills) how much worse can it get....

19077623-L.jpg

At least the snow plough had been through

19077626-L.jpg

After an entertaining ride I decided that the 7000'+ pass was probably better off left for later in the year:p

So it was out onto the Transylvanian plain and a few easier roads and tracks, and lots of fortified Churches

19077635-L.jpg

and Romania's very own leaning tower

19077636-L.jpg

Made it to Brasov eventualy and met up with Gavin, who had been working out there for a few days. We also met up with a friend of ours Colin Shaw who runs Land Rover tours of Romania and is the font of all knowlidge on things Romanian
http://www.roving-romania.co.uk/
Colin was kind enough to take us up in to the Mountains around Brasov to look at a few propertys we were interested in, a good job too, if this is what happens in a Landy I'm sure glad we weren't on the bike...

19077650-L.jpg

even with 4X4 and diff locks ice still wins!! The picture doesn't really do justice to the depth of the ditch or the angle the Landy was leaning at, good job there were 5 of us in there to dig and push it out:D

19077653-L.jpg

After all the excitment it was time to head homeward. A blast across Romania back to Novi Sad for two days of party in Novi Sad followed by a ride up through Hungary

19077589-L.jpg

then back on to the motorways for two days to get to the ferry on time and back home to freezing fog and British drivers!! Where's the bloody ferry timetable!!

There are more pictures at
http://mrifan.smugmug.com/

If these pictures have whetted anyones apetite we still have one or possibly two places left on our guided trip in June, see all the info here...
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38150

Back
Top Bottom